Can an accident still happen on a first solo?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I'm just curious, could a student pilot still have an accident on his/her first solo? And if they occur, how often do first solo accidents occur?

of course an accident can happen on a first solo - it can happen anytime. I have no idea what the stats are. But, here's an example of one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raTmX6USTo

This guy took a little time after the accident but eventually got his PPL.

Sure, accidents happen on first solo, not frequently, but it happens.

Last edited:
Complacency, not lack of skill, is the source of a high percentage of aviation accidents. Generally complacency is not a problem on a first solo.

I'm just curious, could a student pilot still have an accident on his/her first solo? And if they occur, how often do first solo accidents occur?

Nope. Just like you can't get pregnant your first time.

Why would you think an accident is ever impossible? The only time that occurs is when no one is in the aircraft intending to fly it (per the NTSB definition).

Using:
Search performed with the following criteria:
Keyword=Certificate Level - Student; Flight type=INSTRUCTIONAL; Build type=Factory Built; Date=Last 10 years;
in the AOPA ASI accident database comes up with 634 hits. In looking at the first ten or so at least two were specifically stated to be first solo.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/narrative.cfm?ackey=1&evid=20130726X05005
http://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/narrative.cfm?ackey=1&evid=20130520X72853

Though some of the others cited seem to possibly be first solo as well but not specifically stated.

Not first solo, but a student at my school forgot to switch tanks on his first solo cross country. Put it in a field. CFI and the mechanic came to the field, switched tanks, took off with no problems.

This sounds like a parent asking a question based on concern for their child.

Because of that, I will say that your child is 100% right - accidents cannot happen during the first solo.

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should have worded my question differently. I know that first solo accidents can happen. What I was really wanting to ask was how often do first solo accidents occur, and what could be the causes of first solo accidents, like if the CFI says the student pilot was ready, but freezes up on the first solo for example.

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should have worded my question differently. I know that first solo accidents can happen. What I was really wanting to ask was how often do first solo accidents occur, and what could be the causes of first solo accidents, like if the CFI says the student pilot was ready, but freezes up on the first solo for example.

Probably the greatest cause will be excess speed on final from using already high numbers that some CFIs use for landing/final and then subtracting the instructors weight from the flight which in most trainers is a considerable portion of useful load leaving the state of energy far to high for landing leading to porpoising and bouncing on landings which without either a go around, or deft handling (which the first solo student isn't typically capable of) will end up with a collapsed nose gear and prop strike along with probable firewall damage.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, we were at a shop where the University aircraft were maintained. A pretty little Cessna 152 was there with a curled prop, mashed up landing gear, and a banged up wing and fuselage. What happened, we asked. Seems that the student pilot was on a first solo. Prior to this flight, the student had been practicing touch and goes with the instructor - as was the practice at this field. However, for the first solo, the instructor wanted the student to land, taxi back, and takeoff. First time around and first landing, the student landed, pushed in the throttle for a touch and go and was into ground effect when the instructor screamed into the hand held that the student should land, not touch and go. Student pulled back on the power, nosed down, bounded onto what was left of the runway, lost control, careened down an embankment and stopped in a ditch. She soloed again and soon had her license. Don't know what happened to the instructor or the sweet little C-152.

Happens. But not very often.

The Cessna 150 I few a while ago had been damaged when a student pilot on his/her/its' first solo "panicked" and landed in a plowed field instead of on the runway.

I guess for me when I did flight training over the summer, probably one of the issues I had with landings and takeoffs is maintaining directional control of the airplane on the runway. It is even more difficult with a touch and go, because for several reasons. First, there is an adrenaline rush that occurs when I am being told by my CFI to takeoff on the runway during a touch and go. Also there may be some torque involved, so I must process it as well.

If your thinking of an accident happening as opposed to the thrill of flying solo,you probably aren't ready yourself,you should discuss this with the instructor.

Happened at ASH, fall 1974. First solo, came in low on approach to Rwy32. Clipped the top of a light pole lined up up on centerline. Took about 3ft off the top of the pole, missed it with the prop, but pushed the nose wheel to one side. Opened the bottom of the C-150 below the pilot seat.

Powered up and made it to the runway, nose comes down skewed and off into the grass he goes. Took another 4 months before he solo'd again, don't think he ever completed his check ride.

Once upon a time, we were at a shop where the University aircraft were maintained. A pretty little Cessna 152 was there with a curled prop, mashed up landing gear, and a banged up wing and fuselage. What happened, we asked. Seems that the student pilot was on a first solo. Prior to this flight, the student had been practicing touch and goes with the instructor - as was the practice at this field. However, for the first solo, the instructor wanted the student to land, taxi back, and takeoff. First time around and first landing, the student landed, pushed in the throttle for a touch and go and was into ground effect when the instructor screamed into the hand held that the student should land, not touch and go. Student pulled back on the power, nosed down, bounded onto what was left of the runway, lost control, careened down an embankment and stopped in a ditch. She soloed again and soon had her license. Don't know what happened to the instructor or the sweet little C-152.

Never disrupt a student or pilot like that. Wait for the climb to be well established and then call them. Unless it is criticle, "go around, your gear is not down".

Probably the greatest cause will be excess speed on final from using already high numbers that some CFIs use for landing/final and then subtracting the instructors weight from the flight which in most trainers is a considerable portion of useful load leaving the state of energy far to high for landing leading to porpoising and bouncing on landings which without either a go around, or deft handling (which the first solo student isn't typically capable of) will end up with a collapsed nose gear and prop strike along with probable firewall damage.

Landed a little hot, don't you think? Plane wasn't ready to land, so he tried to force it down. A go-around might have been a better choice.

Landed a little hot, don't you think? Plane wasn't ready to land, so he tried to force it down. A go-around might have been a better choice.
This has been kicking around for a while... textbook stuff.
And I just noticed for the first time how the landing is not only too hot, but the pilot comes in at such a shallow angle he apparently "hedgehops" it over slightly higher terrain then pushes the nose down to apparently try to stick it onto the end of the runway. I'll bet it was all wrong from abeam the numbers on downwind, if not earlier. :rolleyes2:

If your thinking of an accident happening as opposed to the thrill of flying solo,you probably aren't ready yourself,you should discuss this with the instructor.

I wouldn't go so far as to say not ready for flying solo. :nono: A little bit of uneasiness should be completely normal

They're very rare. Instructors choose very carefully the conditions that are ripe for a first solo and only after you've demonstrated a fairly consistent ability to land safely (not necessarily perfectly, but safely.)

The biggest adjustment you'll have on first solo is adapting to a plane that performs a heckuva lot better without the lard-butt sitting next to you! It will climb like a homesick angel and will NOT come down as quickly as you're used to. The latter is the bigger of the two problems. But just adjust your power for the change in weight and you'll be fine.

Finally, and most importantly, if ANYTHING doesn't feel right at any time, GO AROUND NOW! Don't second guess that decision, just DO it. There's no shame whatsoever in a go-around....EVER. Take some time and set up again until it DOES feel right before committing to the landing.

It happened at BVS on thursday. student pilot ran a PA-28-180 off the runway.

I can speak only from my own experience, of course, but none of my students had accidents on their first solo flights, and no students from the other four branches of the flight school had first-solo accidents either. IMHO they are extremely rare.

Bob Gardner

I can speak only from my own experience, of course, but none of my students had accidents on their first solo flights, and no students from the other four branches of the flight school had first-solo accidents either. IMHO they are extremely rare.

Bob Gardner
Depends on what you define as rare. In the AOPA's data base since May of 2013 there were at least 2.

Bob Gardner
As the FAA has proven the accidents on first solo reflects upon the CFIs

your "no accidents" safety record is a fact to be proud of.

You do everything you can to prepare students for everything that could go wrong during their first solo. After that you hope like hell nothing goes wrong.

It would have gone OK if he wasn't flying an airplane with a nosewheel.

Even if a situation where a potential accident or incident may occur, the student pilot should be able to recover. In order to solo, the student pilot is required to be able to complete the following safely and proficiently under 61.87(c) and (d):
  1. Proper flight preparation procedures, including preflight planning and preparation, powerplant operation, and aircraft systems;
  2. Taxiing or surface operations, including runups;
  3. Takeoffs and landings, including normal and crosswind;
  4. Straight and level flight, and turns in both directions;
  5. Climbs and climbing turns;
  6. Airport traffic patterns, including entry and departure procedures;
  7. Collision avoidance, windshear avoidance, and wake turbulence avoidance;
  8. Descents, with and without turns, using high and low drag configurations;
  9. Flight at various airspeeds from cruise to slow flight;
  10. Stall entries from various flight attitudes and power combinations with recovery initiated at the first indication of a stall, and recovery from a full stall;
  11. Emergency procedures and equipment malfunctions;
  12. Ground reference maneuvers;
  13. Approaches to a landing area with simulated engine malfunctions;
  14. Slips to a landing; and
    [*] Go-arounds.

I'm sure any CFI would want their student to be proficient at them too. After all, it's their certificate on the line.

of course an accident can happen on a first solo - it can happen anytime. I have no idea what the stats are. But, here's an example of one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raTmX6USTo

This guy took a little time after the accident but eventually got his PPL.

Gotta love that homemade stop sign, spray painted on the road!:rolleyes2:
Couldn't afford to put up a real one huh:dunno:

You do everything you can to prepare students for everything that could go wrong during their first solo. After that you hope like hell nothing goes wrong.

Actually, rather than relying on hell, I whisper a prayer for them! ;) Haven't lost one in 35 years, thankfully.

Gotta love that homemade stop sign, spray painted on the road!:rolleyes2:
Couldn't afford to put up a real one huh:dunno:

That is where I fly out of. The owner of the airport doesn't own the road at the end of the runway.

I believe there has been some back and forth between them trying to come to a solution. I think they are hesitant to put a sign on a pole that close to the end of the runway so it doesn't get clipped.

As of last week, I have noticed there is a banner along the fence stating something like "ALL VEHICLES REQUIRED TO STOP AND CHECK FOR LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT"

I see cars all the time when I am on final usually they are good at waiting. When I come in from the north, I am always 100% ready to go around.

Couple weeks back the fence had a bunch of teenagers standing on it filming planes land. I am on final thinking they have no idea how dumb that could turn out to be.

Back