C210 Down near West Fargo, ND 8/10/2021

According to the NTSB.....

"The areas around the fuel filler caps did not exhibited any fuel stains. Both fuel filler caps had fuel grade placard of “100 OCTANE” and the fuel filler caps had “40 U.S. GALLON” inscribed.The left and right wing fuel tanks were of a bladder type. The bladders in both tanks were secured by their attaching hardware and not collapsed. There was some wrinkling of the bladders adjacent to wing structure that exhibited impact damage.The left and right wing vent system was unobstructed.The left and right wing tank fuel line pick up screens did not contain debris. The left and right wing tank fuel senders were intact and secured to the wing root structure. The electrical wiring leading to the senders was intact and secure and were cut during wreckage recovery. The left fuel sender had two stickers: “P/N#0726110-1 S/N#202964” and “11/17/20 AIR PARTS OF LOCK HAVEN 202964.” The left and right sender float arms moved freely and smoothly when exercised by hand. An ohm meter was used to check resistances of both senders when their float arms were positioned at the bottom mechanical stop, approximate mid-range of float arm travel, and at the top mechanical stop. The approximate resistance values for the left fuel sender were: bottom stop – 28 ohms, mid-range – 110 ohms, top stop – 210 ohms. The approximate resistance value for the right fuel sender were: bottom stop –38 ohms, mid travel – 150 ohms, top stop – 300 ohms. According to the aircraft manufacturer, the resistance values of fuel senders are: max value is 255 ohms +/– 15 ohms and the minimum value is 33.5 ohms +/– 2 ohms.All the fuel lines from leading to the fuel selector and from the fuel selector to the engine were intact, secure, and did not exhibit fuel leakage. There was no debris within the fuel system. There were no fuel stains on the aircraft consistent with leakage during aircraft operation."

Sounds like an intact and perfectly working fuel system. It would be interesting to know if the pilot was the type to run a tank dry. I think most do not.

Guages were fine, fuel tanks were fine, engine was fine. I tend to believe the NTSB.
Well since you’re responding to a post made by the pilot flying you could just ask instead of talking in the third person like he’s not here sharing his experience for us all to learn.

You are very encouraging,good grief don’t beat a man when he’s down
Perhaps, but unfortunately, the contradiction leads one to belief that it appears stuff is being made up. If true, that is not good, and more important than hurt feelings(at least for some of us still).

As of now, I still lean toward believing the NTSB.

It would help to know if running a tank dry was something that was done or avoided.

Last edited:
You are very encouraging,good grief don’t beat a man when he’s down
It’s not about beating a man when he’s down, it’s about the fact that he’s essentially called the NTSB liars without showing evidence. Mind you, I think the NTSB occasionally *does* get it wrong, but that’s not established here, yet.

Back