Caitlyn Jenner, Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine the pure hell this poor soul has gone through in life. What if you woke up one day and realized you were in the wrong body.

Happens every morning for me. I realize that I should have been born rich. Really, stinking filthy rich. Thankfully, though, I was born devastatingly handsome, yet humble. I'm thinking of having financial reassignment surgery. I'm going to be a class crosser. ;)

I'm pretty sure Jenner is ok with the attention garnered from all of the gender hype or else Jenner would have kept it very private. Having a tv show about it is akin to painting a big target on your back.

Dunno. Maybe he, she, hasn't had to renew yet? Maybe he saw the AME before he became a she?

Well, Jenner is old enough to need a medical every 2 years. Besides, wouldn't TPFKABJ have to report the surgeries?

Last edited:
Good God. . .my knee jerk was AOPA was pandering to the PC community - you know, the one where we're suppose to be open and have freedom of expression? As long as we don't have a different view point? Nothing so intolerant as a committed liberal. . .

But, geez, (pick your personal pronoun) Jenner has probably been through hell, over multiple decades - I don't know the psychology or biology of it, but that's gotta be a rough road to travel.

And AOPA goes the PC and sleaze route, to garner some notice and points, using Jenner's situation.

Reference?

I've seen "they" for that purpose, and have even used it myself. Once I was soundly chastised by a friend who insists they is exclusively plural, and unsuitable for referring to a single person.

I've seen "ze", "sie" and other variants as well. Trouble is, they're not standard English and don't seem to have caught on outside of LGBT circles.

So I really don't know, I'm just going by my 50-some-odd year-old education in basic English. :)

Swan, Michael (2009). Practical English Usage (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-194-42098-3.

Rich

It seems the article got a few of us to actually open the magazine, thereby seeing some of the ads. Which is one of the main reasons the mag exists.

So, I guess the editors succeeded in achieving one of their major objectives. Good job editors!

Controversy sells.

Except that it's the Internet age and we all heard about it here and have no plans to pick up the dead tree edition to look at it.

So it didn't "sell". It just got talked about elsewhere.

Magazines are as dead as newspapers.

Reference?

I've seen "they" for that purpose, and have even used it myself. Once I was soundly chastised by a friend who insists they is exclusively plural, and unsuitable for referring to a single person.

I've seen "ze", "sie" and other variants as well. Trouble is, they're not standard English and don't seem to have caught on outside of LGBT circles.

So I really don't know, I'm just going by my 50-some-odd year-old education in basic English. :)
I recently took an online writing class and learned that there is controversy over using "they" for a single person. As you mentioned, "ze" and "sie" have been tried but have not caught on. It may take a while. Remember when "Ms" sounded strange? Now "Miss" seems antiquated. I also don't see it as an LGBT issue. I find myself frequently wondering whether to use "they", "he/she" or "he or she" when referring to a poster on this board.

Last edited:
You all should've grown up in the St. Louis area. We have a non-gender specific word: Guy.

Addressing a group as "guys" is the norm regardless of the gender mix.

"Do you guys want to go grab a beer?"

You all should've grown up in the St. Louis area. We have a non-gender specific word: Guy.

Addressing a group as "guys" is the norm regardless of the gender mix.

"Do you guys want to go grab a beer?"
I have no problem using "guy" as non gender specific. "Gentlemen" is another thing.

Bullying is the new liberal word to throw about whenever someone has a different opinion than you. Personally I could care less what this guy (sorry his DNA didn't change) does to his own body or how he chooses to live really is none of my business. The AOPA jumping on the PC bandwagon just confirms my decision not to join the AOPA. They are an irrelevant organization trying to be relevant.

Quite honestly I would rather read a magazine featuring everyday folks and their pilot journey than some celebrity who can afford to do whatever the hec they want. Most of you characters are far more interesting to me than Jenner.

Swan, Michael (2009). Practical English Usage (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-194-42098-3.

Rich
Thanks. I'm not having much luck downloading the pdf and I don't have access to the print version, so I'll take your word for it. Interesting, I wonder if "loose" will soon be acceptable as a variant form of "lose", and "it's" as the possessive of "it"? Maybe they already are... gosh I feel old! :(

I recently took an online writing class and learned that there is controversy over using "they" for a single person. As you mentioned, "ze" and "sie" have been tried but have not caught on. It may take a while. Remember when "Ms" sounded strange? Now "Miss" seems antiquated. I also don't see it as an LGBT issue. I find myself frequently wondering whether to use "they", "he/she" or "he or she" when referring to a poster on this board.
Thanks for restoring my faith in English as a conservative language! That's as it should be, I found my friend's argument compelling and haven't used "they" since. If forced, I tend to use "s/he" though even that feels forced and pedantic, and of course works only in writing...

Last edited:
Well, Jenner is old enough to need a medical every 2 years. Besides, wouldn't TPFKABJ have to report the surgeries?

Two years, but I don't know when he changed.

Not sure there were any surgeries (like removing the naughty bits.) I think there were cosmetic, facial, surgeries though. Hormone treatments, for sure.

FAA does seem to have a way through it as long as you've seen a shrink.

Thanks for restoring my faith in English as a conservative language! That's as it should be, I found my friend's argument compelling and haven't used "they" since. If forced, I tend to use "s/he" though even that feels forced and pedantic, and of course works only in writing...

How would you refer to a gender unknown? For example, on this board we may only know a person as Pat, Chris, Jordan, Terry, Sam, Jesse, Tristan, Tracy, Kim, Lynn, etc...and based only on a name we have no idea if they are male or female. So when referring to them with a pronoun so we don't say any one of those name over and over and over is it OK to say "they said" or "they went" or "they bought" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Anyone who is offended over the use of they needs to take a chill pill.

Last edited:
Moreover...

Anyone who believes that the American bastardized version of the Queen's English is in any way proper is smokin' dope.

I get a kick out of people who disparage the language of our youth and/or minorities. Like we have any room to talk considering how thoroughly we've destroyed our "language."

Former Olympic athlete who's also a pilot...why is this *not* worth having an AOPA article on? Even if you are turned off by the last few years of his life, is Bruce Jenner's story not inspiring? If the article was about Michael Phelps being a pilot instead, would folks still complain? If not, why not?

:yeahthat:

I would 'complain' about articles on any of the reality "stars." I wouldn't care if it was anyone from the cast of Jersey Shore, the Kardashians, a real Housewife of Trailerville, or anyone else that can't stand to be out of the spotlight. There are people on this board that are way more worthy of being the subject of an AOPA article, than this attention craving whatever. Heck, we even have a transgender pilot on this board that I and a few others here have met. I don't recall that person being the subject of an AOPA article.

Two years, but I don't know when he changed.

Not sure there were any surgeries (like removing the naughty bits.) I think there were cosmetic, facial, surgeries though. Hormone treatments, for sure.

FAA does seem to have a way through it as long as you've seen a shrink.

There's really no relevance of gender reassignment to flying other than the medical effects of the hormones or the recovery from the surgery (if any). It seems to me that FAA wants to make sure the person's not psychotic, delusional, suicidal, or whatever, in addition to being gender dysphoric.

I personally think the majority of supposedly TG people are delusional. There really are no good data because even scientific questioning of people's self-assigned genders is taboo these days. I suspect that only a very small fraction of gender dysphoria cases have even a hint of an identifiable organic cause. But we're not allowed to question that. If a man declares himself to be a woman (or vice-versa), we just have to accept it without question.

Nonetheless, I don't think being (nor claiming to be) TG have anything to do with whether or not these folks are fit to fly unless there are other associated problems; so in this case I find myself peculiarly in agreement with FAA medical policies (which I usually consider rather byzantine, at least as they pertain to Third Class).

Then again, I wouldn't necessarily consider someone who believed himself to be General Patton, or Alexander the Great, or Porky Pig, or Porky Pig stuck in Petunia Pig's body, to necessarily be unfit to fly. To me, such a person would be no more delusional than are most self-proclaimed TG people. If Porky's delusions about his identity don't affect his ability to fly safely, then I say let him go for it.

Rich

How would you refer to a gender unknown? For example, on this board we may only know a person as Pat, Chris, Jordan, Terry, Sam, Jesse, Tristan, Tracy, Kim, Lynn, etc...and based only on a name we have no idea if they are male or female. So when referring to them with a pronoun so we don't say any one of those name over and over and over is it OK to say "they said" or "they went" or "they bought" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Anyone who is offended over the use of they needs to take a chill pill.
I dont think anyone is offended by the use of "they" in a singular context, it's just that it may take some time for it to sound less awkward and to be accepted in more formal writing.

That's a nice discussion of the problem, but if you read the whole article, you'd see that many sources still disapprove of the plural "they", especially on this side of the Atlantic. It's not a settled issue by any means, though I agree that it will probably be considered acceptable by everyone, eventually.

Until then the best solution is probably to avoid constructions that require a pronoun when the gender isn't definite.

Personally, I'll probably use "they" once in a while... but never again in front of the friend who REALLY doesn't like it.

That's a nice discussion of the problem, but if you read the whole article, you'd see that many sources still disapprove of the plural "they", especially on this side of the Atlantic. It's not a settled issue by any means, though I agree that it will probably be considered acceptable by everyone, eventually.

Until then the best solution is probably to avoid constructions that require a pronoun when the gender isn't definite.

Personally, I'll probably use "they" once in a while... but never again in front of the friend who REALLY doesn't like it.
If I'm guessing correctly, you come from an academic environment where the use of "they" as a singular might be less accepted in writing.

I dont think anyone is offended by the use of "they" in a singular context, it's just that it may take some time for it to sound less awkward and to be accepted in more formal writing.

I was under the impression that Azure's friend was offended by the use of the term "they." If that is the case, I put them in the same category as women that refuse to accept the term "women" or woman" and insist on it being spelled "womyn" or some other variant that makes sure that "man" is not in any part of the term they are addressed as because it is so offensive to them. People like that aren't happy unless they are unhappy. Now it may be the case that is not the reason Azure's friend doesn't like the term they, but that's the first impression I get. I have no issue if someone refers to me as a "they" even if that person knows I am male.

I was under the impression that Azure's friend was offended by the use of the term "they." If that is the case, I put them in the same category as women that refuse to accept the term "women" or woman" and insist on it being spelled "womyn" or some other variant that makes sure that "man" is not in any part of the term they are addressed as because it is so offensive to them. People like that aren't happy unless they are unhappy. Now it may be the case that is not the reason Azure's friend doesn't like the term they, but that's the first impression I get. I have no issue if someone refers to me as a "they" even if that person knows I am male.
Not really, she is just old school. She's a couple years older than me and learned from the same books (or similar books) as I did when I was little.

And yes Mari, I'm an academic but not in the English department. ;) I'm not particularly bothered by the singular "they" since it's a solution, if an awkward one, to an inherent deficiency in the language. There don't seem to be good alternatives in SPOKEN English (except for avoiding the need for a neuter pronoun altogether, which sometimes takes a little thought and can be cumbersome in speech), unlike in writing.

"Loose" and "it's", on the other hand... grrr...

I was under the impression that Azure's friend was offended by the use of the term "they." If that is the case, I put them in the same category as women that refuse to accept the term "women" or woman" and insist on it being spelled "womyn" or some other variant <snip>

I don't think that's a very applicable parallel to draw, Ed. "They" has always been plural. Those who are offended by its use as a non-gender specific singular pronoun are likely so because it's awkward to use it in a singular context. Hell, I find it awkward and I hate English.

As I've always said...English is my second language. Too bad I don't have a first! ;)

he, she, it - singular

him, her, it - singular

they, them - plural

And that's what I remember from English class.

Happens every morning for me. I realize that I should have been born rich. Really, stinking filthy rich. Thankfully, though, I was born devastatingly handsome, yet humble. I'm thinking of having financial reassignment surgery. I'm going to be a class crosser. ;)

I'm pretty sure Jenner is ok with the attention garnered from all of the gender hype or else Jenner would have kept it very private. Having a tv show about it is akin to painting a big target on your back.

LOL I was gonna say something similar...

lemme put this right chair.....
sf2b.png

I will admit to having a bad attitude toward gender reassignment, but when someone tried to get Jenner's Olympic medals revoked, that just struck me as petty. As for people who object to AOPA's publishing articles about famous people who are pilots, that seems a little less petty, but I can think of a lot more important things to criticize the organization for.

"Loose" and "it's", on the other hand... grrr...

You're referring to the days of yore, when your issue wasn't an issue because people learned things in school. Too often there is a proclivity to use one of two homonyms when they're available, even though their meanings are different. ;) You need to let loose of your grammatical nuisances before you lose your mind. It's not worth its trouble.

By the way, "they" is now considered proper to refer to an individual human whose gender is unknown.
I like to use the term 'You people', that really lets them know you recognize the entire group and accept them!

Call me old fashion but I don't 'accept' dudes that dress like ladies as Females, or girls that dress like Justin Bieber as men. Gender assignment is a genetic trait based on a particular chromosome set. You can get all the plastic surgery you want turning your inny to an outtie or vice versa but that doesn't define your gender. Changing your appearance to match society's interpretation doesn't define you as a male or female either. It comes down to science....

Now does this make me a bully or does it make someone trying to force me to 'accept' something a bully? Seems public shaming people until they break and show acceptance is the trend...

Might be hard to believe, but I can have the above beliefs without being an asshat to a guy like Caitlyn Jenner. I just don't care enough....

I like to use the term 'You people', that really lets them know you recognize the entire group and accept them!

Call me old fashion but I don't 'accept' dudes that dress like ladies as Females, or girls that dress like Justin Bieber as men. Gender assignment is a genetic trait based on a particular chromosome set. You can get all the plastic surgery you want turning your inny to an outtie or vice versa but that doesn't define your gender. Changing your appearance to match society's interpretation doesn't define you as a male or female either. It comes down to science....

Now does this make me a bully or does it make someone trying to force me to 'accept' something a bully? Seems public shaming people until they break and show acceptance is the trend...

Might be hard to believe, but I can have the above beliefs without being an asshat to a guy like Caitlyn Jenner. I just don't care enough....

There are some known organic factors that come into play in some cases, usually involving neuroanatomical, neurophysiological, or hormonal anomalies. There also are cases of anatomical ambiguity, hermaphrodism, and so forth that cloud the distinction between male and female. And I'm sure there are medical factors that we don't yet understand. It's not as cut-and-dry as we might hope.

I do think, however, that it's become something of a bizarre fad in recent years, not terribly unlike people who declare themselves to be gluten-intolerant (but who inexplicably have no problems downing copious amounts of beer, which is basically liquid gluten). The truth is that there are people who suffer from celiac disease and who therefore are gluten intolerant. But there also are people who are just looking for attention, sympathy, and special treatment.

Rich

There are some known organic factors that come into play in some cases, usually involving neuroanatomical, neurophysiological, or hormonal anomalies. There also are cases of anatomical ambiguity, hermaphrodism, and so forth that cloud the distinction between male and female. And I'm sure there are medical factors that we don't yet understand. It's not as cut-and-dry as we might hope.

Aware of those but didn't mention those outliers for brevity.

You're referring to the days of yore, when your issue wasn't an issue because people learned things in school. Too often there is a proclivity to use one of two homonyms when they're available, even though their meanings are different. ;) You need to let loose of your grammatical nuisances before you lose your mind. It's not worth its trouble.
Oh, I don't go around picking fights with people online over it, but it does rankle. I could accept that it was a case of poor schooling if it weren't for the fact that some very educated people make those spelling errors consistently (and I do consider them more a case of spelling errors than of mistakenly using a homonym, as I doubt people who write "loose" pronounce it that way). The other day I saw "it's" in a piece of science reporting. What's the world coming to?

(No, of course I'm being tongue in cheek with that - it bothers me personally but it ain't the death of the English language. Not yet, anyway.)

I do think, however, that it's become something of a bizarre fad in recent years, not terribly unlike people who declare themselves to be gluten-intolerant (but who inexplicably have no problems downing copious amounts of beer, which is basically liquid gluten). The truth is that there are people who suffer from celiac disease and who therefore are gluten intolerant. But there also are people who are just looking for attention, sympathy, and special treatment.
Well people who think they're gluten intolerant but have no trouble with beer are fooling themselves, but it's worth pointing out that some, perhaps most, GI specialists now take seriously the idea of non-celiac gluten intolerance. It's still in the realm of speculation last I checked, but there may well be two or more different mechanisms for gluten intolerance, of which celiac disease is only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back