Calling all Apple experts.

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Recently my wife left her iPhone at a grocery store a couple of miles from our home. When checking with Find iPhone, the message " Phone is on line but cannot be located" was returned. When I called the phone, the clerk answered and we were able to retrieve the phone. As soon as my wife picked up the phone and was on her way home Find iPhone was able to pinpoint her location again. Any idea why Find iPhone didn't show a location? It was located in cell coverage since we were able to call it. All the settings were correct since it worked correctly when she was on her way home.
The one time we actually used the App it was useless.:mad:

maybe because ur wife turns off the 'find iphone' function so u don't know where she is? D'OH!

I read the OP, fainted, and am now able to type again.
First "Apple - it just works" hahahahahhaha
Second - which form do I need to complete for the lack of consciousness? Is "apple actuality" a disqualifying even for a Third Class medical?

I read the OP, fainted, and am now able to type again.
First "Apple - it just works" hahahahahhaha
Second - which form do I need to complete for the lack of consciousness? Is "apple actuality" a disqualifying even for a Third Class medical?
Delete this post and report your computer virus now.

Find you phone function only works well if it can triangulate with more than one cell tower.

If it was inside a store I don't think it will get more than one tower.

Find you phone function only works well if it can triangulate with more than one cell tower.

If it was inside a store I don't think it will get more than one tower.
I think it works from WiFi as well, if the WiFi is in Apple's database. You don't need to connect to it, nor do you even need permission to use any particular WiFi connection. I have an iPad, network only (which means no GPS inside) where find my phone works. And you'd be surprised at what is in Apple's database too.

Apple's "Location Services" uses a number of different things to get an estimate of the phone's location. GPS, Assisted GPS, WiFi georeferenced databases ("it can hear McDonalds number #5297") etc.

It's likely they stuffed the thing in a metal drawer or locker when they found it, and therefore it couldn't hear squat in its little makeshift Faraday cage.

Unlikely that any other phone stuffed in there would know where it was, either.

We had some fun with location services for a while. I moved from WI to IL... over 350miles. We have no cell signal at our new house and for the first 6mo or so anyone who came over would have their device thinking we were still at the old house 350+mi away. It was all because I moved my router, they keep a database of gps position cross referenced with wifi access points as one of the ways to find a location. Took it a while to self-correct.

Back