Can AP mechanics work on single engine aircrafts and Airline planes?

Payed :dunno:... Paid.:yesnod:

Studdy :dunno:... Study :yesnod:

That must be quite a top notch school you attended.:no::no::wink2:

I am guessing it is / was in California. :goofy::goofy:

You only have to use the wrench, your not required to spell it.

Tom, Wing & Rotor mentioned it should not be FAR XX.YYY but rather XX CFR YY.zz :):):):):)

Try Googling "14 CFR 65.75" :) Lots of hits this way.

You only need 1...... FAA.Org

Not every engine, but every variety is covered pretty well. A&Ps will find themselves working on whatever comes in the shop which can range from a Flybaby to a BBJ on the same day in some shops.

An A&P needs to work as an A&P for 3 years and get further credentials from the FAA in the form of an 'IA', Inspection Authorization to do the Annual inspection, but outside of that there is nothing to stop them from providing any of those services on their own plane.

FTFY.

Thats about the average wage for a A&P mechanic. Ive never made anymore than that during the years i was able to stay employed at one location, though I dont think that salary would support a C182 very well. My bank would not lend me the money to buy a plane with that salary until I started my own business.

Plane is paid for, blew a chunk of the college fund on it after I only used a small chunk for school.

Tarrant county community college has a two year day program or three year night program that let's you an associates degree and an a&p. Whole program with tools is probably less than $7000

7k is the absolute most. I'm enrolled there now.

Sent from my mobile phone.

I went to Spartan, way back in the stone ages. If I could make any suggestion, I recommend specializing in one type of aircraft once you have your feet wet. Either by design or dumb luck it worked out well for me.

Can be, but only if there are planes that you specalize in to work on. It's a fine line, need enough of a fleet to keep you busy but a small enough nitch that every mechanic isn't already filling it.

I'm starting to become a Navajo guy, and it's keeping me busy. When they are around I can get as much OT as I want and that helps keep a little spending money in my pocket.

Been at least 9 years because it's been that way for the extent of my involvement in aviation.

Poop happens.;)
It might be that he was confusing the requirement to have an initial 3 years of experience with the other requirement - to have been "actively engaged" for the 2 years immediately prior to making the application.

Ref. 14 CFR 65.91(c)(1) versus 65.91(c)(2)

It might be that he was confusing the requirement to have an initial 3 years of experience with the other requirement - to have been "actively engaged" for the 2 years immediately prior to making the application.

Bet your right

Define.... "Actively engaged" ..

Define.... "Actively engaged" ..

This came up recently where I work. Our FSDO (Orlando) defines it as having a day job as a mechanic. I.e. a full time job performing the duties of an A&P mechanic.

Is the pay better if you specialize?

My ex BIL did better than that working on MD-11 heavy checks, I'd say he was making $60k+, but he worked craploads of hours on rotations to do it.

As with the pilots, the premium jobs are likely with FedEx and UPS and you may have to move to one of their bases. Also look at Evergreen. You can also work as an Expat at overseas shops and make good money with great tax benefits.

Last edited:
This came up recently where I work. Our FSDO (Orlando) defines it as having a day job as a mechanic. I.e. a full time job performing the duties of an A&P mechanic.

As usual they are not following OKC guidance.

in short...... you are actively engaged if you are exercising the privileges as an A&P. It doesn't say you must be employed.

They have also issued guidence to the FSDOs to narow the deffinition of "active"

in short...... you are actively engaged if you are exercising the privileges as an A&P. It doesn't say you must be employed.

And what guidance from OKC would that be? Can you post a link to that?

Thanks.

FAA Safety Team FAAST Blast newsletter August 8-14, 2011

HTML:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-08-04/pdf/2011-19741.pdf

Quote:

"FAA Clarifies “Actively Engaged” for IAs
In a notice of policy dated Aug. 04, 2011, the FAA has clarified the term “actively engaged” with regards to those applying for and renewing an inspection authorization (IA). Current regulations state (among other requirements) that an IA must be actively engaged in maintaining aircraft for a two-year period before obtaining or renewing an IA. The new policy notice addresses the confusion caused by the term “actively engaged” and has broadened its application to cover IAs providing maintenance in rural areas, and those offering specialized expertise with rare or vintage aircraft. The definition also recognizes part-time employment and occasional activity, which does not require employment and may occur on an infrequent basis, valuing the substantive nature of experience rather than a strict quantity formula. "

Last edited:
FAA Safety Team FAAST Blast newsletter August 8-14, 2011

HTML:
Quote:

"FAA Clarifies “Actively Engaged” for IAs
In a notice of policy dated Aug. 04, 2011, the FAA has clarified the term “actively engaged” with regards to those applying for and renewing an inspection authorization (IA). Current regulations state (among other requirements) that an IA must be actively engaged in maintaining aircraft for a two-year period before obtaining or renewing an IA. The new policy notice addresses the confusion caused by the term “actively engaged” and has broadened its application to cover IAs providing maintenance in rural areas, and those offering specialized expertise with rare or vintage aircraft. The definition also recognizes part-time employment and occasional activity, which does not require employment and may occur on an infrequent basis, valuing the substantive nature of experience rather than a strict quantity formula. "

Now I'm confused.

Why? That's just exactly what we talked about earlier.

14 CFR 65.91(c)(1) says that a brand new A&P must have at least 3 years total experience before he can apply for an IA, and

14 CFR 65.91(c)(2) says that any A&P must have been "actively engaged" for the two years immediately prior to his application for it to be valid - in other words, he must be "current."

In general, pilot currency is on 90-day cycles but for A&P mechanics, it's a matter of having done the work for at least 6 months out of each 24 - ref. 14 CFR 65.83(b)

And what guidance from OKC would that be? Can you post a link to that?

Thanks.

If you were real you'd know this.

To quote
The FAA reaffirmed longstanding policy that an applicant who is employed full-time in inspecting, overhauling, repairing, preserving, or replacing parts on aircraft consistently are considered actively engaged. For an applicant participating in (regardless of employment status) maintenance activities part time or occasionally,"

And

IA applicants must hold a current mechanic’s certificate with both airframe and powerplant ratings that has been in effect for at least 3 years and must have been actively engaged in maintaining aircraft for 2 years prior to the application.
Very basic english most ASI's can understand, and there is no requirement that any A&P-IA hold a job to renew.

Last edited:

If you were real you'd know this.

To quote
The FAA reaffirmed longstanding policy that an applicant who is employed full-time in inspecting, overhauling, repairing, preserving, or replacing parts on aircraft consistently are considered actively engaged. For an applicant participating in (regardless of employment status) maintenance activities part time or occasionally,"

And

IA applicants must hold a current mechanic’s certificate with both airframe and powerplant ratings that has been in effect for at least 3 years and must have been actively engaged in maintaining aircraft for 2 years prior to the application.
Very basic english most ASI's can understand, and there is no requirement that any A&P-IA hold a job to renew.

OK. But that is from the Federal Register and reads:

Issued in Washington, DC, on July 28,
John S. Duncan,
Acting Director, Flight Standards Service.
[FR Doc. 2011–19741 Filed 8–3–11; 8:45 am]

You alluded in this post:

I was curious as to what guidance "OKC" had put out, and who in "OKC" would have put out such guidance. :dunno:

Back