Call me a Mooniac!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Today started out as just another day. Drop a load, and wait for dispatch to tell me what my fate is.

But, what's this... Go pick up a load in Lancaster, PA, not due back in Wausau, WI until Monday? Hmmm, this day could be a good one after all.

*ring* "Hi, Ed? Kent Shook calling. I'm in Lancaster... (snip) See you at 4 then! Bye!"

Yup, today was the day I finally got to take a ride in Ed Guthrie's Mooney 201. Must have been extra-good luck, as my current trainee is a student pilot as well so he thinks going along on my various flying adventures is great fun. So, we dropped our trailer at a small truck stop a couple miles away and bobtailed to S37. Since we got there early, we took the time to admire an Aerostar on the ramp and watch an older Mooney land and take off again before Ed came rolling up on a bright yellow motorcycle. (I bet his son gets all the coolest toys... ;-)

After Ed pulled the bird out of the hangar and filled the tires, I crawled into the left seat. Wow! This has got to be THE bird for us tall folks. It was like taking a Cherokee and moving the rudder pedals back (towards the nose, that is) about 18 inches. In any other plane, I have to carefully choose my seat position so that I'm close enough to reach the controls but far enough to keep my legs down out of the way of the yoke. In the Mooney, I had my legs extended and I was in just the right position to reach everything. VERY comfortable.

Another welcome change is that the yoke moves only about 45 degrees either side of center to the stops. That makes it very easy to truly get full travel out of the controls without my legs getting in the way, and makes for a crisp, sporty feel.

After taking a few minutes to review the checklists and find all the controls, we fired up the engine and taxied out to the runway, a trip that's all of about 30 yards from Ed's hangar. The Mooney doesn't steer quite as tightly as a lot of planes, but it was more than sufficient even on the tiny taxiways at Smoketown.

The runup is similar to most other planes in its class - 2000 RPM, mag check, prop, annunciators, etc. It seemed smoother than I'm used to, though. I don't know if that was due to a different engine mount, different wing, or what.

We quickly briefed the takeoff - Rotation speed is supposedly 71 mph, but the plane wants to fly earlier than that, so when it starts getting antsy and jumping around, a light pull gets it right off the ground. Half flaps are used for takeoff; Vy is 83 and the gear must be retracted by 115. After retraction, climb at 25 squared and 101 mph resulted in a respectable 700 fpm or so. It seemed to take a lot longer than "normal" to get to 3,000 MSL, but that's because I'm used to getting about a 600-foot head start in comparison!

After our climbout to the east, we turned to the southeast and then southwest. I enjoyed the scenery for a bit - It's different than I'm used to, with a lot fewer lakes. It also kind of looks like someone took the farmland and scattered random buildings all over, rather than the cities and towns being well-defined. Very pretty in a different way than I'm used to. It was at some point during this time that Ed gave me one of the best compliments on my flying I've gotten in a long time: "I was under the impression that you were a low-time pilot." (I am, with just a hair under 150 hours after the flight. :)

I dirtied up the bird to do some slow flight. "Mushy" controls on the Mooney feel not unlike your average brand C or brand P bird in normal flight! As a result, I really didn't feel the stall coming, and the left wing decided to stop flying. Ed put in a legful of right rudder to help me correct before telling me an interesting story about getting into a spin during CFI training.

By this time we were in view of the Chesapeake to the south and Wilmington, DE to the east, so we turned back to the northwest to go into LNS for some touch and go's. Gear down below 155, slow to the white arc, add half flaps, keep slowing down, turn final, add the rest of the flaps, and maintain 80 knots all the way down. I had a great landing. Ed assisted on the go, as the Mooney requires some extra attention during the go - For instance, the flaps can't be retracted with one quick motion like on a Cessna (slap the handle up) or a Piper (release the "emergency brake"). The Mooney's flap control is a switch with three positions. The neutral position where the flaps do not move, the "up" position where they will retract all the way (detent keeps the switch in "up") and the "down" position, which you must hold. Since the Mooney uses half flaps for takeoff, you either have to select "up" and monitor the flap indicator and stop the retraction, or let the flaps go full up and hold "down" while monitoring the indicator. I'm sure with practice one could get used to it, but I would not have been able to do touch and go's without Ed's assistance.

After the go, we were switched around to runway 13. Lots of traffic in the pattern today, and the tower controller was quite busy and I had to ask him for landing clearance on final. Another pretty good landing this time. The third time around we were cleared only for a low approach, but we got to watch a jet depart runway 8 underneath us. Cool! Finally, one more good landing at LNS and we headed back to S37.

Ed was originally going to do the landing back at S37 (2400 ft. runway) but apparently felt confident enough after my other landings to let me do it. (Daring soul, he is!) S37 has some obstructions in the approach path, and Ed had me go for 78 on the approach. I had a bit of trouble nailing that speed, varying between 76 and 80 most of the way down. As a result, my landing wasn't as sweet as the other three. I plunked it down early into the flare, but it actually ended up working quite well, putting the wheels down pretty much on the numbers. I didn't even have to get on the brakes much to make a turnoff about 2/3 of the way down the runway (1600 feet?) so I was still pretty happy with it.

Overall, I got two big impressions: The Mooney is a nice, comfortable, fast bird; and Ed is a heck of a nice guy. I had an excellent time! Thanks Ed! :)

Unfortunately, Ed had to leave as soon as we got back so I didn't get a good shot of us with the plane... Y'all will just have to settle for the one pic of the two of us that my trainee took in flight.

Attachments

• DSCN1606.jpg
    DSCN1606.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1615.jpg
    DSCN1615.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1617.jpg
    DSCN1617.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1621.jpg
    DSCN1621.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1635.jpg
    DSCN1635.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thanks for posting your photos, Kent. Ed's a great guy. I am glad you had fun.

I'm always glad to hear about another Mooney convert! (Good pictures too.) There have got to be more OWTs about Mooneys than the Cs and Ps. I'm sure Kent's post will help dispel those to some non believers out there.

If I ever give up my Tiger it will be for a M20J/201. Nice report.

Its been far too long since I've seen that view out the window over my mooney's wing....sniff....far too long:(

Anyway, I think that squirrily feeling during your take off roll is you wheel barreling up onto the nose gear. As you start your roll, keep the yolk about 3/4 of the way back. As you reach flying speed the nose will pop up some and then you just lower it to the horizon. That is what my manual says for my m20 e and it works well. You dont keep the plane on the ground and then rotate when you think she's ready to go, you keep almost full rear yolk and drop the nose some after it pops. In my e you need to be prepared to make a significant stab at the right rudder when that nose pops. The longer body j may not be as bad in that regard.
Pete

Even though I don't have a PPL or enough money to buy an airplane, I'm a convert too. Call me a Mooniac.... PLEASE!!

Dear Capt. Crash'n'Burn, I hereby appoint thee an official and loyal Mooniac.

Holy necro, Batman! I was thinking, "when did Kent start training again?"

And I was wondering what pictures people were talking about. The links must be gone.

last year or so, PoA cleared off all the pictures that were attached to posts older than a couple years (unsure of the time limit)

last year or so, PoA cleared off all the pictures that were attached to posts older than a couple years (unsure of the time limit)
No, I think you just took off Mooney pictures.

No attachments have been deleted since I took over hosting in Feb of 2008. Personally I feel that the attachments are as valuable as the posts and have no intention of ever deleting them.

And I was wondering what pictures people were talking about. The links must be gone.

No, I think you just took off Mooney pictures.

It was longer ago than that - Sometime in 07 I think. But, I just went into iPhoto and dug up the pictures from that flight and added them back on to the original post. Now Lance has some Mooney pictures to look at again. ;)

Enjoy!

You will be, till you fly a Comanche. :p

Now Ed, just because you have a nice airplane, does not mean all other airplanes suck. :nono:

In comparison - The Mooney is definitely a tall person's airplane. Al Mooney was 6 foot 5, and he built himself an airplane with a LOT of legroom. However, it's similar to a Cherokee in its other dimensions.

The Comanche has a nice big wide comfy cabin, one of the widest in the 4-seat GA fleet. I'm sure the back seat is more comfortable than many of the Mooneys too, especially the early ones.

If you're going for pure efficiency, the Mooney is great - 155 knots on 10-11 gph. I'd expect more like 13-14 gph at the same speed on a Comanche (250 or 260, vs. 200 on the Mooney). However, the Comanche should carry more of a load and climb faster.

The Mooney has a sportier feel to it - Not because there's anything majorly different about the airplane, but because it's rigged with full aileron travel only being 45 degrees to either side of center on the yoke instead of 90 like most airplanes.

Note here that I'm comparing the Mooney M20J/201 and the Comanche 250. Both lines had several different options available in terms of power, speed, etc. The Comanche can be had with 180, 250, 260, or 400 hp engines, or even as a twin with 160hp or 200hp per side. The Mooney came in many variants - short (ie M20C), medium (ie M20J) or long (ie M20R) body, 180 to 300hp, etc. So there's something for everyone, no matter which you choose. :yes:

Were it my money, with the choice between the two, I'd buy the Comanche - But a lot of that is because you can get a much better bargain on a Comanche than a Mooney.

Dear Capt. Crash'n'Burn, I hereby appoint thee an official and loyal Mooniac.

I want to be one too...Can you appoint me?
(..and I hope to remain loyal even after my first promised ride in another pilot's C model)

Back