Can file with skyvector now?

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
Just noticed you can now file flight plans with skyvector now. I haven't been able to file on Garmin Pilot since the recent stuff going on. I think I may use this. Any opinions or thoughts?

Yaeh it looks like you can... Do you ever use Foreflight or just Garmin Pilot? I pretty much file all my IFR flight plans with Foreflight personally

Have been filing with foreflight,no problem works great. Never tried sky vector.

Yeah, I've been playing with the skyvector changes for a few days at work, I hope they don't overly complicate skyvector, and I liked the simple route dialog before.

When it comes to filing, it's no where near fltplan.

IMO skyvector is a great tool, I normally just leave it up on screen at work with the wx radar overlay, it's prefect for quick off the cuffs.

The only change I think was needed, which hasn't been addressed, is a auto refresh on the radar.

Yeah, I've been playing with the skyvector changes for a few days at work, I hope they don't overly complicate skyvector, and I liked the simple route dialog before.
"This more more complicated than I want:
If you don't want to use any of the new features, feel free to ignore them. Make your flight plan with your mouse just like you did before, or type your waypoints in the route box just like you did before, and feel free to ignore everything else"

The only change I think was needed, which hasn't been addressed, is a auto refresh on the radar.
The workaround, of course, is to click and drag the image, even just a tad. Forces an immediate refresh.

The workaround, of course, is to click and drag the image, even just a tad. Forces an immediate refresh.

Indeed,

Still it would be nice for a auto refresh ever couple minutes or something. When you leave it up on screen for 12hrs it sucks when you do the screen jerk and the whole wx system jumps :lol:

Seems like the SIGMETS, TFRs and wx dots refresh, don't know why the radar can't

"This more more complicated than I want:
If you don't want to use any of the new features, feel free to ignore them. Make your flight plan with your mouse just like you did before, or type your waypoints in the route box just like you did before, and feel free to ignore everything else"

I know, just the interface is more cluttered now and one of the best aspects of skyvector was how clean it was.

Not complaining, it's a great tool and it's free, that sweet!

Just my opinion.

FltPlan still hasnt worked it's magic on me... I am a fairly new pilot (2 years, 500 hours) but I like using Foreflight to file and Skyvector when I'm home messing around and figuring out routes and stuff....

That's true.

Previously I just typed the whole route in a box, as a single text string. I still can. For example type this in the white box and hit enter:
kjfk den klax
and you get a route from NYC to Los Angeles, with a waypoint at the Denver VOR. Same as before.

Just about the only extra inconvenience, compared to the old site, is that to see the total distance and time I must click something, either the Route button to create a popup, or the Nav Log button to open an entirely new browser page.

A nice new feature: the ability to generate a printable Nav Log that's useful in flight.

I'm sure I won't file from SkyVector. I use Skyvector before I go to Foreflight and then I file with Fltplan, and I won't change that.

Last edited:
Skyvector sucks on a mobile device now. Has anyone figured out a way to close the flight panning square on a mobile device?

That's true.

Previously I just typed the whole route in a box, as a single text string. I still can. For example type this in the white box and hit enter:
kjfk den klax
and you get a route from NYC to Los Angeles, with a waypoint at the Denver VOR. Same as before.

Just about the only extra inconvenience, compared to the old site, is that to see the total distance and time I must click something, either the Route button to create a popup, or the Nav Log button to open an entirely new browser page.

A nice new feature: the ability to generate a printable Nav Log that's useful in flight.

I'm sure I won't file from SkyVector. I use Skyvector before I go to Foreflight and then I file with Fltplan, and I won't change that.

Another extra inconvenience is trying to add a waypoint mid-route - say to avoid a restricted area. Rubber-banding in the extra point adds it to the end of the route.

Anybody know how to get it mid-route?

Another extra inconvenience is trying to add a waypoint mid-route - say to avoid a restricted area. Rubber-banding in the extra point adds it to the end of the route.

Anybody know how to get it mid-route?

You have to click between the two points you want to put it in the route box. Then manually type in the point you want to go there.

If you simply right click the chart, it'll add it to the end.

If I'm on the laptop (MacPro) I use SkyVector to run the various scenarios, but will always use ForeFlight to file. Once ForeFlight releases ForeFlight Web, I doubt I'll ever look at Skyvector again.

You have to click between the two points you want to put it in the route box. Then manually type in the point you want to go there.

If you simply right click the chart, it'll add it to the end.

Thanks.

And that sux.
Typing a lat long ain't gonna happen.

Thanks.

And that sux.
Typing a lat long ain't gonna happen.

Maybe add it, then copy and paste it in the route where you want it.

I liked the old interface better personally.

Maybe add it, then copy and paste it in the route where you want it.

I liked the old interface better personally.

Hang on ... am seeing that rubber-banding is now working. (I thought it wasn't before.)

And the copy-paste does work when just clicking to add a waypoint.

Thank you for your help.

<rant>Still, it's a sucky work-around for something that DID exist. And, of course, the useful on-screen nav log is still missing.</rant>

I'm not sure what the issue is with adding a waypoint, I just click on the line and drag it to my waypoint, then a little box pops up with the different waypoint options and I click "plan" for the one I want, just like before. It inserts in order and unlike before the route will now actually read Victor airways between points.

I did really like the old simple flight plan bar because it made it easy to see the distances between points and was great for making rough plans. I like a lot of the added functionality too though, including the new printable nav log, more accurate performance and fuel burn calculations, and the option to save your plans.

I think the best thing they could do is have a button for "classic flight plan" that you can toggle back and forth with. Lots of sites have the option of different views, don't see why this would be difficult for them.

Last edited:
The new flight plan box sucks. No time and distance log, cumbersome route box with a lot less functionality, the printable PDF navlog they offer instead is immaterial since it's not interactive like the old in-page log was. They managed and break something that wasn't.

Bring the old flight plan format back, otherwise skyvector ceases to be a useful FLIGHT PLANNING site.

The new flight plan box sucks. No time and distance log, cumbersome route box with a lot less functionality, the printable PDF navlog they offer instead is immaterial since it's not interactive like the old in-page log was. They managed and break something that wasn't.

Bring the old flight plan format back, otherwise skyvector ceases to be a useful FLIGHT PLANNING site.

Agree. Anyone know of any alternatives?

Not as a flight planning tool, but as an easy way to browse metars and look at radar, I'll still use it... at least until ForeFlight Web comes out. Then I'll probably ditch it and never look at it again.

Will Foreflight Web only work with Safari?

Someone ought to call the people at vfrmap and tell them they're up Johnny, some dumba%% over at skyvector managed to screw the big poocher with a single interface change. Bravo to the dip%hit that manged to single-handedly halve the traffic for his site in 69 seconds. Keep it simple stupid anyone? IT people I tell ya.....

Someone ought to call the people at vfrmap and tell them they're up Johnny, some dumba%% over at skyvector managed to screw the big poocher with a single interface change. Bravo to the dip%hit that manged to single-handedly halve the traffic for his site in 69 seconds. Keep it simple stupid anyone? IT people I tell ya.....

The only thing I really see missing here is multiple airports. It works exactly the same as before except you can't put 4 airports on one plan and see distance. They can fix that pretty easily, I'm sure

The only thing I really see missing here is multiple airports. It works exactly the same as before except you can't put 4 airports on one plan and see distance. They can fix that pretty easily, I'm sure
Click on the "Nav Log" button to see the route with all the distances and multiple air ports in a new tab.

Type in the box to add / subtract airports, waypoints, whatever.

Spoke with Skyvector at Oshkosh. Interesting discussion... I complained about the new flight plan box, and after the guy walked me through it and explained it, it started making more sense. Definitely a big change, but now that I know how to use it more intuitive.

The departure and destination airports are the start and end only. The waypoints are listed in the box below. It is smart enough to discern waypoints versus airports.

Spoke with Skyvector at Oshkosh. Interesting discussion... I complained about the new flight plan box, and after the guy walked me through it and explained it, it started making more sense. Definitely a big change, but now that I know how to use it more intuitive.

The departure and destination airports are the start and end only. The waypoints are listed in the box below. It is smart enough to discern waypoints versus airports.

That's a problem, needing walking-through and explaining - simply to get the same functionality that was there before.

But, beyond just figuring out how to work the new UI, they killed at least one key feature that differentiated SkyVector from the rest of the flight-planning dreck.

A pox upon them!

That's a problem, needing walking-through and explaining - simply to get the same functionality that was there before.

But, beyond just figuring out how to work the new UI, they killed at least one key feature that differentiated SkyVector from the rest of the flight-planning dreck.

A pox upon them!

What's that feature???

My gripe with them was that I like to see distance/time between multiple hops. The old way could do it. The new way still does it, but harder to see. It's on the actual map line rather than in the flight plan.

That would be the feature - a nav log on the same screen. The line thing doesn't cut it - for one thing, it assumes the map is zoomed so the entire route shows.

Well I'll have to go to OSH next year and learn how to use it :) So far I don't like it...

I'm wondering how much code they would have to write to bring back the old user interface as a user-selectable option, so that people could easily switch back and forth between them. The old version wouldn't have to have the new features for filing, etc., but would just be available for the convenience of those who want it for spit-balling or whatever, while the new interface would be available when people want to use the new features, and/or for people who prefer it.

Oh, I'm sure a good PR person could find a way to put a positive spin on it!

What's that feature???

3 features in the old skyvector that are missing from the new skyvector:

1. Reverse course button.
2. Click on a waypoint and pan/zoom to it.
3. Drag and drop to re-order waypoints.

The Skyvector CEO's email is:

dgraves@skyvector.com

Email him with your concerns and how much you dislike the new update. It's the only way it's going to change. He does read and respond to emails, though he doesn't seem to inclined to revert to the old, simpler site.

Back