Cable snaps on USS Eisenhower during landing

Maxed-out

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maxed-out
Maximum pucker factor for this E2C Hawkeye crew when the #4 wire snaps. Probably had to surgically remove the seat from the pilot's posterior orifice. As mentioned in one of the comments, the wind over the deck, the 65 ft. drop for acceleration (with engines at full power), ground effect on top of the sea surface, and an incredible job of flying right at the edge of the envelope resulted in a beautiful "fly away." Not all good news though. Eight sailors suffered injuries, including a fractured ankle, wrist, pelvis and legs. One sailor received skull and facial fractures while another suffered a possible traumatic brain injury.

Additional link:

http://pilotonline.com/news/militar...cle_c4675c54-6cdc-5882-867a-68f961145c9d.html

I was in sim training with a former E-2 driver when this video came out a bit more than a month ago.
We had to pretty much have the his seat surgically removed from his posterior orifice after he saw the video.

I read the article and couldn't find the answer to this. Where did the injuries come from? Were they people on the flight deck hit by the cable?

I read the article and couldn't find the answer to this. Where did the injuries come from? Were they people on the flight deck hit by the cable?

Yep!

Actually, in this case the injuries were rather light. I've heard tales of people being cut in half by the cable recoil. It's a lot of energy being cut loose.

Yeah, whip injuries from the broken cable. Lines like that can cut a man in half. Life of the boatswains mate usually.

One other stroke of luck for the aircrew too....they went off the deck less than two seconds before it reached a peak on the pitching....Had they been on the downside, no telling what would have happened.

there is an old vid circulating of a deckhand jumping, timed perfectly to avoid being flailed by a wayward cable.

this is the exact reason I move as quickly as humanly possible to/from the aircraft when on the flight deck. The guys who work there obviously don't have a choice, but it is a very dangerous place, and for a lot of other reasons too.

Back