Calling out the fuel truck/parking question

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
Good evening all,

I am a new pilot that did their training in a class c airport. So I know I should probably know the answer to this but I don't. During my training, I knew where to park the plane and I knew the number to all when requesting a fuel truck...but that was at my home airport. I am wondering the procedure for those of you who may fly to an unfamiliar airport as in the following:

I am planning to fly to KMOB a Class C airport. Generally speaking, as part of your pre-flight planning, do you call the FBO and get details on GA parking, fuel, etc? So let's suppose I land and tower takes me over to ground which I inform I am going to the local FBO....do I also load up the UNICOM frequency to speak with the local FBO to make sure I am parking in the right area - or what if I needed fuel - same frequency?

I guess I am trying to make sure I understand the procedure of what to do when I arrive at an new airport. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stephen

I typically all ahead to the FBO mainly to inquire about fees. Most of the time, when you park on their ramp they will ask you, or you can just walk into their office and give your fuel order.

Follow the signs to the FBO,or look for stand alone fuel tanks for self service.

Not every airport you fly into you need a FBO. My home airport has overnight parking and self serve fuel. If you want a fuel truck there are 3 companies to call. All of that info is available on serval web sites and even foreflight.

Give the FBO a call 15 min out on there freq. Advise them of your ETA and any services you may need. After they respond ask if there is a particular place they would like you to park. As a courtesy at a busy FBO I will call them again when taxing in. XYZ aviation Cessna N9123X on the ground taxing in.

Looks like MOB only has Signature, per FF.
They will likely wave you to a parking spot, if not park right in front of the main door..er park with all the other planes!
ASRI 130.225

Look up the airport on airnav.com, call ahead, know where you going to park and get fuel, look at the runway diagram before you land or preferably before you take off, and if you have a question when you land, ask ground for progressive taxi instructions and they'll be happy to help you.

I choose based off fltplan, just pull up, get marshaled in, let them know what I need for services, done. Typically I don't call or radio ahead.

At something the size of a class C there will probably be a line guy giving you directions when you taxi onto the ramp. When you get shut down the first thing he'll probably ask if you want any fuel. It still never hurts to call.

Call about fuel prices and fees beforehand. I'll often call every FBO at a new field as there are places like Atlantic at KSCK that will charge you $20 just for taxiing up to their ramp...and they're the only bet on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a new airport i'm going to and I know i will be parking or taking fuel I always call ahead of time. a simple telephone call on the way to the airport works just so they know roughly when you're arriving and that way you can ensure they have the services you need.

As for the unicom frequency, I'll typically call them up about 10 minutes let them know ill be on the ground in about 10 minutes, that way when you land they are already out there waiting for you!

and most importantly! know which way you are going to turn off and the name of the FBO you are going to. I can't tell you how many times I've heard planes say "going to the FBO" followed by ATC asking which one, followed by a lot of confusion on the pilots part trying to figure it out! all of that is just info to make it a smoother easier time on your part

I just show up and look for the marshaller. If I don't see one, I'll park in a logical location that's not blocking anyone (or directly behind a jet) and I'll be sure to leave my parking brake off so they can tow it if they need to. Since I'm not on a tight schedule I skip the radio call ahead. If I've given them a heads up of my arrival via phone, they'll normally already be tracking me and awaiting my arrival.

I do the same thing as Brad Z, I've only had two times where that didn't quite work in all my years of flying.

One time, I landed at BVY and after being directed to one of the FBOs by ground I asked someone in the FBO if where I parked was OK to leave the plane for a few days or whether I needed to move it. The guy reamed me out. Further, they declined an offer of a phone (this was back before the cell phone days) but a flight instructor who witnessed this whole thing took pity on us and took us into his office to call the hotel. Needless to say I avoid that airport like the plague.

The only other time was landing at COS right after I got my license I followed the signs for "TRANSIENT AIRCRAFT" only to find that all the transient aircraft were green and there was a giant sign over the building that said "WELCOME TO NORAD." I had to confess to ground (which probably was laughing at me taxing my tomahawk to the wrong side of the airport) and get progressives over to the FBO.

Always call ahead. I usually ask for "local knowledge" or things I should be aware of that are not listed like fees.
When you land and Ground gives you taxi directions to park you most likely will see a ground guide. They are listening to the freq. As soon as you shut down they will chock your wheels and ask what you need.

I just show up and look for the marshaller. If I don't see one, I'll park in a logical location that's not blocking anyone (or directly behind a jet) and I'll be sure to leave my parking brake off so they can tow it if they need to. Since I'm not on a tight schedule I skip the radio call ahead. If I've given them a heads up of my arrival via phone, they'll normally already be tracking me and awaiting my arrival.

^
That.

Most places I've gone to have a guy in a golf cart that just shows me where to park, if there is one.

If there isn't I'll just taxi to where the fuel pumps or FBO is and park nearby. Only once I've had someone yell at me for parking.

When I go to a class C, I usually see a Follow Me truck right after mentioning an FBO name on Ground (getting taxi clearance). Except Monterey, but that airport is real sleepy and I really don't know why it isn't Class D.

Airnav fltplan.com and AOPA Airports can give you FBO info. If you have Foreflight, it can as well. Same with most EFB apps.

Like has been said, nothing beats local knowledge. There is no "pat answer." I like to call ahead, especially when it'll be an overnighter. If they have Unicom I like to give them a call a ways out with an ETA if workload allows which it usually does. At controlled airports Ground can sometimes be very helpful even though it's not their job. Just plain language questions, no particular phraseology. If the controller is busier than a three legged cat covering up s**t, you should probably not be asking parking questions. You'll get the hang of it after a few trips. It can be surprisingly simple at some major airline airports.

And. Many class Cs have self serve fuel which could be as much as 2 bucks cheaper. Ask about that. :)

All the fuel price data should be on AirNav.com.

You don't really have to call ahead. Check the airport info (GPS, airnav or FAA airport directory). If it has fuel, you're usually good to go. Self serve is open 24 hours a day and is usually less than the truck. If they dont come to you, go to them, find the FBO. Ask around if you have to, can even ask tower where to park for fuel. They know.

All part of preplanning which your CFI will train you and go over with you. All of the above answers are applicable. If you have time get the crew car and go get ya some fresh Gulf seafood! :yesnod:

Mardi Gra coming up, or you might have missed it in Mobile. Don't remember the dates. It was started before New Orleans and is the oldest. :cheers:

Last edited:
If the airport has more that one FBO, the Tower/Ground Control won't tell you where to go. They can tell you which places probably have fuel, but you have to tell them which one you want to go to since they don't want to show a preference for one or the other. So call ahead so you at least have clue what you are doing.

Some places may only have Self Serve Fuel Pump, I have taxied up the pump before to read the sign that said "Hit by Lightning, Out of Service, Call xxx for call out your $40 fee". I already said it but it is worth saying twice, call ahead.

Brian

I NEVER call a fuel truck. Self serve is my way. I do not trust anyone putting fuel in my airplane. I have stuck by this for the longest. About 6 months ago I had my hangar open and getting ready to fly. The local fuel truck drove by so I called him over. I told the guy turn it on and I would pump. He insisted that he would pump the gas. Well he overflowed my tank by a big margin and made a HUGE mess. I was not happy. The caulk that holds my rear Cessna windows in got melted by the fuel. I spent about 6 hours scrubbing and buffing my windows. Never again.... If a airport does not have self serve I will go somewhere else.

I always ask them to leave a 1/2" short, prevents overfilling, and make sure you are looking into their eyes when you tell them, otherwise you may not have their full attention.

I always ask them to leave a 1/2" short, prevents overfilling, and make sure you are looking into their eyes when you tell them, otherwise you may not have their full attention.

If you don't want it overfilled do it yourself or watch them do it. There's nothing you're going to do to get their attention that will stop your average line guy from filling beyond where you told them to stop in your fuel order.

Occasionally they underfuel me, but more often than not they'll top anything that appears to be a fuel filler (we had a guy who had removed the aux tank in the Navion and covered the filler will an inspection plate with a bunch of screws and some moron removed all the screws and filled up his baggage compartment with avgas. When was the last time you saw a fuel filler you had to open with MULTIPLE screws?

Thank you all the comments. This is what I was looking for...I mean I understand the sites to go to....I was mainly asking about procedures in terms of talking with ground and then getting to the fbo and talking with them. I appreciate everyone's help. As a newer pilot who hasn't really flown anywhere much yet, these basic questions come up. I had great training but its funny how you really start thinking about questions AFTER you get your license..next thing to do is just get out there!

Stick the tanks and tell the rampie how many gallons in each. That prevents all the problems mentioned here, and is particularly important if operating at reduced fuel due to W&B.

I had great training but its funny how you really start thinking about questions AFTER you get your license..next thing to do is just get out there!

Yes, very true. You really have a license to learn after becoming certified. You'll find that you'll constantly be learning too. Whenever you land at a tower controlled airport, 99% of controllers (always going to get the a-hole once in awhile) will be very helpful in getting around the airport. Just ask!

Stick the tanks and tell the rampie how many gallons in each. That prevents all the problems mentioned here, and is particularly important if operating at reduced fuel due to W&B.

How so? I tell the guy to put six in and he tops the tanks. Short of watching him (or doing it myself), how does your situation stop your plane from being overfueled.

Then when it happens, you probably get a complete dumbass look from the FBO when you tell them that

1. You ain't paying for fuel you didn't order.
2. You need that weight removed before you can go.

I NEVER call a fuel truck. Self serve is my way. I do not trust anyone putting fuel in my airplane. I have stuck by this for the longest. About 6 months ago I had my hangar open and getting ready to fly. The local fuel truck drove by so I called him over. I told the guy turn it on and I would pump. He insisted that he would pump the gas. Well he overflowed my tank by a big margin and made a HUGE mess. I was not happy. The caulk that holds my rear Cessna windows in got melted by the fuel. I spent about 6 hours scrubbing and buffing my windows. Never again.... If a airport does not have self serve I will go somewhere else.

Same here... NO one fuels my plane but me...

Same here... NO one fuels my plane but me...

I watch carefully or do myself. The Navion main tanks are easy to leave substantially full if you don't fill them carefully (it's a single point fill for both wing tanks so it takes a while for the fuel to drain across). I always volunteer to do the baggage compartment aux tank. That one you know it's about full by a slight rushing of air out of the filler. If you miss that, you're next sign is getting a face full of 100LL as it comes gushing out of the filler neck (and your shoes get drenched out the vent line).

How so? I tell the guy to put six in and he tops the tanks. Short of watching him (or doing it myself), how does your situation stop your plane from being overfueled.

Then when it happens, you probably get a complete dumbass look from the FBO when you tell them that

1. You ain't paying for fuel you didn't order.
2. You need that weight removed before you can go.

Well, I fuel every CAP flight, sometimes multiple times, and I've NEVER had this happen when a number of gallons is given. In fact, it's quite rare for them to be 0.1 gal over.

So, you're chasing a rare problem.

On the other hand,, I've had some problems when they are told to "fill to the tabs," including once where they filled to the top. Had to offload a passenger to another plane for that one.

If there is more than one the tower will ask you which one. I just say the closest one. Or the one closest to the restuarant or airport lobby if there is one.

So, you're chasing a rare problem.

On the other hand,, I've had some problems when they are told to "fill to the tabs," including once where they filled to the top. Had to offload a passenger to another plane for that one.

You have a good FBO. It's far from rare in my experience. I've asked for 3 a side (pretty much standard procedure in Colorado for the trainers) and have them topped. I've asked for specific fuel load at BKL and got topped. I've had my tips filled when I didn't even ask for ANY there. That's problematic as it's not a good idea to land with full tips in my plane and it takes along time to burn those down (as you have to get an hour out of the mains before you can switch).

Well, I fuel every CAP flight, sometimes multiple times, and I've NEVER had this happen when a number of gallons is given. In fact, it's quite rare for them to be 0.1 gal over.

You obviously haven't fueled much at a Landmark FBO.

Pick your city.....doesn't matter, they are notorious for overfueling.

You obviously haven't fueled much at a Landmark FBO.

Pick your city.....doesn't matter, they are notorious for overfueling.

Yes, I have. They give the CAP discount at Oakland. Still very high, but $1/gallon sure adds up.

CAP rules are such that you end up fueling at a lot of remote airports. Every time a mission number changes or the PIC changes, 'cause that can change who pays for it.

I can't argue that the two FBOs at Palo Alto aren't pretty good, aside from the cheaper one not always answering the Unicom during business hours. But I need to fuel almost anywhere I take a CAP airplane and turn the engine off.

Back