Camera Advice

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
Looking for suggestions to pass on to my sister who is in the market for a new digital camera. I know nothing about cameras or photography, so I'm passing on questions I have no idea what they really mean. :rolleyes:

She wants a camera that is more like a "traditional" 35mm camera, only digital. She wants one for capturing action images from her son's football games (i.e. fast enough to do that) yet easy enough to use around the house by her 15 year old daughter. Her daughter is also planning on possibly taking some photography classes in high school with it (she has aspirations of becoming a photographer). She also needs suggestions on lenses. Is there a lens that's will allow her to use it for distance shots like the football games, and then use for close up nature or portraits, or is she destined to buy different lenses? She also asked peoples opinion on whether it should be fixed or variable aperture.

Her budget is around 1500.00 or so. Any suggestions on cameras? Others have suggested the Canon 40D. She doesn't know much about it, so your opinions on that camera would be welcome.

Thanks

Lisa

I've been using Canons for a long time (current one: EOS 20D). The imaging is excellent, it has interchangible lenses (SLR). My wife uses it point-and-shoot, I use it full manual (Manual focus, aperture, shutter speed).

Is she looking for a point and shoot or an SLR?

I don't know. Is an SLR the one she needs for speed?? As I said...I'm not a camera/photog guru..I do well to use a disposable camera. Point and shoot to me is a good .45. :D

She wants her daughter to be able to use it in class..so I'm assuming it shouldn't be too auto or point and shoot.

http://product.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi-10-1-Megapixel_W0QQfvcsZ1787QQsoprZ55528673

Digital cameras have come a long way in just the past couple of years in terms of resolution (# of megapixels, etc) and zoom capability. All the while, they have continued to come down in price.
If I were in the market to buy another digital camera, I would look into the Canon EOS Digital Rebel series. Their lenses are interchangable from basic to long telephoto capability.

I have put a link above to the Canon. Ebay has kits with additional components together with the camera - these kits would be all you would need to get started.

Lisa (Tom D's daughter)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digit...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

All of my cameras are of the PHd variety. You know, push here dummy :p

My wife has a Kodak Easy Share that allows her to take very good photos for her needs. I have taken some action photos with it in the proper mode and it does pretty well but not nearly as good as one of those interchangeable lens cameras. It is a PHd camera.

Last edited:
We have just acquired a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. Full auto or manual. In sports mode, It will shoot as long as you hold the button down. I have some excellent sequences of Sandra on approach to landing.

The included software is simply awesome, including Photostitch. which allows putting multiple photos together into a panorama type picture.

All of my cameras are of the PHd variety. You know, push here dummy :p

My wife has a Kodak Easy Share that allows here to take very good photos for here needs. I have taken some action photos with it in the proper mode and it does pretty well but not nearly as good as one of those interchangeable lens cameras. It is a PHd camera.

I also have a Kodak Easy Share. I'm nowhere near any kind of serious photographer, so it meets my needs -- and it was cheap, too. I use it mostly to take pictures for eBay listings. (I'm an eBay consultant, among other geeky things I do to make a living.)

But I also took all of these pictures with the Kodak, most of them on less-than-wonderful days, visibility-wise. These might be more along the lines of what you're interested in doing.

I imagine a fancier camera could do better; but then again, I'm not a very good photographer, so it's hard to say.

Rich

I don't know. Is an SLR the one she needs for speed?? As I said...I'm not a camera/photog guru..I do well to use a disposable camera. Point and shoot to me is a good .45. :D

She wants her daughter to be able to use it in class..so I'm assuming it shouldn't be too auto or point and shoot.

My experience with my Ricoh SLR film camera proves that if you have a lot of settings, you'll have setting wrong. I've even had a college photography class and have taken some fantastic shots.

Life is too short to have a checklist for a camera.

I got one the of the early Canon Elph compact digital cameras and it does a fantastic job. I think it's 2 or 1,5 megapixel. I can still use it, other than the standard problem with every device with a rechargeable battery having a dead battery. It does have all of the special modes you might need, too. You just don't have to know those to get a proper picture.

I would get another Canon like the recommended SD800.

For that budget she could duplicate the camera I have. Sony A100 DSLR with two lenses - SAL 1870 (18-70 mm, f3.5-5.6 zoom) and SAL 75300 (75-300 mm, f4.5-5.6 telephoto). 4 Gbyte memory card and spare battery. 10.2 Mpixel. Sony bought Konica-Minolta a while back, so the glass is Minolta. Image stabilization is built into the camera body, so you don't have to buy it with each lens. I've had mine since Christmas and have been quite happy with it. All the advantages of a single lens reflex camera with the advantages of a digital camera. I'm really happy with it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone..I'm passing it on to her.

Lisa

She wants a camera that is more like a "traditional" 35mm camera, only digital. She wants one for capturing action images from her son's football games (i.e. fast enough to do that) yet easy enough to use around the house by her 15 year old daughter. Her daughter is also planning on possibly taking some photography classes in high school with it (she has aspirations of becoming a photographer).
I have been in the market for a digital SLR. I also happen to have a friend who is a professional and has been an editor of several magazines. He recommend either the Nikon D80 or the Cannon EOS 40D. As for lenses you'll need more than one to hit that range of photography.

Lisa - also have her stop by www.houstonspotters.net - there are a bunch of photogs over there who can help you out. They take a lot of quick, action shots of airplanes taking off and landing. The forum there has some useful advice about different cameras from when some of the members were shopping for new ones. Good luck!

ausrere said:
Her budget is around 1500.00 or so. Any suggestions on cameras? Others have suggested the Canon 40D. She doesn't know much about it, so your opinions on that camera would be welcome.

The very first question to ask is if she will be willing to live with not seeing a preview of her image on the LCD screen. I've seen too many people pick up a dSLR and try to turn on the LCD expecting to see a preview ;) (Some new dSLRs are starting to offer this option, but I don't know how I feel about it yet as it basically takes the SLR part out of the equation.) If she's okay with that, read on :D

Nikon actually came out with a basic dSLR for the novice called the D40 (Not to be confused with the Canon 40D, etc). The D40 amounts to a point and shoot dSLR. Recently Nikon released an updated D40 called the D40x, which is what I would recommend. 10.2 Megapixels, the usual shooting "modes" like on point and shoot digitals (Action, Nighttime, etc), and the system will provide tips on your shooting (such as image too dark, try flash).

At the same time, the camera will allow for manual operation (which is probably what the daughter will want for her photography course. The camera kit is 750$ at B&H Photo/Video (bhphoto.com). The folks at B&H did a bang up job when I ordered my Pentax K10D, and are about the cheapest REPUTABLE camera company online from what I've seen.

My suggestion is the following:

Nikon D40x 10.2 MP Entry Level dSLR w/ 18-55 Nikkor AF lens and 2GB Ultra II SD Card - 750$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494401-REG/Nikon__D40x_Digital_Camera_Kit.html

Nikkor 55-200mm Normal-Telephoto Lens - 170$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381797-USA/Nikon_2156_55_200mm_f_4_5_6G_ED_AF_S.html

Nikkor 50mm 1.8D Normal Lens - 115$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

3x Tiffen 52mm UV "Protector" filter - 33$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/72713-REG/Tiffen_52UVP_52mm_UV_Protector_Glass.html

Various Accessories (Camera Bag, Tripod, etc) (These are purely suggestions, as it depends on how much you're going to expand your photography equipment or how much you'll carry at one time, etc).

Lowepro Camera Holster Bag - 25$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318814-REG/Lowepro_3458010_Rezo_TLZ_10_Camera.html

Nikon Full Size Tripod - 55$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318814-REG/Lowepro_3458010_Rezo_TLZ_10_Camera.html
(Note: You can buy a cheapo tripod at Wally world that works just as well for most people, once again this is just an example.)

Nikon Wireless Remote for D40x - 17$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207373-USA/Nikon_4730_ML_L3_Remote_Control_Transmitter.html

Total Cost: $1165 + shipping

Now let me explain my choices.

The basic camera kit comes with an 18-55 lens and a 2GB SD card. This card will probably hold about 350 - 400 photos at the highest JPG setting. You can shoot in RAW on the D40x, and the card may hold up to 100 shots in that mode (RAW is probably what her daughter will learn to use and manipulate in that photography class). The 18-55 lens is equivalent to a 1-3x Zoom, and is good for basic everyday photography.

The second lens I suggested is the 55-200 lens, which will equate to a 3-9x zoom. When using this zoom, I'd suggest a tripod just to make sure that there's as little shake from her hands as possible. The tripod listed above is a Nikon branded tripod, and is just an example of about the most you should pay for one (so long as the legs extend long enough for the camera to be at your eye level, you should be good).

The 50mm 1.8 lens is my suggestion for her daughter to use with her photography. Alot of intro to photography courses will focus on SLR technique, including low light photography without a flash. Without going into too much detail, the 50mm 1.8 lens will do two things: 1) Enable the photography of a scene that might otherwise be out of reach of the kit lens that came with the camera due to low light, and 2) Prevent the accidental movement of the zoom during a photo which might "blur" an image, particularly in low light or long exposures. Note that this lens will NOT autofocus on the D40x.

UV Protector filters are essentially pieces of glass which will cut down haze a little bit in photos, but more importantly, will keep dust and scratches from reaching your expensive lenses! No matter what dSLR your friend gets, she should ask about UV filters for her lenses. As soon as she opens the box with the lenses in them, go ahead and screw on the filter (most lenses are dust free when they're packaged, so it's an optimal time to put the filter on when opening it). Once the filter is on, you don't have to touch it. Put the lens cap on the filter, and you're good to go. If there is a local camera shop where she can find a "LensPen", that is what I use to brush anything that happens to get on my filters. It shouldn't cost more than a few dollars. Anything that solely rubs on the filter (microfiber cloths, etc) should be avoided. With a lens brush, you can lightly remove the foreign objects without putting any pressure on the lens (or on the foreign objects TO the lens :().

The Lowepro bag is just a suggestion, as is the wireless remote, but if the daughter takes the photography course and does a section on night shots, it's always nice to have the camera setup and not press on the body to release the shutter. Less camera shake, clearer pictures.

The only issue I really have with the 40D is for a novice, the buttonphobia can kick in. I've attached two images, one of the Canon 40D from the top, and one of the Nikon D40x from the top.

I hope this helps, and if it's too late, maybe someone else can use the info. :D

Attachments

• 40d.jpg
    40d.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 5
  • nikon-d40.jpg
    nikon-d40.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 4
What William said. We're happy owners of a Nikon D70, but that has many more features than we ever use. A Nikon D40 should do just fine. I also second his recommendation for B&H - they're a high-quality outfit to deal with.

If your sister ends up in the Nikon dSLR family, a nifty lens to consider is the Nikkor 18-200mm zoom. It's spendy (in the $600 range) but does a great job of giving you everything from wide angle to telephoto in one lens. These lenses have been harder to get than hen's teeth and I see that B&H doesn't even try to carry them any more. I got one through Amazon.

Regards,
Joe

We have just acquired a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. Full auto or manual......

I have the film version of this, and have used the digital version as well, and it's an extremely versatile and easy to use camera that takes great photos. You can point and shoot with it in many of the automatic modes, or you can go fully manual with it and make art to your heart's content.
When I finally go digital, that is the camera I will be buying.

Must be a really small sensor in the camera William is suggesting. The sensor in the Sony A100 is a bit smaller than a frame of 35 mm film, so a 35 mm focal length lens gives the same image as a 50 mm lens on a 35 mm camera. Thus, that 18-55 mm lens would be 1/2 x to about 1.5 x. The Sony 18-70mm lens is a 1/2 x to 2 x lens.

All this occurs because the lens still provides an image that would be useful on a 35 mm film camera, but you're only seeing a part of it with the sensor. Thus there is some "magnification" effect using the smaller sensor - you're getting full resolution on a portion of the image coming through the lens.

Oh, and with the 4 Gbyte memory card on the 10.2 Mpixel Sony you can get over 900 pictures at the highest jpeg resolution setting. Depending on the contrast in the picture, files will be as large as 5 MBytes or so. And it has the option of using RAW format, as well. Software to deal with RAW comes with the camera. What I haven't tried is loading in on my new computer to see if it is compatible with Vista. Works fine on my XP based laptop.

In any case, there are several good options out there. I like the "knobology" of the Sony better than the others, but that's personal preference.

Put my vote in for the Digital Rebel. I abuse the living crap out of it and it keeps on clicking away for me.

Must be a really small sensor in the camera William is suggesting. The sensor in the Sony A100 is a bit smaller than a frame of 35 mm film, so a 35 mm focal length lens gives the same image as a 50 mm lens on a 35 mm camera. Thus, that 18-55 mm lens would be 1/2 x to about 1.5 x. The Sony 18-70mm lens is a 1/2 x to 2 x lens.

All this occurs because the lens still provides an image that would be useful on a 35 mm film camera, but you're only seeing a part of it with the sensor. Thus there is some "magnification" effect using the smaller sensor - you're getting full resolution on a portion of the image coming through the lens.

Oh, and with the 4 Gbyte memory card on the 10.2 Mpixel Sony you can get over 900 pictures at the highest jpeg resolution setting. Depending on the contrast in the picture, files will be as large as 5 MBytes or so. And it has the option of using RAW format, as well. Software to deal with RAW comes with the camera. What I haven't tried is loading in on my new computer to see if it is compatible with Vista. Works fine on my XP based laptop.

In any case, there are several good options out there. I like the "knobology" of the Sony better than the others, but that's personal preference.

1.5x magnification factor for the APS-C sensors, which is pretty much the standard size except in a few full frame sensor cameras. 18*1.5 = 27mm, which is just below the digital idea of 35mm = 1x, but if you want to get specific I guess you could say .75x (27mm equiv) to 2.35x (55mm/82.5mm equiv).

Just trying to keep it simple for Lisa's friend, and not many amateur photogs are going to be able to tell the difference between 2.35x and 3x. ;)

1.5x magnification factor for the APS-C sensors, which is pretty much the standard size except in a few full frame sensor cameras. 18*1.5 = 27mm, which is just below the digital idea of 35mm = 1x, but if you want to get specific I guess you could say .75x (27mm equiv) to 2.35x (55mm/82.5mm equiv).

Just trying to keep it simple for Lisa's friend, and not many amateur photogs are going to be able to tell the difference between 2.35x and 3x. ;)

True, but after many years of shooting 35mm slides with a Minolta SRT-102, I'm used to thinking of a 50 mm lens as being 1x. Therefore, with the difference in sensor size, 35 mm becomes a 1x lens. It all goes from there. In any case, the big advantage of a DSLR is the ability to swap lenses to get what you want/need in a given situation. That, and my Sony A100 is a bunch faster in setting up an exposure than my Olympus C-740 point and shoot digital camera (which has a great 10X optical zoom lens and 3.2 Mpixel resolution - takes great pictures for a point and shoot).

The Canon 30D now comes with the 28-135 IS lens as part of the kit, for under 1500 bucks. That's where I'd put my money now, hands down.

ps. I also have the Canon SD800 IS which is a great little camera. I have the 30D but the lens kit last year was the 18-55 which is kinda "eh". I went out and bought the Canon 35mm 1.4L lens which is pretty much overkill for what she wants it for. The 28-135 IS will be my next lens.

Last edited:
Next camera I buy, I am going to search for one that does not have the VERY annoying feature mine has.
You line up the shot, press the button and......wait......THEN it takes the picture. After the person/animal/vehicle has moved!
What is the term for the delay between click and shot?

Next camera I buy, I am going to search for one that does not have the VERY annoying feature mine has.
You line up the shot, press the button and......wait......THEN it takes the picture. After the person/animal/vehicle has moved!

Shutter lag. Bleh.

I have pre-ordered the new Canon 40D (body only), after a fair bit of research on digital SLRs. I haven't received it yet (they're just starting to be shipped), but early reviews are very good. It has some significant improvements over the 30D, which is still a very good camera and now going for a lot less of course. I'm probably going to get the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS as an "all purpose" starter lens - good optics, image stabilizer (3-stops) and 5X zoom. This lens would be equivalent in focal length to a zoom of about 28-150 mm in a traditional film SLR camera, because the digital light sensor is smaller than the old 24X36 film format. Oh .... I now read that people have covered this already. Total cost for this will be close to $2K.

Last edited:

"Autofocus". Pretty much every camera that has autofocus is going to have a perceptible delay. The other big offender is "Red Eye Reduction" if you're using a flash. Other automatic features also can take time for the electronics to figure out and set up. If you want the shutter to click quickly you have to turn all the automagic stuff off and control the camera manually.

Regards,
Joe

I have pre-ordered the new Canon 40D (body only), after a fair bit of research on digital SLRs. I haven't received it yet (they're just starting to be shipped), but early reviews are very good. It has some significant improvements over the 30D, which is still a very good camera and now going for a lot less of course. I'm probably going to get the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS as an "all purpose" starter lens - good optics, image stabilizer (3-stops) and 5X zoom. This lens would be equivalent in focal length to a zoom of about 28-150 mm in a traditional film SLR camera, because the digital light sensor is smaller than the old 24X36 film format. Oh .... I now read that people have covered this already. Total cost for this will be close to $2K.

Hope you enjoy it :D Image stabilization is awesome. I love the fact that my old manual 50mm lens gets image stab. on the K10D. 1+ second crisp clean handheld exposures... :hairraise: My cost will probably be up there once I buy the lenses I want... 31mm f/1.8 Limited... mmm... and of course the 10-17mm Fisheye..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/394223-REG/Pentax_20290_Wide_Angle_SMCP_FA_31mm.html - 31mm 1.8 Lim

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/418135-USA/Pentax_21580_SMCP_DA_10_17mm_f_3_5_4_5_ED.html - Fishy fishy

Last edited:
"Autofocus". Pretty much every camera that has autofocus is going to have a perceptible delay. The other big offender is "Red Eye Reduction" if you're using a flash. Other automatic features also can take time for the electronics to figure out and set up. If you want the shutter to click quickly you have to turn all the automagic stuff off and control the camera manually.

Regards,
Joe

On most automagic cameras if you hold the shutter button halfway down, it'll go through the autofocus and exposure measurements, and then you can wait until the appropriate time to finish pressing the button, which takes the picture. That'll get rid of the autofocus lag, but sadly some digital cameras still have a bad shutter lag. No clue why they'd release it to the public like that, but *shrug* money is money I guess :)

On most automagic cameras if you hold the shutter button halfway down, it'll go through the autofocus and exposure measurements, and then you can wait until the appropriate time to finish pressing the button, which takes the picture. That'll get rid of the autofocus lag, but sadly some digital cameras still have a bad shutter lag. No clue why they'd release it to the public like that, but *shrug* money is money I guess :)

One other nice feature about the Sony. A sensor detects that you've placed it to your eye and the autofocus fires up without your pushing the shuttle release. Operates continuously. Or, turn it off and focus manually. Your choice.

You could also set the aperture on 22, focus, and be in focus to "infinity".

there is a nifty DOF chart online somewhere. I've been having fun with dialing in 2.8 or lower and focusing in on something tightly - check this out:

1324106822_14aebc75a1.jpg

You could also set the aperture on 22, focus, and be in focus to "infinity".

there is a nifty DOF chart online somewhere. I've been having fun with dialing in 2.8 or lower and focusing in on something tightly - check this out:

1324106822_14aebc75a1.jpg

Linky?

Looking for suggestions to pass on to my sister who is in the market for a new digital camera. I know nothing about cameras or photography, so I'm passing on questions I have no idea what they really mean. :rolleyes:

She wants a camera that is more like a "traditional" 35mm camera, only digital. She wants one for capturing action images from her son's football games (i.e. fast enough to do that) yet easy enough to use around the house by her 15 year old daughter. Her daughter is also planning on possibly taking some photography classes in high school with it (she has aspirations of becoming a photographer). She also needs suggestions on lenses. Is there a lens that's will allow her to use it for distance shots like the football games, and then use for close up nature or portraits, or is she destined to buy different lenses? She also asked peoples opinion on whether it should be fixed or variable aperture.

Thanks

Lisa

Well, getting the body at that budget is doable, you can get the Fuji S2Pro (that's what I have, and will fall within her budget and get her a 12.2 megapixel camera, which gives printable image quality comparable to a medium format camera like my old Hasselblad, ie, good quality prints that hold together at 20"x24". If I was going to buy another body, I'd get the Kodak DCS. Both of these bodies use the Nikkor "F" AI lenses) used and have enought money for a lens, but not "the" lens that she'll want. The lens that she wants for shooting football and portraits is the Nikkor 300/2.8 EDAF (actually the 400 and 600 are better for the football games, but are VERY expensive, even used) which you can get around a grand used. The other portrait lens she'll want is the Nikkor 105/2.5, that and the 300/2.8 are pretty much the finest portrait lenses that go on the 35mm frame size cameras. If she has to stay at a lower budget for a lens just now (the 300/2.8 EDAF would be the first lens I bought if budget allowed, but be warned, it is BIG) Sigma makes a good, I think it's either 70-210mm f 2.8 APO zoom lens that would serve her reasonably well, and if she shopped well, could probably get a S2Pro body and that lens in her budget (although I would advise trying to find the extra money and get the 300/2.8 EDAF. Whatever though, Do NOT save on budget by getting the 300/f4 instead of the 300/f2.8, not even similar quality, just get the Sigma zoom and save her spare change up and keep an eye on ebay for the deal.

Camera

Sigma Lens

Nikkor 300 f2.8 ED AF

Nikkor 80-400 f4.5/5.6 VR zoom This would be a pretty good football game and all purpose lens for her daughter, but would have too much depth of field for portrait work ( The key to portrait work is to limit the depth of field so only the the subject is in clear focus, which requires the largest aperature setting/lowest f- number, possible)

Nikkor 600 f4 ED-IF AF

If she needs more info, put her in touch with me.

M***** F***** POS is the term that usually comes out of my mouth, which is why I have the camera I do.

It appears, Henning, that you have been copying my lines!

Classic shot from vacation when my son and nephew are both along- Chris (nephew, older) throws Tommy into the pool, and I try to take a picture of it - get the splash, only.

Hope you enjoy it :D Image stabilization is awesome. I love the fact that my old manual 50mm lens gets image stab. on the K10D. 1+ second crisp clean handheld exposures... :hairraise: My cost will probably be up there once I buy the lenses I want... 31mm f/1.8 Limited... mmm... and of course the 10-17mm Fisheye..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/394223-REG/Pentax_20290_Wide_Angle_SMCP_FA_31mm.html - 31mm 1.8 Lim

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/418135-USA/Pentax_21580_SMCP_DA_10_17mm_f_3_5_4_5_ED.html - Fishy fishy
Yes, I thought long and hard about the K10D, for the reasons you mention. And because my first and most beloved camera was a 1968 (approx) Spotmatic with the 50mm f/1.4 gorgeous bit of glass in it. I also still have my old 28mm Super Takumar wide angle, good as new after all these years. BUT, I'm told I can buy an adapter and actually use the screw-mount 50mm Takumar (at least, not so sure about the 28mm) in my new 40D (which just arrived yesterday by the way, sans lens). No autofocus of course, but what the hey .....

The K10D is an awesome camera as well, such a difficult choice. And the Nikons are equally good, don't doubt it for a moment. I'm not as familiar with their cameras/lenses, but am very familiar with Nikon's superior scientific microscope lenses. Just superb.
I just spent nearly $500 today on the Canon 17-85 IS (stabilized) standard zoom lens, should arrive next week (from Adorama).

Yes, the Canon IS (stabilization) system is quite remarkable - a true three stop improvement. I didn't really believe it until I played with a number of IS lenses at the store. Worth every penny.

Better living through gyroscopy!

I have a Digital Rebel with a Quantaray 18-125 zoom and a very old Tamron 200-400 zoom. Its good enough to shoot action closeups at swim meets and action closeups at little league baseball games. I've gotten excellent results, and this package (with a more modern big zoom) would be within the budget. The attached was shot from a distance of about 100 feet. It was made with the camera set on the lowest resolution it would do because we used these in a video and did not need 8 MP images. This is the original file and has not been cropped or photoshopped.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
Yes, I thought long and hard about the K10D, for the reasons you mention. And because my first and most beloved camera was a 1968 (approx) Spotmatic with the 50mm f/1.4 gorgeous bit of glass in it. I also still have my old 28mm Super Takumar wide angle, good as new after all these years. BUT, I'm told I can buy an adapter and actually use the screw-mount 50mm Takumar (at least, not so sure about the 28mm) in my new 40D (which just arrived yesterday by the way, sans lens). No autofocus of course, but what the hey .....

The K10D is an awesome camera as well, such a difficult choice. And the Nikons are equally good, don't doubt it for a moment. I'm not as familiar with their cameras/lenses, but am very familiar with Nikon's superior scientific microscope lenses. Just superb.
I just spent nearly $500 today on the Canon 17-85 IS (stabilized) standard zoom lens, should arrive next week (from Adorama).

Yes, the Canon IS (stabilization) system is quite remarkable - a true three stop improvement. I didn't really believe it until I played with a number of IS lenses at the store. Worth every penny.

Better living through gyroscopy!

Really any of the three manufacturers are a great choice, but for a novice, I really have to push for the Nikon D40. I still don't know what some of the buttons on my K10D do... Particularly that bright silver one on top. :D

I really appreciate all your suggestions. I've sent every one to her. She's a very careful shopper, and she doesn't rush in to a purchase, so I'm sure all the suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks!

Really any of the three manufacturers are a great choice, but for a novice, I really have to push for the Nikon D40. I still don't know what some of the buttons on my K10D do... Particularly that bright silver one on top. :D

Hmmm, there are an awful lot of button on the Canon 40D as well ........ :hairraise:

Up to a point buttons are good. Then they become very very bad. Nikon optics are legendary, so one can't go wrong there. The D40 may be the way to go. Maybe Canon should have gone straight to the 50D from the 30D, to avoid confusion.

Here's a sample of a pic taken with the S2Pro set to a hi quality JPG(about 1/3rd way from worst to best resolution I also have options of RAW or TIFF files) with a 105 Nikkor lens.

Fire Line 1.jpg

Back