Cable Lacing Cord

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
I want to make my wire bundles secure and pretty too... and I don't like to use tie-wraps in all places. So I am practicing my cable lacing skills. My question is: why use polyester versus nylon lacing thread? They are both very strong so what's the difference? Thanks in advance for some feedback!

I'm guessing but perhaps stretch? Nylon is stretchy.

Polyster ties a better knot that nylon. That being said, I think its a matter of what you can get your hands on. Waxed cotton flat braid was what we used up until the late '80s (I think).

I bought 3 rolls of Gudbrod Nomex lacing off eBay. Its the best in my opinion. Not at the shop right now. But, I can get you a part# and milspec if you want.

I like the waxed stuff. Slides easily enough to get even tension, and sticks well enough to hold it while you put in the final crossing loop. You can get smaller spools of it off EBay pretty cheap.

I bought 3 rolls of Gudbrod Nomex lacing off eBay. Its the best in my opinion. Not at the shop right now. But, I can get you a part# and milspec if you want.
Thanks to all for the good info... yes, I'll try the Nomex and the part number would be helpful. I'm working on getting the knots to tie securely - takes some practice!

Thanks to all for the good info... yes, I'll try the Nomex and the part number would be helpful. I'm working on getting the knots to tie securely - takes some practice!
Please don't use the Nomex. The waxed cotton works SO well and the knots will NEVER come apart. And, you can seal the ends by cutting off the excess with a hot soldering iron.

Jim

Please don't use the Nomex. The waxed cotton works SO well and the knots will NEVER come apart. And, you can seal the ends by cutting off the excess with a hot soldering iron.

Jim

Why don't you like the Nomex Jim? I first started using it while working at ATS on the Alaska, Southwest, and United lines. It works great if tied properly.

The stuff I'm talking about is Boeing specification BMS 13-54 Type III, Grade D, Finish C, Class I with cross-tracer. Its available in different colors if that matters.

hof40rtr_2_1.jpg

Really appreciate this info! I have a related question: once I have a wire bundle nicely tied, now I want to secure the bundle to a structural component - in my case this would typically be a round tube. Should I tie the bundle tight against the tube or should I wrap the tube with some type of tape (anti-chafe tape or something) such that the bundle is not rubbing directly against the structure? Thanks again to all for the help!

Adel cushion clamps. Doing it correctly is a whole other skill set. If this is for a certified aircraft, you should consult with an A&P. If it’s a home built, it’s possible to use alternative methods with good results. But, I’d be very careful.
2zxwg7m.jpg

Last edited:
Adel cushion clamps. Doing it correctly is a whole other skill set. If this is for a certified aircraft, you should consult with an A&P. If it’s a home built, it’s possible to use alternative methods with good results. But, I’d be very careful.
Thanks for the reference to AC 43.13 - saved me some work finding this chapter! Adel clamps make sense, especially when the clamp can be attached to a bar or a panel with a screw or bolt - clean installation. My fuselage is made up of steel tubes and I certainly don't want to drill holes in them. Guess I should use the "double" Adel clamp approach, where one clamp goes around the structural tube and which in turn provides a through hole attachment point for the clamp that holds the wire bundle (as shown on page 11-54 in the AC 43.13-1B). I was just wondering if there is any approved method that does not involve the use of two Adel clamps?

I was just wondering if there is any approved method that does not involve the use of two Adel clamps?

Weld small tabs on the tube at the proper locations, drill, and mount Adel clamp to those.

The stuff I'm talking about is Boeing specification BMS 13-54 Type III, Grade D, Finish C, Class I with cross-tracer. Its available in different colors if that matters.

hof40rtr_2_1.jpg
I'm going to make you feel bad, that looks just like the spool I bought at boeing surplus years ago for less than five bucks.

Bob

Several years ago my then mechanic tied up the EDM probe wires in the engine compartment using fabric airplane rib lacing. 8 years later it still looks great, even in the engine compartment with all the heat. In my current exp we used good quality zip ties for the airframe wire bundles. In the wings there are grommets in every rib. Different answers for different places.

I was just wondering if there is any approved method that does not involve the use of two Adel clamps?
Approved and acceptable have different meanings but there are other acceptable methods to secure your wires. While the adel/lace method is preferred you can use cable ties. I've seen a number of OEMs use Mil-Spec ties and their associated mounts and spacers to route and secure wires, even in engine compartments. But using only cable ties is not permitted in all cases. In your example, there are self-adhesive mounts that you could bond to the airframe tube then cable tie the wire harness. The sky's the limit in some cases. Search for "mil-spec cable ties" online for examples.

Last edited:
Zip ties can damage the wire if too tight. Anyone care to share their favorite knot? It's something I struggle with, can't do the same one twice.

Zip ties can damage the wire if too tight. Anyone care to share their favorite knot? It's something I struggle with, can't do the same one twice.
A clove hitch finished with a square knot is what I've always used. If you do it right, it won't come undone. In fact, I recommend using a wire spoon to protect the wires if you have to cut lacing that is properly tied.

39129416895_3b6af7ca2a.jpg

35250.jpg

Last edited:
Back