CA35 and San Rafael

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
kind of a 2-part question with emphasis on question #2:

1) anyone know anything about CA35, a private field in San Rafael? looks small but looking at google earth there are a bunch of hangars. mostly just curious, nothing specific.

2) is anyone familiar with the area right around that strip? specifically the area just south of the field? basically, this area? my bro may be moving there, figured I'd get the inside scoop. thanks!

upload_2016-3-16_15-56-45.png

Call 'em? Number is there on your AirNav link.

Like many of the airports around the Bay (including OAK and SFO), the elevation is very close to sea level. NUQ has elevation 32 on one end of the runway and 1 on the other.

I'm used to that. I trained at KBDR where the elevation was less than 10 feet. But I have never seen zero before. Does the airport flood when there is a full moon?

I flew over it today, does that count? By the way the monkey had flown over it as well.

It is privately owned, but I think that there are hangars for rent and it is public use. I don't know if there are any commercial operators there or not. I have not had occasion to land there as I am not based there. I do hear aircraft going in and out of there from time to time.

AirNav says 100 singles based there.

yeah, so airnav also says this:

Aircraft operations: avg 25/day *
89% local general aviation
11% transient general aviation
* for 12-month period ending 26 July 1984

so again, I'm not interested in what airnav has to say or what foreflight says about it or what aopa says about it or what garmin pilot says about it. I was hoping to get some local knowledge about it, something you can't get in airnav.

Well in that case good luck! :rolleyes:

Sounds just like requests we get on here all the time asking about FBO's and other services. I fail to see why you feel the need to chastise the guy about it. There's a lot more to an airport than the numbers. I seem to remember seeing a discussion about this place a while back. It is private, and permission required, not open to the public ( just like airnav says) beyond that I don't know anything, but I do know there are people out there who do. Maybe even a few that won't make snarky comments in response to your rather reasonable questions.

The airport is privately owned. From what I understand, the owner isn't really a plane guy (this is 3rd hand). While there are a number of hangars, many of them are used for non-aviation purposes.
Regarding the housing area, this area is actually about a 10 minute drive from the airport -- there is no direct access. Other areas (Lucas Valley) are probably closer.
Any specific questions you have? I work in San Rafael and drive by here twice a day.

Funny this comes up, I just noticed a guy on the Pilots N Paws board based at CA35. Username is K9Wingman. He probably knows the deets.

Sounds just like requests we get on here all the time asking about FBO's and other services. I fail to see why you feel the need to chastise the guy about it. There's a lot more to an airport than the numbers. I seem to remember seeing a discussion about this place a while back. It is private, and permission required, not open to the public ( just like airnav says) beyond that I don't know anything, but I do know there are people out there who do. Maybe even a few that won't make snarky comments in response to your rather reasonable questions.

Huh? Who is doing that? Tried to be helpful and he blew me off. Wished him luck. Whatever Stinky.

...Any specific questions you have? I work in San Rafael and drive by here twice a day.

I mean not really, I'm only asking because my bro is looking at a house there. just curious if it looks like a nice area or if it's 'the hood'? I'm simply amazed at the house prices in that area. I think there was also an article on cnn recently about prices across the country, and San Fran was #1.

I mean not really, I'm only asking because my bro is looking at a house there. just curious if it looks like a nice area or if it's 'the hood'? I'm simply amazed at the house prices in that area. I think there was also an article on cnn recently about prices across the country, and San Fran was #1.

The area is not a 'hood. Pretty much all of Marin County is upscale and expensive, particularly as you get further South towards San Francisco.

Huh? Who is doing that? Tried to be helpful and he blew me off. Wished him luck. Whatever Stinky.

From this side of things, which is reading both sides of the conversation, he asked for local knowledge, you gave him info anyone who has never been there can find, he repeated that he was looking for actual experience, and you "wished him luck" with an eyeroll. The eye roll is what turns your not so usefull response into a snarky one. If anything you blew him off, not the other way around.

Also, Tiburon, which is just a stone's throw from Las Gallinas, is even pricier than San Francisco. (Oh, and eman, pro tip: when you come here, it's San Francisco. Or, "The City." Not San Fran. Not Frisco. You will mark yourself as an uninformed tourist.)

eh, ok, San Fran = out, but 'the city'.............there's only one that I can call 'the city' and it aint frisc...er, san francisco.

eh, ok, San Fran = out, but 'the city'.............there's only one that I can call 'the city' and it aint frisc...er, san francisco.

Then call it San Francisco. That's what the locals do anyway. Or talk about the specific neighborhood, if appropriate.

Frisco is in Colorado. And S.F. is in L.A. (where people do abbreviate everything, but they usually just call that particular abbreviation the "Valley").

You'll find at least a few parallels with New York, though on a much smaller scale.

kind of a 2-part question with emphasis on question #2:

1) anyone know anything about CA35, a private field in San Rafael? looks small but looking at google earth there are a bunch of hangars. mostly just curious, nothing specific.

2) is anyone familiar with the area right around that strip? specifically the area just south of the field? basically, this area? my bro may be moving there, figured I'd get the inside scoop. thanks!

View attachment 44574

PPR. NO transient parking available, often. I've flown in and out a couple times to pickup and drop off people that lived across the street.

There are two sets of very high power lines on the east end... Gave me lots of pucker...

Paul

Back