Can AP mechanics work on single engine aircrafts and Airline planes?

HatTrickHero11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HatTrickHero11
Basically, are they trained to work on every engine? So they can work on a single engine aircraft one day that is a piston, and the next work on a turbofan or turboprop plane?

Also, can they inspect, repair, and pass off their own plane for annuals?

No. Yes. Yes. By day I work on Gulfstream G550s and G450s. Evenings and weekends I do flight instruction and help owners on the field where I can. In A&P school we learned dope and fabric. Now at work I carry a laptop or my iPad out to the plane.

Basically, are they trained to work on every engine? So they can work on a single engine aircraft one day that is a piston, and the next work on a turbofan or turboprop plane?

READ FAR 65.75 thru .95

A&P can not do annuals inspections, and can only do what they have been taught to do.
The A&P must hold an Inspection Authorization (A&P-IA) to sign off Annuals, & Progressives. A&P can sign off 100 hour and Yearly conditional inspections on experimental home built aircraft.

No. Yes. Yes. By day I work on Gulfstream G550s and G450s. Evenings and weekends I do flight instruction and help owners on the field where I can. In A&P school we learned dope and fabric. Now at work I carry a laptop or my iPad out to the plane.

So you are a AP mechanic Monday through Friday, and on the weekends you work as a certified flight instructor?? How is that working out for you? If you don't mind me asking, what is your average yearly or monthly income? I thought about doing this, but wasn't sure if it would work out.

READ FAR 65.75 thru .95

A&P can not do annuals inspections, and can only do what they have been taught to do.
The A&P must hold an Inspection Authorization (A&P-IA) to sign off Annuals, & Progressives. A&P can sign off 100 hour and Yearly conditional inspections on experimental home built aircraft.

Sorry, I am new to the airplane world. Where can I find the official FAA document on this subject?

Sorry, I am new to the airplane world. Where can I find the official FAA document on this subject?
I gave it to you. google "FAR 65.75" that's all about mechanics certification.

Oh sorry. Thanks. So if I get that certificate add on to my AP license, I can sign off the annual or that is still a no? I will read through the stuff right now

Oh sorry. Thanks. So if I get that certificate add on to my AP license, I can sign off the annual or that is still a no? I will read through the stuff right now
The IA add-on is the most difficult test in the FAA's inventory of tests, if you fail it the wait is 90 days, to retake.

Interesting. So its meant so only a few have it so it doesn't get carried away and cause crashes. Nice work FAA. I approve of that.

Ultimately, if you were a certified AP mechanic, and have all the add on certificates, you could fix up your airplane, for basically for free, and pass it off? Essentially for the price of new parts, and your time? Am I missing something? Is this a bad or smart idea?

Interesting. So its meant so only a few have it so it doesn't get carried away and cause crashes. Nice work FAA. I approve of that.

Ultimately, if you were a certified AP mechanic, and have all the add on certificates, you could fix up your airplane, for basically for free, and pass it off? Essentially for the price of new parts, and your time? Am I missing something? Is this a bad or smart idea?

That's pretty much what I do.
http://www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/
and to support this effort I repair others aircraft do annuals, etc.

READ FAR 65.75 thru .95

Tom is right about the annuals. I've been an IA too long. He also eludes to an age-old discussion about what an A&P can and cannot do. Which then leads in to currency questions and arguments and so on. Anyone on the NBAA maintenance forums knows what I'm talking about. Active A&Ps do things every day that they weren't specifically "trained" in.

The IA is a difficult knowledge test, yes. But I would say that it is relatively easy to get, as there is no practical/oral exam involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I see you finally came to the dark side - internet message boards.

(DUN DUN DUNNNNN)

Welcome Scott!

Last edited:
The IA is a difficult knowledge test, yes. But I would say that it is relatively easy to get, as there is no practical/oral exam involved.

after you pass the written, you must go to FSDO to get the certificate, What would you call the interview with the ASI there?
For me and every IA that I talk to it was the most difficult part of the process.

Tom is right about the annuals. I've been an IA too long. He also eludes to an age-old discussion about what an A&P can and cannot do. Which then leads in to currency questions and arguments and so on. Anyone on the NBAA maintenance forums knows what I'm talking about. Active A&Ps do things every day that they weren't specifically "trained" in.

That regulation is a useless and un-enforceable regulation, but it is still on the books.

Nope. I got nothing against annuals. So say after I become an air traffic controller, I will have to retire. After that learn to be a mechanic and work on my own plane.

Doesn't it take like 2 years at most to graduate from a FAA approved school for ap mechanic?

after you pass the written, you must go to FSDO to get the certificate, What would you call the interview with the ASI there?
For me and every IA that I talk to it was the most difficult part of the process.

Man, I have to say, not my experience. For both trips to the FSDO I was in and out in 10 minutes. I've since moved to a different district and the guys I've spoken with have similar stories to mine. I've taken a good portion of the FAA tests, and by far the hardest was the initial CFI-ME. 6hr oral and 2 hr flight. Plus the written.

Concerning this, the 8900.1 5-1285 just instructs the ASI to interview the applicant as necessary to determine that he/she meets FAR 65.91 (C) (1) through (4).

(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must

to continue...

(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;

(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;

(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;

(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and

(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter.

An applicant who fails the test prescribed in paragraph (c)(5) of this section may not apply for retesting until at least 90 days after the date he failed the test.

So you are a AP mechanic Monday through Friday, and on the weekends you work as a certified flight instructor?? How is that working out for you? If you don't mind me asking, what is your average yearly or monthly income? I thought about doing this, but wasn't sure if it would work out.

Yes. I enjoy it. Helps to have a supportive wife. No plans on getting the II anytime soon, 'cause now I at least get time off when the WX doesn't cooperate...

I see you finally came to the dark side - internet message boards.

(DUN DUN DUNNNNN)

Welcome Scott!

Thanks, been lurking in the shadows a bit learning and seeing how it all works. Nice way to stay connected...

Yes.

No on the annuals. You need an AP add on (called Inspection Authorization or IA) for that. A/P's can do 50 or 100 hours or other progressive inspections, though.

And normal A/P's can only do minor repairs or alterations. For a "major" repair or alterations (such like things that change w/b data or flying characteristics like wing clipping), you need an IA

Last edited:
Nope. I got nothing against annuals. So say after I become an air traffic controller, I will have to retire. After that learn to be a mechanic and work on my own plane.

Doesn't it take like 2 years at most to graduate from a FAA approved school for ap mechanic?

18 months for my school. $37,000

Well that's good news. Is a mechanics pay with an IA good?

YES. Some IA's even do Oral and Practical exams on the side for extra dough. Can't remember how much my DME charged but it was quite a bit

Community College is much less expensive and just as good.

Tarrant county community college has a two year day program or three year night program that let's you an associates degree and an a&p. Whole program with tools is probably less than $7000

Yes.

No on the annuals. You need an AP add on (called Inspection Authorization or IA) for that. A/P's can do 50 or 100 hours or other progressive inspections, though.

And normal A/P's can only do minor repairs or alterations. For a "major" repair or alterations (such like things that change w/b data or flying characteristics like wing clipping), you need an IA

Quick note A&Ps cannot sign off a progressive, need an IA or repair station for that.

To the OP, my average annual cost less than $500

Not every engine, but every variety is covered pretty well. A&Ps will find themselves working on whatever comes in the shop which can range from a Flybaby to a BBJ on the same day in some shops.

An A&P needs to work as an A&P for 2 years and get further credentials from the FAA in the form of an 'IA', Inspection Authorization to do the Annual inspection, but outside of that there is nothing to stop them from providing any of those services on their own plane.

Tom, Wing & Rotor mentioned it should not be FAR XX.YYY but rather XX CFR YY.zz :):):):):)

Try Googling "14 CFR 65.75" :) Lots of hits this way.

18 months for my school. $37,000

I payed between 5&6K total for my P at the local vocational school.

The good taxpayers of my school district saw fit to pay for my A:goofy:

IA exam cost $90, about half an hour off work (we are a testing station) and a few evenings of studdy. My PMI even came to me to sign my 8610-1 and then again to issue the paper after I passed the test.

For those of you who are AP mechanics, what is your average salary with no inspection certificate. What is your salary with an inspection? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do!

I make mid/upper 30s when you factor in fringe benefits, IA made no difference as the head mechanic at a repair station it provided no benifit to my employer.

Tarrant county community college has a two year day program or three year night program that let's you an associates degree and an a&p. Whole program with tools is probably less than $7000

My local vocational school has no aviation programs, and at the time, I lived in walking distance of the A/P school.

30k!? Dang! You can't make a living off of that. It would be tight

I also don't live in Calfornia

At that salary I have a house, three dogs, an airplane and a toy car.

Now Angie works too, but as an armed guard/unpaid cop she makes less than I do.

30k!? Dang! You can't make a living off of that. It would be tight

Thats about the average wage for a A&P mechanic. Ive never made anymore than that during the years i was able to stay employed at one location, though I dont think that salary would support a C182 very well. My bank would not lend me the money to buy a plane with that salary until I started my own business.

I payed between 5&6K total for my P at the local vocational school.

The good taxpayers of my school district saw fit to pay for my A:goofy:

IA exam cost $90, about half an hour off work (we are a testing station) and a few evenings of studdy. My PMI even came to me to sign my 8610-1 and then again to issue the paper after I passed the test.

Payed :dunno:... Paid.:yesnod:

Studdy :dunno:... Study :yesnod:

That must be quite a top notch school you attended.:no::no::wink2:

I am guessing it is / was in California. :goofy::goofy:

Back