Can I bench test a KX155 at home?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
Does anyone know how to bench test a KX155 at home prior to install? I just picked up a 14v version pretty cheap and was told “its in good working condition.” I would like to teat it prior to install to make sure that it does in fact work. Anyone know how to do this?

Find someone that has a KX155 installed in their airplane, slip it out of the rack and slip yours in. Turn it on and see if it works. This would be a whole lot simpler than what you're proposing for a one time checkout.

If you want an even more definitive checkout, give it to an avionics shop and have them check it.

Find someone that has a KX155 installed in their airplane, slip it out of the rack and slip yours in. Turn it on and see if it works. This would be a whole lot simpler than what you're proposing for a one time checkout.

That's how I would do it too.

If you want an even more definitive checkout, give it to an avionics shop and have them check it.

What Witmo said. Any av shop worth their salt will plug it into a bench test stand and test for you no-charge.

Exactly what I would say.

I have done this several times with my avionics guy; this is the only way to do a useful test.
Otherwise, how are you going to hook up to the connector at the back? Alligator clips?
You'd need over a half dozen, lol. Think blue smoke.
Even then can you measure the output wattage of a transmission?
My avionics guy can do a half dozen function tests that you are not going to get on the average home garage bench, and he won't make the thing smoke.

BTW, I think asking skilled people with expensive equpment to work for free is not something any person worth their salt would do. My avionics guy charges me and I am happy to pay him.

If you got the tray, find the schematics so you know which pins are power and rig an antenna for bench test.

I just picked up a 14v version pretty cheap and was told “its in good working condition.”
FWIW: while using another aircraft as a test bed is convenient, etc., without knowing more history on this unit there is always a risk this radio may cause an issue in the test aircraft. Considering you got it cheap, getting a function check (not bench check) done at a shop will give you a better result. Last function check I did cost me $95 while bench checks were going around $250.

Any pilot who is worth his salt wouldn’t ask a shop he wasn’t a known customer of to do this.

Oh c'mon! Shops bench test equipment every day that is shipped or brought in. Radio is benched, tested, signed off (if within specs) and returned to the customer with a bill.

Any pilot who is worth his salt wouldn’t ask a shop he wasn’t a known customer of to do this.

Absolutely, why not. New customer relationships start with a dialog. Doesn’t sound like the OP has a relationship with an Av shop. Maybe he gets a small charge for the bench power on, but likely not. I’ve never seen a shop charge for a smoke test on a bench rig.

Since when is it an insult to bring a bring a KX-155 to an av shop? The OP was looking for a smoke test, not a complete diagnostic.

Absolutely, why not. New customer relationships start with a dialog. Doesn’t sound like the OP has a relationship with an Av shop. Maybe he gets a small charge for the bench power on, but likely not. I’ve never seen a shop charge for a smoke test on a bench rig.

Since when is it an insult to bring a bring a KX-155 to an av shop? The OP was looking for a smoke test, not a complete diagnostic.

It’s not as long as you aren’t insulted when they tell you they are too busy today.

All this sounds good and I would prefer to take it to a shop. Anyone have any recommendations for a reputable avionics shop in the San Diego area? I am going to need some new avionics anyway.

IMHO, as others have said take it to and avionics shop and get it tested to specs. Why play around with a piece of equipment vital to flight safety.

Last time I looked, no radio ever flew an airplane into the side of a mountain.

Jim

Something to consider, ATC has helped me a lot navigating weather in the mountains. Especially storm track and speed. Also in an emergency I’d like to let someone know I was in trouble since so much is wilderness in the mountainous west.

All this sounds good and I would prefer to take it to a shop. Anyone have any recommendations for a reputable avionics shop in the San Diego area? I am going to need some new avionics anyway.

Aren't you at Gillespie? Try instrument Overhaul service. They are a full service avionics shop located near the cafe.

I am out of Gillespie and will probably use Instrument Overhaul but its always good to get recommendations. I have never used them before and for all I know they could be terrible.

FWIW, I have a vote against Neal at Gillespie.

Their QA seems to be trending to zero based on my (and several other's) recent experiences. I hope they pull their head up and get better.

For my panel replacement, I used Ramona Avionics.

So I just put the new KX155 into my buddies plane and it works just fine. I told him I didnt want to mess up his plane but he said it wouldnt be an issue.

Back