Camera Flight recording bandwagon

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I've decided to record my upcoming flight (can you tell, I'm excited???!???)

Searching on PoA it seems that many people are happy with GoPro and plugging audio in through an earcup and others record audio separately and then mix it later. I think I'm going to vary my solution a bit, but there are a few details of which I am unsure and I have little time to procure and test the setup, so I would really like to hit a homer on the 1st try.

I have a Sony HDR-XR100 digital handycam that doesnt get enough use. I'd like to employ it but I see there is a proprietary connector for A/V which didn't come with the camera and the manual isn't specific to say if its in/out or output only. I'm betting output only. Scratch that off the list.

There is an accessory shoe on top of the camera that accepts a microphone and looking at them online it I cannot tell how they interface with the camera.

I'd like to K.I.S.S. And get a small mic and put it into an earcup and record that way. My wife will be the camera lady, but I'm not sure (assuming I get the connections all sorted) how it will sound under the Bose ANR Headset she'll be wearing - how much of the natural sounds will the ANR block.

Next option is to find a mic compatible with her Samsung Galaxy S3. I read up on that lastnight and it seems the pinouts of the 3.5mm input have 2 configurations and its no guarantee that if I buy a mic from RadioShack its going to work. BTW, I've successfully used earbuds as a mic in the past as a speaker and mic are, in principle reverses of each other. Downside to this plan is the S3 is a battery hog and we don't have external power in the aircraft.:sad:

Last option (other than the VHS camcorder thats the size of a 1983 boombox) would be my iPhone5. Connector issues are the same and downside is that its FF backup, and I'm not too thrilled about asking it to do double duty, so really its not a viable consideration - my iPad2 is on iOS8 and this will be my first flight with it.

I'm not going to record other flights after this- don't plan to so buying a new setup is also low on my list of favorite things to purchase.

Any recommendations given the equipment we currently own and the constraints given?

I need to have this in-hand by Friday (2 days).

I'd like to K.I.S.S. And get a small mic and put it into an earcup and record that way.

I'm not sure that a small mic in the earcup is any more KISS than a simple splitter and adapter from the headset jack (and less likely to pick up extraneous noise). It's what I use for recording communication audio in the airplane (with a small SONY digital recorder but it should work just as well with anything that can accept a record input).

After further RTFM, the Handycam is out. The A/V cable signal is output only and the accessory shoe is proprietary and only included on certain models, which the XR100 isn't one of them.

So, has anyone plugged a small mic into a Galaxy S3?

Jaybird - the only way to interface a mic with your camera is, as you found, via the AIS hotshoe. There are adapters out there to convert 3.5mm to the AIS shoe, but they aren't cheap. Your best bet is an earbud in the earcup, and record via the Galaxy S3.

Regarding battery, do you have an external USB battery pack? And are you sure there's no 12v or 24v power available in the aircraft anywhere?

When you record, start both devices (Camcorder and phone) at the same time, and clap loudly so both devices can hear the clap. That way you'll have a synchronization point in editing to merge the audio with the video properly. Of course, be sure not to stop/start recording on either device, or you'll lose sync.

Jaybird - the only way to interface a mic with your camera is, as you found, via the AIS hotshoe. There are adapters out there to convert 3.5mm to the AIS shoe, but they aren't cheap. Your best bet is an earbud in the earcup, and record via the Galaxy S3.

Regarding battery, do you have an external USB battery pack? And are you sure there's no 12v or 24v power available in the aircraft anywhere?

When you record, start both devices (Camcorder and phone) at the same time, and clap loudly so both devices can hear the clap. That way you'll have a synchronization point in editing to merge the audio with the video properly. Of course, be sure not to stop/start recording on either device, or you'll lose sync.

I'm going to go the S3 method you suggested.

Is there a way to automate sync with the clap?

No external power on the airplane. The maintenance shop just called me back out adding one ~<$300 from when I asked due to a desire to hardwire a StratusII

For automating syncing with a clap, I believe thew new Final Cut Pro X has put in a feature that does it...but there's also software called PluralEyes that's made to do it. Another way is to line up the audio track along with the audio+video track from the camcorder, and match/line up the audio waveforms on the timeline at the "clap" point.

I'm going to go the S3 method you suggested.

Is there a way to automate sync with the clap?

No external power on the airplane. The maintenance shop just called me back out adding one ~<$300 from when I asked due to a desire to hardwire a StratusII

USB portable battery chargers have gotten pretty cheap - $40ish. My favorite is the $100 one that can also jump start your car.

In the interest of keeping it simple, if you get the right kit a GoPro kit is almost an all in one solution, with the exception of patching into audio. But if you only plan on using it once then it wouldn't make sense to purchase it.

As for the options you are left with, I would wonder about what will be in frame with a phone camera in the tight confines of an aircraft cockpit. It might be a good idea to do a test video from the position you're planning on mounting it. You may want to add a wide angle adapter to the phone to capture the scene. I haven't used a Galaxy S3 before, but if it's anything like the iPhone you may not get much more than yourself and the yolk.

Bring on the Kodak Courage. Have fun, bet never forget it is a bigger distraction then you may realize.

Jay, you can either get the cable here: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/prod...opro-virb-contour-action-camera-adapter-cable. Just pick which device you want to use it for. Since you're only going to use it once, buy it, go use it, and then just send it back to me when you're done... There fixed. I'll get it to you by Friday. Buy an external battery pack for the S3 or your iPhone at Walmart.

You can plug an external mic into your phone, as long as it has a TRRS plug. It should have 4 zones, or 3 black rings. You can buy a cheap pair of earbuds that come with a mic, but make sure you read the package. If it is for iPhone, the mic won't work on your S3, because the pinout is different (The cGnd and Mic are reversed). Also, a few things, if you decide to just go the cheap earbud route. Sticking that mic in your earcup will create a void and offend the ANR. In addition to that, any vibrations, shaking or moving the mic will pick up and put on your recording. Finally, the quality will be poor.

The last option, is go buy a digital recorder that has a lavaliere mic that it comes with. Stick that in your earpiece, pull the recording off, and return the recorder. You will have the same issues as above, but the quality will be improved.

Just remember, that like Greg said, turning a recorder on and off and a camera on and off, is a distraction. You won't record the whole flight in one fail swoop. She will turn it on and off, for the cool stuff. If you want to KISS then running multiple devices is a bad idea. Just get the cable, and then every time she records something, it will automatically grab all the audio and make it beautiful. No muss, no fuss.

Last edited:
Jay, you can either get the cable here: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/prod...opro-virb-contour-action-camera-adapter-cable. Just pick which device you want to use it for. Since you're only going to use it once, buy it, go use it, and then just send it back to me when you're done... There fixed. I'll get it to you by Friday. Buy an external battery pack for the S3 or your iPhone at Walmart.

Shane - could you please send a link to the cable that works with the iPhone? I've been looking for something like this for a long time...

Shane - Do you custom build your cables to order, or are they all manufactured as-is? I alternate between needing U/174 plugs and GA plugs, and would love a cable with GA headphone plug with passthrough, as well as a U/174 pigtail so I can plug in which one's needed at the time. I've got a few U/174 to GA adapters but that's just more to carry and connect. Any chance of a combo cable (w/aux USB power)?

You can plug an external mic into your phone, as long as it has a TRRS plug. It should have 4 zones, or 3 black rings. You can buy a cheap pair of earbuds that come with a mic, but make sure you read the package. If it is for iPhone, the mic won't work on your S3, because the pinout is different (The cGnd and Mic are reversed). Also, a few things, if you decide to just go the cheap earbud route. Sticking that mic in your earcup will create a void and offend the ANR. In addition to that, any vibrations, shaking or moving the mic will pick up and put on your recording. Finally, the quality will be poor.

The last option, is go buy a digital recorder that has a lavaliere mic that it comes with. Stick that in your earpiece, pull the recording off, and return the recorder. You will have the same issues as above, but the quality will be improved.

Just remember, that like Greg said, turning a recorder on and off and a camera on and off, is a distraction. You won't record the whole flight in one fail swoop. She will turn it on and off, for the cool stuff. If you want to KISS then running multiple devices is a bad idea. Just get the cable, and then every time she records something, it will automatically grab all the audio and make it beautiful. No muss, no fuss.

PM Sent.

Shane - could you please send a link to the cable that works with the iPhone? I've been looking for something like this for a long time...

It's the same link as the one above. :) You choose the options you need, and BAM. Here it is again though: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/prod...opro-virb-contour-action-camera-adapter-cable

Shane - Do you custom build your cables to order, or are they all manufactured as-is? I alternate between needing U/174 plugs and GA plugs, and would love a cable with GA headphone plug with passthrough, as well as a U/174 pigtail so I can plug in which one's needed at the time. I've got a few U/174 to GA adapters but that's just more to carry and connect. Any chance of a combo cable (w/aux USB power)?

Oh sure, that's easy. Now just know that only 1 of those "splits" would work. So you could only use the GA connectors, OR the Heli ones. Never both at the same time. All of our custom cables are made by Pilot Communications in California. Just call 949-748-8880, tell them what you want, and they'll make it. You'll have to tell them that I sent you, because they only make the USB cables for us exclusively.

Got it, and responded. If you want any chance of it getting there early Friday, you'd better get that order in today. We have them in stock here in Texas and in California.

Last edited:
Oh sure, that's easy. Now just know that only 1 of those "splits" would work. So you could only use the GA connectors, OR the Heli ones. Never both at the same time. All of our custom cables are made by Pilot Communications in California. Just call 949-748-8880, tell them what you want, and they'll make it. You'll have to tell them that I sent you, because they only make the USB cables for us exclusively.

Any way to custom order that through you, to support you guys instead of going direct? Will send PM.

Any way to custom order that through you, to support you guys instead of going direct? Will send PM.

I mean, I can absolutely build it here, but it's their parts and they will build it faster, that's all. Thank you very much for supporting us!

That's interesting. According to a little research, it was standard equipment until 2000 and then became optional.

I wonder if my editor would let me do a column on a quick and dirty 28-12 volt converter for a $10 bill.

Jim

My pdf POH indicates on pg 7-10 and 11 that it has one in a "location varies". The diagram on 7-10 has a blank panel. It certainly isn't on board. And unfortunately the electrical diagram indicates that the diagram is for a serial number beyond ours and that the glare shield lights are 12V powered.

Bring on the Kodak Courage. Have fun, bet never forget it is a bigger distraction then you may realize.

Both of my motorcycle crashes were while a camera was rolling. I have since learned to turn the camera on then forget that it's there. That was a painful lesson. The cameras (yes plural) survived the second crash better than my knee.

Do everything the way you normally would, and nothing you normally wouldn't.

NFlight Camera from Sportys !
This camera has great video and awesome noise reduction ( 0% engine noise ).

I wish to publicly thank Shane for his willingness to help, even if that help would cost a few dollars.

My final solution was to procure an earbud w. mic for the S3. Initial testing proved positive. Thanks all. Thanks Shane.

It worked out was intended. My wife and her S3 took great video. I just have to join and edit into a final product. I'll likely share it on YouTube.

Thanks for the idea of the external battery. I ended up not needing it, but glad we had it just in case. Found one at a good price at WallyWorld (WalMart).

Back