C210K Lands on Highway Pilot Error

fuel mismanagement aside -- why land gear up? Or did they collapse? Do 210 have an emergency gear down like an arrow?

fuel mismanagement aside -- why land gear up? Or did they collapse? Do 210 have an emergency gear down like an arrow?

'Cause he forgot to put them down. Cessna gear is independent of the engine. The emergency extension is a hand hydraulic pump. It takes some 20+ pumps to do it, so he might have been late. But it's a bit weird for the gear to fail at the same time the engine quits.

More likely, dealing with the distraction of the engine quitting, he forgot to put the gear down. And he ignored the gear warning.

The picture looks to me like the gear is up and locked.

This begs the question did he intentionally leave them up and since the outcome was no injuries that was that a good thing, or did he just screw the pooch all around and got lucky. :dunno:

As far as the gear-up, it was night and although he was heading for a highway he might not have been sure it wasn't dirt or wasn't sure he'd be on the highway. For that I might be able to give him a pass on the gear up thing. (Based on the pic, I can't see why he have an doubt about making the highway). But fuel mismanagement? Damn.

Last edited:
The 210K still had the engine driven hydraulic pump. He may have run out of time to pump it down by hand.

I think essentially all 205, 206 & 210s have vapor lock problems so the whole "bust pump -on switch tanks" should be on your mind during every takeoff.

I already posted this under Flight Training - Ooops - an hour before you. Got to get up in the morning:D

Sorry, I was at PT this morning at 0530 and didn't get to my office until 0830. Please forgive me oh great one?!

Are you referring to the Arrow Auto Extension feature? The 210 doesn't have that and neither do most Arrows these days. Most Arrow owners have had the system disabled.

Are you referring to the Arrow Auto Extension feature? The 210 doesn't have that and neither do most Arrows these days. Most Arrow owners have had the system disabled.

I know my Arrow has the system removed.

You are forgiven. And thank you for your service to this country:yes:

Thank you for your kindness in this matter. It's my pleasure, I love my job!

I had an interesting thought….

Some Cessna retracts have gear warnings that depend on throttle position or MP. Some of them depend on flap position as well. I don't know where the 210 falls here.

He might have left the throttle in after the engine failure, disabling the gear warning.

Either way - whatever happened to the GUMPS check?

I'm certain it went out the window when the fan quit.

If you try to maximize the glide, the gear has to stay up as long as possible. Not what you usually do. Cessnas really start to sink while the gear is cycling. And it takes ~12 sec.

Like the way the company owner chalked it up to the pilot making a mistake. Wonder how the conversation went once they got into a private office?

Like the way the company owner chalked it up to the pilot making a mistake. Wonder how the conversation went once they got into a private office?

Screen-Shot-2015-01-27-at-1.06.31-AM.png

'Cause he forgot to put them down. Cessna gear is independent of the engine. The emergency extension is a hand hydraulic pump. It takes some 20+ pumps to do it, so he might have been late. But it's a bit weird for the gear to fail at the same time the engine quits.

More likely, dealing with the distraction of the engine quitting, he forgot to put the gear down. And he ignored the gear warning.
my retract is electric, but the hand extension I probably would not have time to do at say, 1000 AGL with no engine. Who knows how much time he had.

Cessna gear is independent of the engine. The emergency extension is a hand hydraulic pump. It takes some 20+ pumps to do it, so he might have been late. But it's a bit weird for the gear to fail at the same time the engine quits.

Cessna 210 model years 1960 to 1971 (210 thru 210K) have landing gear hydraulics powered by an engine driven hydraulic pump. So roughly 3,000 airplanes. (about 1/3 of all 210s built)

The news reported it to be a C210K...

Last edited:
Perhaps there were several cars on the road, and he didn't have the space for a normal roll out. If I were trying to get it down in a hurry, and had minimal spacing between cars, I might consider a gear up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you fly a plane with aux tanks, run em dry. This will put you in the habit of going straight for the fuel selector when the engine loses power.

If you fly a plane with aux tanks, run em dry. This will put you in the habit of going straight for the fuel selector when the engine loses power.

My instructor used to fly for a 135 charter company, he tells of the time he and one of the other charter pilots were flying a 206 and ran a tank dry. They both reached for fuel selector at the same time and so quickly that they knocked their heads together with some force. He says the were both so focused on the fuel selector that if they had managed to knock each other unconscious one of them still probably would have got the selector switched and no one would have ever known why they crashed.

I have ran tanks dry enough that when the engine sputters I usually have the selector switched in under 2 seconds. Often if the plane has fuel pressure gauge I see the pressure drop before it ever loses power.

Brian

I have ran tanks dry enough that when the engine sputters I usually have the selector switched in under 2 seconds. Often if the plane has fuel pressure gauge I see the pressure drop before it ever loses power.

Brian

Carb or fuel injection?
I assume the pressure with fluctuate instead of a smooth drop, no?

I obviously haven't run my tanks dry.

Carb or fuel injection?

depends on the plane, Tomahawk I remember the best gave quite a bit of warning, the pressure would just start dropping 5 to 10 seconds before it lost power. The Viking didn't give much warning.

1966 182 didn't a have a pressure guage but engine starts surging when running out fuel.

Brian

My instructor used to fly for a 135 charter company, he tells of the time he and one of the other charter pilots were flying a 206 and ran a tank dry. They both reached for fuel selector at the same time and so quickly that they knocked their heads together with some force. He says the were both so focused on the fuel selector that if they had managed to knock each other unconscious one of them still probably would have got the selector switched and no one would have ever known why they crashed.
That type of interference is the exact reason that SOP for my crew is that the PF will address fuel warnings unless otherwise briefed/requested.

Carb or fuel injection?

Me neither...

35 years of flying and NEVER had a motor stop running while in the air....

And that is saying something from a guy who flys a Ford powered Homebuilt...:redface::redface:

Carb or fuel injection?

I don't have the cojones.
I'll run it to the low fuel light and then panic switch, no further.

Back