Camping Supplies

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
I am wondering what people's recommendations are as to tents, sleeping bags, mats, etc. for camping with the plane on or near the airport. We rent, so something that is easily transportable is important. There are generally only the two of us, and we're not really into "roughing" it. In fact, I haven't camped out since I was about 10! I figure this can also form part of a survival pack for extended cross-country trips.

Grant I do quite a bit of camping. Your purchases for camping supplies can run the gamut from K-Mart el cheapo to top of the line muhco expensive stuff from REI. REI makes me drool like a well stocked pilot shop.

For camping by your plane you can go two ways:

1) If you want light weight and truly want to camp UNDER the wing you will need a light weight back packing tent which you can get from REI or a local Army Navy Store.

2)If you don't want to get fancy and IMHO you don't have too. Buy a 2-4 person tent from K-mart or Sears. The tents are well made and hold up to a lot. ( make sure the tent has a rain fly) They will be heavier than the back packing tents and you wouldn't want to hike with them but they should be just fine for the plane. Sears has the Hillary brand of tents. What your looking for should not cost you more than $100.00 Assuming your not going full blown back woods you can also get a sleeping bag from Sears or K-mart I also recommend an egg crate sleeping pad they are very light ( The older I get the harder the ground gets) I also recommend a small tarp or thick plastic sheet that is just about the size of the foot print of the tent. Put the sheet or tarp down under the tent. It will keep you dry and keep dirt and crud off the bottom of the tent.

Like in aviation you could go broke buying everything under the sun for camping. What I have given you is the very basics. If you want more feel free to pm me with your telephone or email address.

Campmoor is also a great source for inexpensive camping supplies it along with REI have pretty good web sites.

We aren't rich, so a good bit of our stuff comes from Wal-Mart and/or Sam's club. It's not as good as the fancy stuff from places like REI or Cabella's, but for the light duty we need it's sufficient. Still, if I had the $$$ I'd spend more for the good stuff.

I buy most of my stuff at REI. I have been a member since decades ago and have a member number that gets oohhsss and ahhs when I use it at the local store. But the thing I like best is that their stuff is of good quality and tested by themselves to ensure it is worthy.

You can never have too many tarps, too much rope or too much tin foil. {edit} You can also never have too much duct tape! {end edit}

In addition to the tarp under the tent bring one for over the tent - suspended by ropes tied to trees works well. Also a tarp to cover the eating area.

A small saw is handy for making fire wood. I find bow saws hard to pack, I found a nice 12 inch hand saw at a hardware store that packs easy and works well enough.

I don't like taking liquid lighter fluid on planes or in cars, take plenty of solid fire starters instead.

Len

Last edited:
Leah buys all her stuff at REI, of course "camping" to her is over a month on a river in northern canada. You probably dont need that robust of equipment.

Len Lanetti said:
I don't like taking liquid lighter fluid on planes or in cars, take plenty of solid fire starters instead.

Len

But if this is for plane camping you might want to just sump a little 100ll, but do stand back!

Tent: Taped seams. Sealed flooring. Rainfly that goes to the ground. The first time you get in a supersoaker rainstorm without that it's too late. (My tent will probably float with nothing inside and has kept me dry in 5" of standing water on more than one occasion - but it's not a low end walmart special tent either). If you're going to have anything other than bodies and sleeping bags in the tent, a two person tent is a one person tent plus equipment. 3person = 2person + equipment. You get the idea.
Sleeping bags: Depends on what you want to do. Summer happy weekends just about anything will work. I always go a temp range or two colder than what I anticipate camping in because being cold is no fun at 2am for the 15th day in a row.

You don't have to spend a fortune but you can if you're not careful. Do spend enough that you don't end up with something that's junk. And don't go gung ho crazy at REI. You really don't need a lot so pick and choose stuff as you need it instead of buying 900lbs and $18K of trinket stuff.
Two sleeping bags and a tent. I haven't looked at prices in a long time but $200 should be in the ballpark. When possible, wait a week for 20% off sales.

Test everything on a pretend outing in the backyard for a weekend before you go. 100LL does not make the best camp stove fuel even if the stove can burn it. Useable yes, but try before you go. (Diesel or JetA or autogas, I'll dig out the flint and steel first, there's no way I'm burning that stuff in my stove again)

Oh yea, think before you buy. Look at what the stuff actually is. $45 ground sheets for you tent is essentially the same 2.5mil clear sheeting that you can get in your local paint dept for $5 and have a mile of the stuff left over when you're done.

Before the net, we use to buy our stuff at Campmor or local backpacking/outfitters and REI. Now I shop the net and buy some stuff at REI, but REI tends to be expensive.

REI does have a discontinued stock site/section. I picked up my camel back from there for super cheap.

I used to carry a 3-man El Cheapo tent, a heavy sleeping bag, candle lantern and matches, and a few other odds and ends around in my Maule all the time...minimizes the get-there-itis if I can just pitch a tent and wait it out ;)

Couple of years ago, I went on a bicycle trip and bought some nice, lightweight stuff from REI, which is now kept in the airplane. Tent, sleeping bag, and a few other odds and ends pack up smaller than the old sleeping bag.

Both systems work equally well for the airplane camping needs.

Fly safe!

David

smigaldi said:
I buy most of my stuff at REI. I have been a member since decades ago and have a member number that gets oohhsss and ahhs when I use it at the local store. But the thing I like best is that their stuff is of good quality and tested by themselves to ensure it is worthy.

Back when I was a Boy Scout leader REI used to $100 bill me to death. Sometimes I think flying is cheaper. :D But they have good stuff. I still have a lot of that equipment in my backpack, even though I haven't used it in over a decade. Oh, and get a good pad to put under your sleeping bag. As someone else noted, as I get older the ground gets harder. Also, it's nice having the insulation between you and the ground. That part of the sleeping bag will be compressed by your weight and won't contribute much.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Good prices, fast shipping, and a "buyers club" that can save you even more. I've been very happy with them for going on 3 years now.

gprellwitz said:
I am wondering what people's recommendations are as to tents, sleeping bags, mats, etc. for camping with the plane on or near the airport. We rent, so something that is easily transportable is important. There are generally only the two of us, and we're not really into "roughing" it. In fact, I haven't camped out since I was about 10! I figure this can also form part of a survival pack for extended cross-country trips.

Right now, we're using an Ozark Trails 'cheapo' 3-4 person tent. We will be upgrading soon to a better design, though. The tent we have now has so much of the top screened that I won't use it in 'public' without the rain-fly on. Unfortunately, the rain fly is so tight that no air can get in. I like the tents that have screened 'windows' that you can unzip partially for air circulation and still provide some sort of privacy. I place another vote in favor of a tarp/sheet plastic to go under the tent. Keeps thing from getting moist if sleeping on grass and makes tent tear-down much less of a hassle.

We carry one sleeping bag (X-long: I'm 6'7" tall) and a sheet and blanket. Instead of the egg-shell bedding, we use the 'self-inflating' bed mats. They roll up pretty small, and provide about 1-2" of padding. We put the bed mats down, split the sleeping bag on top of that, and use the blanket/sheets as necessary. Two sleeping bags just take up too much room for us. We haven't camped in cold weather yet, though. The bed mats are REALLY light and don't take up a ton of space.

We have a Coleman two-burner cook stove that runs on small propane bottles, but we haven't used it yet. Not sure if propane would travel well if you're planning on climbing very high enroute.

First aid kit!

Instead of the gas lantern, we have a Coleman battery operated flourescent lamp that works well enough for us. One set of batteries will definitely last us through a long weekend and we don't have to mess with white gas or propane.

Plastic garbage bags, plastic garbage bags, plastic garbage bags. They can be ponchos, seats for wet ground, dirty clothes hamper, or....... oh yeah hold garbage. :)

String and rope. Who knows when you'll need 'em. But if you have some, you'll be sure to NOT need it.

That's really all the of the 'main' stuff I can think of. The rest of the stuff you'll have to experience and add to a long-running "Next time we will..." list.

Oh yeah... Check out http://www.adventurepilot.com for some decent write-ups about camping destinations.

Good luck and have fun!!

-Chris

Attachments

• PetitJean 003.jpg
    PetitJean 003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Another option is to save the $60 you will waste on a cheap tent and look on ebay for a high country, mountain hardware, scarface etc and spend around 100-150 on a tent that will last you a lifetime, be lighter to put in the airplane, won't let you down when you need it the most, and you will be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it if you find it is not being used.

Sleeping bags will be fine from walmart unless you are sleeping out when it is really cold.

What Frank said. We get the majority of our stuff at REI. Currently in the market for a 2 person/three season tent. Has to be sub 4lbs (when you're packing the plane for a two week trip, you need to keep the weight under control) and self supporting, as one never knows when you have to sleep on the tarmac under the wing and you can't pound tent stakes and its raining.............

Sleeping bags are are rated down to ~20F. May not even need it, but nice to know that you'll stay warm in an emergency.

We both have Therma-a-rest inflatable pads as well.

Don't carry much food that needs to be cooked, but if you need to carry stove equipment, look for one that you can use an MSR fuel bottle. We have a few of them that we carry 'spare' fuel for the motorcycles in. They also double as fuel bottles for the engine pre-heater. Leathermans are standard equipment, along with at least two Petzl Zipka Plus lights, couple of MSR PackTowels, and Granite Gear compression sacks to pack all the stuff in.

The camping gear at the discount stores is surprisingly good. We had a friend that bought a tent at Gander Mountain, it was about a $100 three room deal, and I was surprised at the quality of the stuff. This is from a guy that owns a $400 backpacking tent that was wind tunnel tested to 90MPH winds....

Camping gear on ebay might be a great deal, buy some good quality names. I prefer REI and EMS stuff myself becasue it comes out of the big name factories at a discount price. Take some time when buying things and ask the salesman about the features that would be useful to you. (Remember a 2 person tent sleeps 1 plus gear....)

A good quality light weight tent is what you are after. Sierra Designs makes some great stuff, at a great price!

--Matt

DeeG said:
Currently in the market for a 2 person/three season tent. Has to be sub 4lbs

4lbs for 2 person is getting into the minimum possible weight for that size of tent. 5-7lbs is more common. Sub 4lbs is usually one person sleeping bag + gear contraptions. Check LLBean. IIRC they have at least one that's just over 4lbs but it's not exactly going to be in the sears price range.
Personally I take the weight hit for tents and keep the weight of other equipment down or left behind as compensation even on long duration solo backpacking trips. Having your home shred itself at 7pm during a torrential 10 miles in the backcountry with no other good options around just isn't any fun. If it can't stand up to a Level 5 TRW with minimal wear and tear, it's not in my backpacking supply closet. I may be a snob but I'm a dry snob.

Free standing isn't even a discussion item. That takes a lot of guesswork and hassle out of the equation.

Last edited:
DeeG said:
We both have Therma-a-rest inflatable pads as well.

Don't carry much food that needs to be cooked, but if you need to carry stove equipment, look for one that you can use an MSR fuel bottle. We have a few of them that we carry 'spare' fuel for the motorcycles in. They also double as fuel bottles for the engine pre-heater. Leathermans are standard equipment, along with at least two Petzl Zipka Plus lights, couple of MSR PackTowels, and Granite Gear compression sacks to pack all the stuff in.

Don't camp without the Therm-a-rest pad. Do it once and you'll understand.

MSR Whisperlite is a great camp stove. Just remember to clean it after each use for reliable operation. The adults in our Scout troop used their own and maintained them. They worked. The Scouts were a little sloppy in that regard and theirs didn't always work. Those fuel bottles seal up nicely when you remove the pump and screw the stopper back in place.

DeeG said:
Currently in the market for a 2 person/three season tent. Has to be sub 4lbs (when you're packing the plane for a two week trip, you need to keep the weight under control) and self supporting, as one never knows when you have to sleep on the tarmac under the wing and you can't pound tent stakes and its raining.............

The self-supporting is something I hadn't even thought about before.

Heck, with 3 wimmen I went the 12-man, 90lb cabin tent with steel tubing. I can play arena football on one side and hold an indoor track meet on the other. It can produce its own indoor weather, too.
It goes well with the green plane.:goofy:

DeeG said:
Currently in the market for a 2 person/three season tent. Has to be sub 4lbs (when you're packing the plane for a two week trip, you need to keep the weight under control)

tonycondon said:
Leah buys all her stuff at REI, of course "camping" to her is over a month on a river in northern canada. You probably dont need that robust of equipment.

My kind of woman! I was never happier than when I spent 6 weeks straight camping in the Alaska wilderness. I would rather sleep in a tent in the wilderness than in a bed, although since I reached advanced middle age, I confess I've come to appreciate a good stout airmattress:redface:, although the extra-thick Thermarest works pretty well, too.

Judy

Last edited:
gprellwitz said:
You had those at Gaston's, didn't you? They were comfortable!
Yeah. They didn't fit on the hat shelf like I thought, but it no was no problem throwing them over the back seat to ride on top of the cargo bay. Now I know why there are tie down hooks on the roof back there. It was almost harder to stow the collapsible chair-in-a-bag ones.

fgcason said:
4lbs for 2 person is getting into the minimum possible weight for that size of tent. 5-7lbs is more common. Sub 4lbs is usually one person sleeping bag + gear contraptions. Check LLBean. IIRC they have at least one that's just over 4lbs but it's not exactly going to be in the sears price range.
Personally I take the weight hit for tents and keep the weight of other equipment down or left behind as compensation even on long duration solo backpacking trips. Having your home shred itself at 7pm during a torrential 10 miles in the backcountry with no other good options around just isn't any fun. If it can't stand up to a Level 5 TRW with minimal wear and tear, it's not in my backpacking supply closet. I may be a snob but I'm a dry snob.

We seen a couple of sub 4lbers at REI. can't recall which brand it was, but price was around 350.00. It was a single wall, with one large 'door' on the side. No rain fly, so no vestuble. Pete gets pretty anal about the weight, but I'm kinda leaning towards a three person that weighs around 6-7.
We travel light, no cooking utensils, minimal clothing (gotta love Ex Officio stuff,wash at night, dry in the morning), no lanterns, no chairs, etc. Better be able to carry everything you pack.

If we had a BIG plane or camped by car or didn't travel by bike or motorcycle, that would be a different story.........

Pete got a package from UPS today. Box was pretty light. I open it up and inside was a two person tent that weighs about 30 ozs, and a sleeping bag that weighs about a pound and is good down to -9C.

Bag is the Epic 150 from MacPac
www.macpac.co.nz

Tent is a Puppy Pile Too by Mandatory Gear and is made in USA
www.mandatorygear.com

Going to set up the tent in the living room when we get home. Does not come with footprint, but we'll pick up some tyvek from the lumber store

Last edited:
DeeG said:
Does not come with footprint, but we'll pick up some tyvek from the lumber store

Paint section: 3.5 mil plastic sheeting. $3-$4 = 10ft x 25ft. Cut to fit. Works great.

We use REI, Campmor, and other places that we can find a reasonable price for the product we want (notice I did not say cheap).

Our tent is a 2-3 man, 6lb tent (good quality) and such. Lightweight camping gear is perfect for airplane camping.

gprellwitz said:
I am wondering what people's recommendations are as to tents, sleeping bags, mats, etc. for camping with the plane on or near the airport.
Grant, I just spent a week living out of a tent under my wing at OSH. It was nice being able to take more "stuff" this year with the Skyhawk compared to what we can usually bring in the Citabria. I'll be glad to email you some suggestions and photos if you want.

Diana said:
Grant, I just spent a week living out of a tent under my wing at OSH. It was nice being able to take more "stuff" this year with the Skyhawk compared to what we can usually bring in the Citabria. I'll be glad to email you some suggestions and photos if you want.
Diana,
I'd appreciate that, though we're no longer planning on camping at 6Y9 as we'd been considering. It's still something I'd like to be able to do in the future. I mean, staying with my relatives at OSH is nice, but I miss out on the chance to get blown over by a thunderstorm or baked by the sun!:rofl: (I really would like to experience the camaraderie of the camping area sometime.:cheerswine:)

I'm sorry that I didn't get over to see you while we were there. I swear, there's never enough time to do all the things you want to at OSH. We did run into Steve See, though (very briefly).

tdager said:
We use REI, Campmor, and other places that we can find a reasonable price for the product we want (notice I did not say cheap).

Our tent is a 2-3 man, 6lb tent (good quality) and such. Lightweight camping gear is perfect for airplane camping.

Most of our stuff comes from REI. Hard be beat for quality, and I can't find Ex Officio stuff anywhere else.

We set up the tent last night. I was impressed with the room. Bigger than our other tents, fairly easy to set up. Self supporting as well. No frills to speak of, but that's OK. The danged thing weighs only 29 ounces. And if you need it lighter, you can save 5 ounces by doing without the screen door. And the mummy bag he bought packs down into a sack (which is attached to the bag) that is 1/3 the size of a sheet of paper and weighs 24 ounces.

If you're tight on space and need to keep the weight to an absolute minimum, this is the ticket.

Grant,

A few quick hits. Your money is best invested in:

+ A good tent
+ A good pack
+ Good boots

You can go for a less expensive tent and "hot rod" it - tape the seams by hand, seam-seal with a commercial sealant, and treat the overall fabric with a water repellant. Rarely is a $50 tarp worth it - just like titanium cookware is just bonkers for but the super dedicated few.

You will never be happy with a less expensive pack. Generally, a pack you don't like will last 2-3 days before it gets under your skin. If you are considering doing lots of backcountry or long-distance hiking, order a McHale Alpine pack. Custom built for your frame, their Critical Mass weight bearing system is just amazing. A friend has one, and the way it sits on your hips is just unreal. Seriously, it felt like I only had 40# on my back, when indeed we had well over 80. The CM Alpine II Bayonet is one beautiful pack.

Your boots are your lifeline - dry, warm feet, no rolled ankles, good grip when things get sketchy and durability for many days of reliable service. I was a big fan of the older Montrail Morane AT with Vibram soles... I'm not sure if they are made anymore.

Good luck Grant. REI is a good place to stop, but indeed it can be expensive. The outlet store is a GREAT way to shop.

Cheers,

-Andrew

DeeG said:
Most of our stuff comes from REI. Hard be beat for quality, and I can't find Ex Officio stuff anywhere else.

I ran by REI on the way out to Oshkosh. Grant, there's one in Morton Grove.

I couldn't find the "bottle" for my CamelBak so I bought a new one. (for $30 (!))

I asked if they had a strap with snap clips to let me make the old fanny pack I had fit. No problem for them. Up until then I had luggage shops laughing at me. The sales guy set me up with a strap and set of clips that matched for like $2 each. My only error was assuming I could make the clips tie off. It turned out it needed to be "welded" or sewn which they also do in store. I gotta go back and have them do that. As it was I tied a couple of knots in the strap.

I stopped by REI for some survival gear before I flew down to the Bahamas a couple of years ago. As a bunch of you mentioned, they have great stuff, but you can pay a pretty penny.

(Hmmm, Abe Lincoln is not particularly pretty, and they're talking (again) about getting rid of the penny. Wonder if that saying is going to go away!)

gprellwitz said:
I mean, staying with my relatives at OSH is nice, but I miss out on the chance to get blown over by a thunderstorm or baked by the sun!:rofl: (I really would like to experience the camaraderie of the camping area sometime.:cheerswine:)
LOL! Yep, it's rugged at times. :D

I did meet some great people who were camping around me and made some new friends there. We all help each other out with various things, and I was offered free drinks from all quadrants. :)

gprellwitz said:
I'm sorry that I didn't get over to see you while we were there. I swear, there's never enough time to do all the things you want to at OSH.
It's kinda like Gaston's. Never enough time to visit with everyone you wanted to see. I did get to spend time with Chip and Ken and Tony and Jesse and Terry Claussen and Mike Quinlan and Linda Guthrie. I ran into Gil and Sue several times in passing. Also spent time with friends from back home and from our EAA Chapter. It was a great time to be with people. But, it was a long walk to my tent/airplane, so I didn't really expect anyone to come visit. :)

mikea said:
I asked if they had a strap with snap clips to let me make the old fanny pack I had fit. No problem for them. Up until then I had luggage shops laughing at me. The sales guy set me up with a strap and set of clips that matched for like $2 each. My only error was assuming I could make the clips tie off. It turned out it needed to be "welded" or sewn which they also do in store. I gotta go back and have them do that. As it was I tied a couple of knots in the strap.

There's a place up the street from the Moto Guzzi dealer called Seattle Fabrics. I LOVE this place. Just about any kind of outdoor type fabric you can think of, along with all the accessories to complete what ever project it is you want to make. Took my Fieldsheer pants there one day because the stinkin zippers gave out (after three wearings). The gal (all 25 face piercings, three toned hair and tattoed arms of her) walked over to a stand, measured out 8 ft of rainproof zipper tape, walked up to the counter and snagged a couple of YKK zipper heads, and then showed me how to install the zipper heads. Cost me less than 20 bucks. reasonable prices and the staff all know what they're doing. Even the guys..........

We're heading to MN next weekend (13th). Cabellas is about 30 miles from the folks' place in faribault. gonna have to find more stuff that i can't live without.

Hmmm....

I'm going to pretend I'm Scott and resurrect one of my own old threads.

Leslie and I were out & about today and stopped by the camping area of a local sports store (NOT REI). We were wondering about the advisability of bringing fuel for camp stoves on the plane; either propane, stuff for Coleman stoves, or charcoal starter. Of the three, I would think that propane would probably be the safest because it's sold in DOT-approved containers. Dee talked abot MSR bottles, which we saw, and Len talked about solid fuel starters. Chris, have you taken that Coleman stove with the propane in the air yet?

BTW, just to be clear, we're NOT considering any hard-core camping. Just on-the-field type stuff at OSH or 6Y9. MAYBE! (But it's a fun & interesting thread!)

Oh, and the sleeping bags I'm considering are these:
The Cat’s Meow sleeping bag from The North Face is a synthetic, twenty-degree bag perfect for three-season mountaineering or camping. It is filled with Polarguard® Delta synthetic insulation and has overlapping shingle construction that evenly distributes insulation for consistent warmth. One nylon/mesh storage bag and one stuffsack included. Stuffsack size: 17” H x 8” W. Weight: 1lb 10oz.
and the tent is this:
The Tadpole 23 tent from The North Face is an ultra light two-person tent perfect for fast and light adventures. This Flight Series™ tent includes: Fusion Pitch which combines pole sleeves and clips, DAC Featherlight™ aluminum poles, Taped, nylon taffeta true bucket floor and Silicone flysheet. Compression stuffsack included. Packed size: 22”H x 6”W. Weight: 4lbs 14oz.
since they're available for our rewards points :)

Back