CAF Red Tail P-51 Gear Up at RBD

CAF eh? Was it a qualified pilot or an old boy connected pilot?:lol: Kidding it doesn't work that way, only the finest human specimens are allowed to fly the good stuff.:rolleyes:

Man, that is one unlucky aircraft.

I don't know the gear system on the P-51C, but I see the tail gear is down, was this a gear-up or a gear-fold?

Hate to see rare warbirds get pranged (or worse). This one might be karma for moving the CAF from MAF to RBD.

Sad to see this plane on its belly...:sad::sad:...

From the news article

"Shepard was landing back at Dallas Executive for a special event in honor of Black History Month"...

Can anyone tell when WHITE History Month is ..:dunno::dunno:...

We could put them all in museums and avoid this, or keep them flying and have occasional incidents. I'd rather see them flying.

Sad to see this plane on its belly...:sad::sad:...

From the news article

"Shepard was landing back at Dallas Executive for a special event in honor of Black History Month"...

Can anyone tell when WHITE History Month is ..:dunno::dunno:...

Tasteless.
For real.

I saw it happen. We were talking to RBD ground as the accident occurred. Really sucks. Had plenty of time to think about it since they closed the runway and we shut down to wait.

The dust has barely settled and the Commemorative Air Force is reaching out to a segment that could use some enthusiasm about aviation. I'm really happy they are doing the outreach in South Dallas. The accident sucks, but the effort will go on. Since the accident is already all over the news, here's one of my photos of her. She will fly again I'm sure.

https://www.facebook.com/cafredtailsquadron/posts/967629419984734

Last edited:
Sad sight to see. Looks like it's repairable.love the old planes.

Dang. I have some great video from inside those exact plane flown by this exact pilot. We had him and the red tail trailer come to one of our open houses a couple years back.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I saw it happen. We were talking to RBD ground as the accident occurred. Really sucks. Had plenty of time to think about it since they closed the runway and we shut down to wait.

Did he know he was going to land gear up?

Did he know he was going to land gear up?

I suspect not. He was pretty down when I got to the plane. I really feel bad for him and I know how I would want to be treated if I was in his shoes. That's definitely a risk flying a high profile aircraft.

If you can't figure it out, I won't spell it out.

I only ask because that can be interpreted in several ways...especially given the highlighted text in the post you quoted...So, you'll have to pardon me if I can't read your mind through the internet.

I only ask because that can be interpreted in several ways...especially given the highlighted text in the post you quoted...So, you'll have to pardon me if I can't read your mind through the internet.
The white history month remark was tasteless.

If you can't figure it out, I won't spell it out.

Actually, I see his point re the ambiguity. I didn't read it any other way than how you intended it but I could see it being ambiguous.

I got to know bill while he did our open house. He's a great guy and is a huge fan of the show Duck Dynasty. Anyone who would speak less off him needs to get a grip.

Knowing him and knowing the honor he felt in flying this bird I already know how bad he feels.

Last edited:
I don't really care for the ambiguity in the bickering about white history month.

What I care more for is the ambiguity in the "news" drivel that doesn't say what really happened. The way this useless drivel reads, it could have been either a forgotten gear-down that turned into an emergency or an emergency from inop-gear.

Does anybody have any actual useful information instead of this "journalist" c*ap?

I feel sad for the loss of yet another Mustang but it seems that they are upbeat about it and believe that they can restore it .... again.

There was no emergency declared. We were talking to ground when it happened.

Expecting the press to get the story straight down to gear failure or gear forgotten is only going to lead to disappointment. As to what happened, which is more likely? Plus if it was mechanical you would have heard the gory 'button Z' failed details.
I don't really care for the ambiguity in the bickering about white history month.

What I care more for is the ambiguity in the "news" drivel that doesn't say what really happened. The way this useless drivel reads, it could have been either a forgotten gear-down that turned into an emergency or an emergency from inop-gear.

Does anybody have any actual useful information instead of this "journalist" c*ap?

I feel sad for the loss of yet another Mustang but it seems that they are upbeat about it and believe that they can restore it .... again.

Anyone who would speak less off him needs to get a grip.
Haven't heard anyone trash the pilot on any of the boards I participate on.

There are the usual comments about the CAF, but that is simply due to the unfortunate fact that many still remember the old days of cowboying around in rare airplanes that earned that reputation.

I don't agree with all of the changes, but I do understand where they are coming from and think that the CAF leadership has done a lot to address that reputation.

Iand believe that they can restore it .... again.
They will. We'll just have to see how long it takes.

The Rocky Mountain Wing TBM that had the inadvertent gear retraction on a taxiway 2 years ago still is not back in the air, but that is the problem with an all volunteer work force.

They will. We'll just have to see how long it takes.

The Rocky Mountain Wing TBM that had the inadvertent gear retraction on a taxiway 2 years ago still is not back in the air, but that is the problem with an all volunteer work force.
Note the rear wheel is extended so the gear actuator was DOWN. Just sad to see this overall.

What's the first thing a pilot who lands gear up does after landing? Put the gear switch down!

One of the witnesses said the tailwheel came down after the plane was stopped.

Note the rear wheel is extended so the gear actuator was DOWN. Just sad to see this overall.

What's the first thing a pilot who lands gear up does after landing? Put the gear switch down!

One of the witnesses said the tailwheel came down after the plane was stopped.
That last comment is just painful. Painful.

I think it may have been down as it stopped, but it wasn't down at the 1000' point and the rudder damage looks to back that up. I honestly though I was going to see a low pass when I first saw her on left base as we were taxiing out.

I think it may have been down as it stopped, but it wasn't down at the 1000' point and the rudder damage looks to back that up. I honestly though I was going to see a low pass when I first saw her on left base as we were taxiing out.
Doug Rozendaal (one of the other Red Tail pilots) gave a pretty good explanation over on BeechTalk. Pilot owned up and simply forgot the gear and tried to throw it out as soon as he heard the prop touch the runway, which unfortunately actually made the damage worse, but still repairable.

Doug Rozendaal (one of the other Red Tail pilots) gave a pretty good explanation over on BeechTalk. Pilot owned up and simply forgot the gear and tried to throw it out as soon as he heard the prop touch the runway, which unfortunately actually made the damage worse, but still repairable.

Anything is repairable with a good dataplate and enough dollars.

Man, that would be sad to see, I agree.
Did you have the nagging feeling to key the mike and say "Mustang, check gear down"?

Man, that would be sad to see, I agree.

Did you have the nagging feeling to key the mike and say "Mustang, check gear down"?

I was on the radio talking to ground and there was no time to flip channels and say anything, but yes the thought did occur.

WoW! PoA is faster at causal determination than the NTSB could ever hope for.

Like it is so hard to figure out. Pilot owned up to it, poa was right again. No need to wait for the government to tell you what happened.

Must not be on BeechTalk.

No one here has determined anything. Simply put, when one of the pilots of THAT airplane (who happens to have spoken with the accident pilot) has already openly explained what happened in another forum, there really isn't much for anyone to investigate...

The best way to put rumors to rest is to simply be open and not try to hide anything.

Back