Can a 430W do this?

Betmerick

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Betmerick
I was shown once a long time ago but for the life of my I can't remember how to do this!

I want to make an extended runway line on the 430 from an airport where there are no published approaches. Can someone walk me through the procedure? What I can remember is using the heading bug on my Aspen and VLOC on the 430?

Thanks!!

Direct to
CRS select the runway heading
enter
enter

This is also a nice trick to "extend" a VTF leg beyond the IAF on an instrument approach without losing all the intermediate fixes which is what will happen in VTF mode.

Keep in mind that none of the suggestions made so far will extend the runway centerline...they’ll draw a line parallel to the runway centerline (unless the runway happens to go through the Airport Reference Point).

In addition to what other people said, most airports have some sort of GPS approach that you can use for situational awareness. If you ever forget the OBS trick, just load any approach to the runway.

In addition to what other people said, most airports have some sort of GPS approach that you can use for situational awareness. If you ever forget the OBS trick, just load any approach to the runway.
Great idea...except the OP specified that there were no published approaches. ;)

Back