Call it off?

blazer003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Checkride, or no checkride? My CFI gets home tonight or tomorrow morning, and I haven't been able to contact him. We've already checked everything off and my checkride is scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday) and the temp here in Oregon at 10 a.m. is scheduled to be an unseasonably cold 20 degrees (F) with clear skies, becoming broken at 10,000 by 1:00 p.m. A relative humidity of 70% and a dewpoint of 17, with the spread getting wider as the day heats up and the dewpoint drops. Here's what I'm looking at.

(EDIT - Well it's changed since I was looking at it 15 minutes ago. Now looking even more iffy.)

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KUAO&state=OR

Ultimately my CFI and I will make the call, but just curious, until I get a hold of him, what you guys think. If you looked at the weather and were scheduled to fly VFR in a plane not equipped for icing conditions, would you go? Should I keep planning on taking it tomorrow? Are these borderline icing conditions? I'm just too new, but if you guys say, no way. Those are very sketchy, I'll call up the examiner and reschedule, and not wait for my CFI (I figure more heads up the better for the examiner.) Also, keep in mind, I have no experience flying in weather below 40 to this point as everything has been this summer and fall.

Thanks guys!

-Matt

... (Tuesday) and the temp here in Oregon at 10 a.m. is scheduled to be an unseasonably cold 20 degrees (F) with clear skies, becoming broken at 10,000 by 1:00 p.m. A relative humidity of 70% and a dewpoint of 17, with the spread getting wider as the day heats up and the dewpoint drops. Here's what I'm looking at.

Looks like a nice VFR day to me. No low clouds. No precip. Where would you pick up ice?

Relax.

I see nothing there to justify calling-off a checkride, especially the day before. Make the call tomorrow, when the weather is more certain. I bet you'll be just fine.

As for flying when it's cold, as long as you have no trouble getting started, it's the same.

Icing only occurs in visible moisture. If you're not flying through rain/snow/clouds, you don't get icing.

Carb icing is different, but you've got carb heat for that.

You can at least get the oral out of the way and get a continuation if need be. Chances are you'll be good though.

I'd say plan to go, unless conditions are not good tomorrow. Finish the oral, at least.

I'd say plan to go, unless conditions are not good tomorrow. Finish the oral, at least.

This. My checkride was split into two parts, and the flying part just seemed so much more relaxed because it was the day after, it wasn't the first I was talking to the DE anymore, etc.

Thanks guys. Got a hold of my CFI and he said it looks like a go. I guess I'm just being paranoid. Just never flown in cold weather. This morning went back and reviewed my cold weather flying information. Had forgotten the part that said that visible moisture was needed for structural icing. Was thinking just high humidity could be a problem. Just got to make sure and remember the carb heat. Planes new, and hangered, but going to go out and put a space heater under the engine tonight just to make sure she's a happy girl in the morning. Going to go up for a quick flight in the morning if time allows. Meeting the Examiner at noon.

BTW, it's my private pilot checkride. Wish me luck.

Good luck! If your aircraft has carb heat, just use as directed in the POH, and you're good to go! Cold weather flying is fun--I love the climb rates I get!

Thanks guys. Got a hold of my CFI and he said it looks like a go. I guess I'm just being paranoid. Just never flown in cold weather. This morning went back and reviewed my cold weather flying information. Had forgotten the part that said that visible moisture was needed for structural icing. Was thinking just high humidity could be a problem. Just got to make sure and remember the carb heat. Planes new, and hangered, but going to go out and put a space heater under the engine tonight just to make sure she's a happy girl in the morning. Going to go up for a quick flight in the morning if time allows. Meeting the Examiner at noon.

You'll have no problems with that weather forecast. Looks like a great VFR day here in the PNW.

Good luck! If your aircraft has carb heat, just use as directed in the POH, and you're good to go! Cold weather flying is fun--I love the climb rates I get!

Airplanes love cold weather. Have fun!

Sounds like a little more review may be in order with your CFI tonight.

Matt,

I agree with all the other posters that it looks like a very good day to go flying. No problems with the weather that I can see. What airplane are you flying?

Good luck on your checkride and let us know how it goes.

Be Well,

Jimmy

Thanks guys. Got a hold of my CFI and he said it looks like a go. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

Check ride jitters?

Just never flown in cold weather.
Cold? I thought it was supposed to be up in the 20's (F)...

Luck.

Relax.

Matt,

I agree with all the other posters that it looks like a very good day to go flying. No problems with the weather that I can see. What airplane are you flying?

Good luck on your checkride and let us know how it goes.

Be Well,

Jimmy
He flies a Symphony.

And Matt, have a good flight with the examiner!

Cold weather??? You think +20°F is cold? That's almost too warm to need pre-heat.

And speaking of pre-heat, is the plane kept in a heated hangar? If not you might ask to have it there when you arrive so you can do your pre-flight in comfort (no hurrying).

Sounds like a little more review may be in order with your CFI tonight.

Yep, we're getting together this evening. And yes, the checkride is tomorrow (if the forecast holds up, you never know. It could be snowing.)

And for the Willamette Valley here in Oregon, 20 is just about the coldest it gets on anything that would be called a regular basis. Every 5 years or so it will dip to the teens.

I'm not really nervous, but I'm also trying to make sure that I'm prepared for everything ahead of time, so there's nothing that's going to make me nervous, and seeing ice build up on the wing would definitely make me nervous (and the examiner too.)

This. My checkride was split into two parts, and the flying part just seemed so much more relaxed because it was the day after, it wasn't the first I was talking to the DE anymore, etc.

Concur - I had a similar experience with my IR ride (discovered a fuel leak on the gascolator the morning of the ride). Went ahead and knocked the oral out and rescheduled the flight test for a week later. I was so much more relaxed for the actual flying portion.

Never flown in cold weather simply means you have been efficient and your training has not dragged through a winter. Just make sure the bird is preheated so you really do know it'll start.

The lift will amaze you.

Yep, we're getting together this evening. And yes, the checkride is tomorrow (if the forecast holds up, you never know. It could be snowing.)

And for the Willamette Valley here in Oregon, 20 is just about the coldest it gets on anything that would be called a regular basis. Every 5 years or so it will dip to the teens.

I'm not really nervous, but I'm also trying to make sure that I'm prepared for everything ahead of time, so there's nothing that's going to make me nervous, and seeing ice build up on the wing would definitely make me nervous (and the examiner too.)

That is a disadvantage to living in a (mostly) single climate area. You don't necessarily get first hand experience with things - like the guys that do all their instrument training in Arizona and never actually fly in any clouds. Have fun with the plane jumping off the runway. :)

I was in a similar situation to you this time last year. Actually, the day of my checkride was a little bit cold, but no snow. My first experience with actual snow on the ground and temperatures cold enough to make engine starts interesting was the next week when the DPE and I and some others flew to MA for breakfast. I was a proud pilot-in-command, even though I had several passengers. Good luck!

It's always worse waiting to hear about someone else's checkride than preparing for/flying your own! MATT... How did it go??!!

Sorry guys, right after the checkride (which did go) I was off for the holidays and hadn't had a chance to update, but...

I'm now posting as a proud member of the licensed pilots club.

Checkride went great. Flew through some snow flurries along the way, and had a bit of trouble getting the plane started (Luckily I went out before the test to get a quick flight in). I was worried about flooding the engine so I only primed it one extra time. The operator of the FBO then said prime it twice as much and it started right up.

The examiner was really nice and laid back, but did call me on a couple little things I did wrong.

But overall I was confident and everything was great and he said I passed with flying colors!

Thanks for all your advice and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Congrats, but at some point we'd love to have a full writeup!

Hooray! Debriefing (your description of the checkride) requested at your earliest convenience!

Woo hoo! Congratulations! Really gave you something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! Like the others, would like a writeup!

Congrats! Remember - "License to Learn".

Your DPE sounds a lot better than mine. Mine was an old man who acted like he didn't want to be there. He was rude and just liked to "bark". He didn't even say if i passed or failed. We landed after, and he just got out and walked in to the FBO and started filling out the temporary airmen certificate. I hear he is like that all the time though.

Glad yours went so well! :cornut:

Back