Calamity at Air Show

I was at the Minot AFB "Northern Neighbors Day" air show last fall and they did a demonstration of helicopter-borne security forces retaking a Humvee from hijackers. Their practice munitions started a grass fire next to the runway, which required a very realistic demonstration of their fire trucks. Then they had to refill the water truck before the actual air show could continue. Fortunately, the grass fire was contained to the grass and no people or vehicles were damaged. It looks like India didn't have the same level of fire readiness as the US Air Force.

I was at the Minot AFB "Northern Neighbors Day" air show last fall and they did a demonstration of helicopter-borne security forces retaking a Humvee from hijackers. Their practice munitions started a grass fire next to the runway, which required a very realistic demonstration of their fire trucks. Then they had to refill the water truck before the actual air show could continue. Fortunately, the grass fire was contained to the grass and no people or vehicles were damaged. It looks like India didn't have the same level of fire readiness as the US Air Force.
Yeah, I've seen a little too much fire at both Osh and Dayton Air Show, but they quickly contained it.

Diddnt that happen at sun and fun one year? I seen to remember a bunch of cars burning from a grass fire either there or oshkosh a few years back.

Fortunately, the grass fire was contained to the grass and no people or vehicles were damaged. It looks like India didn't have the same level of fire readiness as the US Air Force.

After what happened to Eddie Andreini, I wouldn't be too quick to tout the USAFs performance in air show fire protection.

Diddnt that happen at sun and fun one year? I seen to remember a bunch of cars burning from a grass fire either there or oshkosh a few years back.
Yup...It was SunNFun, back when they broke off from EAA and were being a bit frugal, they didn't cut the grass in the parking lot. An expensive (forget what) very low to the ground sports car started it after parking via a hot catalytic converter.

Neighbor's kid takes girlfriend to a remote field for a picnic.... there was a fire in the tall grass but it was the catalytic converter not the passion...

Yup...It was SunNFun, back when they broke off from EAA and were being a bit frugal, they didn't cut the grass in the parking lot. An expensive (forget what) very low to the ground sports car started it after parking via a hot catalytic converter.

The car was a Maserati, IIRC. That little fire torched a handful of cars - 5 or so. The black plume of smoke was a bit scary to see from the show grounds. Everyone's first thought was there had been a plane crash.

Grass fires are not uncommon. When I was in the aero club at APG we'd have C130's come down from and drop flares and then do equipment drops. They'd often set the field on fire. There's been grass fires at Oshkosh from the Pyro during the airshow.

Did the Fat Albert JATO ride back in 96 and the bottles caught the grass on fire next to the runway. Closed the show for a bit while CFR put it out.

Grass fires pretty common at shows but 300 cars?! :eek:

At the 2017 Confederate Air Force show held at KRBD, there were multiple grass fires between the runway and taxiways after the "Tora, Tora, Tora" mock bombing runs.

I didn't pay much attention, because I was in line to talk to Dick Cole. I think they went out unassisted.

Back