Camera Mount Option

pilotrs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRS
Hi Everyone,

I could really use your help in finding a camera mount that I can put just between our heads in a C172SP, so that it'll my kneepad, the avionics and the front view.

I can't use a bar behind the seats, because the C172SP seat belts extend from the center blocking the view. The surface is fairly smooth on top, but has anyone ever tried a suction mount up there? Or perhaps an arm that hooks to the headrest extenders. Or any other idea?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I could really use your help in finding a camera mount that I can put just between our heads in a C172SP, so that it'll my kneepad, the avionics and the front view.

I can't use a bar behind the seats, because the C172SP seat belts extend from the center blocking the view. The surface is fairly smooth on top, but has anyone ever tried a suction mount up there? Or perhaps an arm that hooks to the headrest extenders. Or any other idea?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks

I used to use a tripod. My tripod has a hook on the bottom that you could hang a sandbag off for stability. Instead I would run the seatbelt through that to hold it in place. Then I would use the articulated arm to move the camera to whatever angle I needed.

Something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548396-REG/Gitzo_GT2531EX_GT2531EX_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html

Here's a review (of the more affordable aluminum version)...

Last edited:
This one, not in a 172, was done using a suction mount on the rear window angled over the front passenger seat. The location and angle of the mount can be adjusted so your harnesses aren't right in front of the camera. Obvious downside is that it might not work that well with a passenger in the seat. I haven't tried it with a passenger to see.

CameraOnRearWindow.jpg

Here's a photo of my cobbled-together contraption that suction-cup mounts between the rear windows and then cantilevers the camera forward. The cantilevered extension is vertically supported by a standard adjustable-length monopod.

Cessna Center-of-Seats Mount - Isolated View.jpg

Not cheap, but not too crazy:

Parts:
a - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko "Co-Pilot" Cockpit Camera Mount ($89.95)
b - (2) Delkin Fat Gecko Extension Kits ($29.95 each)
c - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko 1/4-20 Adapter for GoPro Camera ($6.99)
d - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko DDmount-AC-ARM Connector Bracket ($10)
e - (1) Monopod ($??? - I already owned this)

Edit - I haven't actually tried two extensions yet, but one extension didn't get the camera far enough forward for my liking.

Last edited:
If a section doesn't work - the 3M Tape on the GoPro mounts is incredibly strong. Holds on just fine mounted to the exterior of my plane. I'm sure it would be adequate for the cockpit.

Here's a photo of my cobbled-together contraption that suction-cup mounts between the rear windows and then cantilevers the camera forward. The cantilevered extension is vertically supported by a standard adjustable-length monopod.

Cessna Center-of-Seats Mount - Isolated View.jpg

Not cheap, but not too crazy:

Parts:
a - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko "Co-Pilot" Cockpit Camera Mount ($89.95)
b - (2) Delkin Fat Gecko Extension Kits ($29.95 each)
c - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko 1/4-20 Adapter for GoPro Camera ($6.99)
d - (1) Delkin Fat Gecko DDmount-AC-ARM Connector Bracket ($10)
e - (1) Monopod ($??? - I already owned this)

Edit - I haven't actually tried two extensions yet, but one extension didn't get the camera far enough forward for my liking.
:confused: I would have thought the Fat Gecko Co-Pilot mount would be enough to extend horizontally between the windows and slide the camera into position. Isn't that the whole idea of those suction cups? What's all the other stuff for? Or are the windows you need to use that far back?

my concern is the seatbelts that extend from the center will get in the way, any way to lock it to the ceiling? the aircraft is a rental of course

my concern is the seatbelts that extend from the center will get in the way, any way to lock it to the ceiling? the aircraft is a rental of course
I'd give the suction cup overhead you suggested a try. I tried that in an older Cherokee and it stuck fine. Couldn't use it because those older Pipers have a trim wheel crank up there that would become impossible to use. You wouldn't have that issue with a 172.

:confused: I would have thought the Fat Gecko Co-Pilot mount would be enough to extend horizontally between the windows and slide the camera into position. Isn't that the whole idea of those suction cups? What's all the other stuff for? Or are the windows you need to use that far back?

All in my opinion...

If you secure the Co-Pilot between the two rear windows, and mount the camera right on the Co-Pilot mount, it's too far back. With the camera's wide view, you get a lot of what I call "head butt" and don't see enough of the outside world. I want to extend it forward so that it's getting close to an imaginary line between my eyes and the passenger's eyes. That way the video is at least close to showing what you actually see.

If you extended it forward without the additional vertical support, it would be on the end of a lever arm and bounce around too much.

Back