Can anyone identify this plane?

I like to consider myself pretty versed in unusual aircraft. I have literally never seen or heard of that one. Very interested to find out the answer.

Wow, what a contraption!!
Yes, that's where it was taken, some years ago - we were taxiing past a group of derelict airframes and that one caught my eye. It wasn't at the museum, though, I recall it being on the other side of the field.

Definitely belongs in a museum,rather than dying on the ramp.

Did I read correctly that it was a prototype and only 2 were built? If one is in a museum, this is the second one.

Smithsonian has one too. I remember seeing it years ago crammed into one of the buildings at the Garber (aka Silver Hill) facility.

OK, idd some research. There were three models of CCWs built. The CCW is at Air and Space, indeed this is the one I saw. The CCW-2, had one built (location unknown). The CCW-5 is N5855V is what this one appears to be (Reading Air Museum).

Wow, the CCW-5 has impressive performance specs.
Landing speed : 15 mph (24 km/h)
Landing and take-off distances: 100 ft (30 m)
Cruise speed: 180 mph (290 km/h, 160 kn)

If you scroll down on the Wiki page to "See Also" and go to the Antonov 181 page, where is the engine?

That is a very interesting design but I can only guess what happens on take off at 15-20mph and you lose one engine and your "locally enhanced" lift goes away on one side with the loss of thrust.

Back