Camera Technology........

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
...............surely has changed.

The background is my view camera, dating to the 1930s. The Minolta is the 9xi(35mm) which I've had for about five years. At the left is the new Sony A100 w/18-200 lens. The flash on my Canon 35mm SLR overpowered the white engraving on the bodies.

Sky, the 18 wk old terror-on-feet, had to get into the next shot.

HR

Attachments

• Camera Technology (500 x 750).jpg
    Camera Technology (500 x 750).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 025_25.JPG
    025_25.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 35
...............surely has changed.

The background is my view camera, dating to the 1930s. The Minolta is the 9xi(35mm) which I've had for about five years. At the left is the new Sony A100 w/18-200 lens. The flash on my Canon 35mm SLR overpowered the white engraving on the bodies.

Sky, the 18 wk old terror-on-feet, had to get into the next shot.

HR

Cute kitty. They have so much energy at that age. And an endless curiosity streak to go with it, too. :)

Hehe, my 9 months old Siamese loves to get into everything and she never walks anywhere, she runs everywhere and she is just so sweet and adorable.

our kitten had a BALL with the christmas tree this year. now it is in withdrawal.

our kitten had a BALL with the christmas tree this year. now it is in withdrawal.

Don't get me started on what Amelia has done to our Christmas tree! It was her first Christmas though. This is a picture of my kitty.

A012007.jpg

we had no ornaments below 3 feet above floor level by christmas day.

we had no ornaments below 3 feet above floor level by christmas day.

We tried to do the same thing with Amelia, but she was determined to get to them. Finally we broke down and decided to put the non-breakable ornaments on the bottom and the breakables on the very top.

OK, let's talk about what we can do with these Sony Alphas. Attached is a picture I took on Sunday in Paris. I was standing in the Place de la Concorde looking down to the Arc d' Triomph (sp?). Used the 75-300 mm telephoto set to 300 mm. Image stabilization turned on. Auto focus and exposure (landscape mode).

Download the picture and zoom on the people standing at the top of the Arc. You can make out the individual poles of the anti-jumper fence. Then scroll to the right and look at the antenna on top of one of the buildings at l'Defense. That's another mile or two beyond.

Oh, this picture was taken hand holding the camera. I am impressed. A fellow who works for Sony in the UK who hadn't seen the camera yet was impressed. HR, I think you and I got the right camera.

Attachments

• DSC00066.JPG
    DSC00066.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
OK, let's talk about what we can do with these Sony Alphas. Attached is a picture I took on Sunday in Paris. I was standing in the Place de la Concorde looking down to the Arc d' Triomph (sp?). Used the 75-300 mm telephoto set to 300 mm. Image stabilization turned on. Auto focus and exposure (landscape mode).

Download the picture and zoom on the people standing at the top of the Arc. You can make out the individual poles of the anti-jumper fence. Then scroll to the right and look at the antenna on top of one of the buildings at l'Defense. That's another mile or two beyond.

Oh, this picture was taken hand holding the camera. I am impressed. A fellow who works for Sony in the UK who hadn't seen the camera yet was impressed. HR, I think you and I got the right camera.

Amazing how photographers managed to do this for decades without IS by simply using the correct shutter/aperture/ISO combinations. ;)

Where is the EXIF data? Aperture, shutter, ISO, etc., are all attached to the photo file in most digitals. If this was auto everything, in landscape mode, I suspect it was ISO400, f/22+ and somewhere in the 1/125 to 1/250 range (I'm guessing on the shutter speed).

Incidentally, you have a dust spot in the upper left quadrant, probably on the lens. Too defined for a sensor spot, I think.

Incidentally, you have a dust spot in the upper left quadrant, probably on the lens. Too defined for a sensor spot, I think.

Thanks. That would likely be on the UV filter protecting the objective lens. I think I cleaned that off later on. I'll check again when I have a chance.

Amazing how photographers managed to do this for decades without IS by simply using the correct shutter/aperture/ISO combinations. ;)

Where is the EXIF data? Aperture, shutter, ISO, etc., are all attached to the photo file in most digitals. If this was auto everything, in landscape mode, I suspect it was ISO400, f/22+ and somewhere in the 1/125 to 1/250 range (I'm guessing on the shutter speed).

I know about the 'old' stuff. I got this DSLR because I miss the flexibility I had with my Minolta SRT-102. My Olympus C-740 point and shoot digital camera does well, but...

I don't have the software on my work laptop to pull the information about shutter speed, etc. Shutter might have been closer to 1/500 based on what I recall seeing on the display with a number of pictures I took on Sunday. Not sure if I can pull that up on the camera itself. I'll have to look when I get back to the hotel. I'm sitting in a meeting room waiting for a meeting we have to call into at 6 PM CET (9 AM PST).

I don't recall blowing up any pictures I took with the SRT-102 to the degree that I can do on the screen with this one. I know I wouldn't have been able to share them as rapidly. Heck, if I had been shooting film on Sunday it would be waiting until I get home next weekend before it even went in for developing. And I wouldn't have snapped the 150 or so pictures that I did on Sunday. The cost would have been prohibitive. These digital cameras pay for themselves in a short period compared to film. And the quality of images, while not up to Kodachrome 25 standards, is getting pretty good. And I can't get K25 anymore, anyway. :(

Thanks. That would likely be on the UV filter protecting the objective lens. I think I cleaned that off later on. I'll check again when I have a chance.

I've taken to avoiding those "protective" UV filters. One pro put it best: "Why would you take a $2,000 lens (one of my better ones) and ruin the optics by adding a $20 piece of glass in front of it? Protection is the lens cap. Use a lens hood if you're still worried. Otherwise you're just adding glass where it wasn't designed."

I found my pictures tend to get a slight edge in sharpness after I stopped using the UV filters.

To each his own, though. Just my $0.02.

I don't have the software on my work laptop to pull the information about shutter speed, etc. Shutter might have been closer to 1/500 based on what I recall seeing on the display with a number of pictures I took on Sunday. Not sure if I can pull that up on the camera itself. I'll have to look when I get back to the hotel. I'm sitting in a meeting room waiting for a meeting we have to call into at 6 PM CET (9 AM PST).

I don't recall blowing up any pictures I took with the SRT-102 to the degree that I can do on the screen with this one.

If the shutter was closer to 1/500, IS was never a factor. You'd have gotten the same shot on a non-IS camera or lens.

And the "blowup" factor is more a result of the pixel density (ie 10 megapixels) vs anything particularly special about the camera itself. You'd see similar photos from a Canon 30D, Rebel XTi, Nikon D200 or Nikon D80. Or an Olympus, Fuji or Sigma version of a 10MP camera. (The Sigma SD14 seriously got me thinking about switching until I looked at all my glass. The Foveon-type sensor at 14MP should make some incredible images. I can't afford the lens switch, though.)

My point is that, while the Sony is a decent camera, what you took was nothing that made the Sony stand out as a premier choice in comparison to the others in that range. If you're happy with the camera, that's all that counts, though.

Welcome to the digital SLR world. :D

Some examples from an 8MP Canon 20D, taken Saturday evening, north of Wickenburg while wandering amongst the Joshua trees. Note that they are all reduced from their original 7+Mb size. The "polarized" file is actually using a Singh-Ray warming polarizer I got for Christmas. It does some interesting things to color saturation.

Attachments

• Final-Resting-Place-B-W.jpg
    Final-Resting-Place-B-W.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Joshua-Tree-Polarized.jpg
    Joshua-Tree-Polarized.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Joshua Tree Sundown.jpg
    Joshua Tree Sundown.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Joshua-Tree-Sunset.jpg
    Joshua-Tree-Sunset.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 9
From the display on the camera...

1/500 second F5.6 ISO 250 300 mm AWB

Interesting point on the use of filters to protect the lens. Guess it probably isn't needed. My Minota SRT-102 has a seriously dinged frame for the 50 mm lens from being dropped. No way could you ever mount a filter on that lens again. But, last time I used it the pictures came out just fine.

I looked at several different vendors' offerings in the DSLR line before suggesting to my wife that the Sony was the one I would like under the tree. All competitors would work, I just liked (personal preference) the user interface for messing with exposure settings better, at least as it was demonstrated in the store (not an electronics store, a camera store). And the IS being in the camera body was a plus to me. BTW, I tried a couple pictures in the house to see what it would do and it was quite effective. Interior lighting, picture of the room with some fake fir branch decorations. Hand held, of course. Without the IS turned on the picture at first glance was fine, but if you blew it up on the display of the camera the fir needles weren't distinct. Turned on IS, took the same picture again and everything was solid. No flash for either. So that suggests to me that in the proper situation, IS works as advertised. I agree that at 1/500 it probably didn't do diddly for me.

In any case, this is digital camera #4 in our house. We started a number of years ago with a Sony Mavica that did 1 Mpixel and saved the pictures to an internal floppy disc. 10x optical zoom. About 20 pictures to the disc and it ate batteries. Got the Olympus C-740 about 3 years ago after pictures taken at our daughter's wedding demonstrated the relative weakness of the Sony. The Olympus is also 10x optical zoom, 3.2 Mpixel and I've got a 256 Mbyte memory card in it with a 128 Mbyte card in reserve. Just over 300 pictures on the 256 Mbyte card. Takes good pictures and the lens does well. Wife has a Fuji camera we bought just before heading to South Africa in October 2005. 5.1 Mpixel, small 3x optical zoom lens. Very thin, fits in a shirt pocket, boots fast. 1 Gbyte memory card, can put a lot of pictures on that one. But I'll take the pictures from the Olympus over the Fuji any day, even with fewer pixels. The lens more than makes up the difference. Then there's the new Sony Alpha DSLR. Not as compact or convient as either the Olympus or Fuji (by a long shot), but that's not what I wanted it for. 4 Gbyte memory card, good for just over 900 pictures at high resolution stored as JPEG files, probably not much more than 100 as RAW files. I carry it and the Olympus in the camera backpack, and toss the Olympus in my computer bag if I might need (want) to take pictures near meeting settings. But for serious pictures, the Sony is the one. For now. I can see technology causing me to look at something else in another 3 or 4 years. Maybe. I've got more resolution than I can print now. :D

Now, if the weather will just hold and I get some time to take some more pictures around here before flying home on Saturday.

Some examples from an 8MP Canon 20D, taken Saturday evening, north of Wickenburg while wandering amongst the Joshua trees. Note that they are all reduced from their original 7+Mb size. The "polarized" file is actually using a Singh-Ray warming polarizer I got for Christmas. It does some interesting things to color saturation.

Nice pictures. I like the last two in particular. Individual tastes. What's that bright object setting behind the Joshua tree in the last picture? :D Rumor has it that that might be the sun, but living in the Pacific Northwe(s)t I really don't remember. :D

Nice pictures. I like the last two in particular. Individual tastes. What's that bright object setting behind the Joshua tree in the last picture? :D Rumor has it that that might be the sun, but living in the Pacific Northwe(s)t I really don't remember. :D

Thanks. The big bright object shows up every single flippin' day with no breaks. It's terrible. How I long for a nice rainy day so I can sit inside and not feel guilty about it. :D

If the shutter was closer to 1/500, IS was never a factor. You'd have gotten the same shot on a non-IS camera or lens.

Now, take a look at the attached picture. 1/2 second exposure, hand held, IS engaged. This is the Royal Chapel at Versailles. I had some longer ones today as well that turned out great. I know it wasn't my steady hand that did it. :D

Attachments

• DSC00244.JPG
    DSC00244.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
This is the Royal Chapel at Versailles.

Nice pix.

Shifting the topic just slightly, everytime I think about Versailles, I smile. Why? Because on one of my trips there, I was well past the Hall of Mirrors on the tour and I hear a child in the family behind me say, in your finest country drawl, "Momma, jes when do we get to that hall of meers?"....

Now, take a look at the attached picture. 1/2 second exposure, hand held, IS engaged. This is the Royal Chapel at Versailles. I had some longer ones today as well that turned out great. I know it wasn't my steady hand that did it. :D

Nice! What was the ISO? Aperture looks fairly deep, probably in the f/16 - 28 range?

Back