C180 Airfoil

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by jnmeade, Jun 28, 2020.

1. jnmeade

jnmeade Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    I'm looking for some information on what is described as a European C180 air foil (no, nothing to do with the Piper airplane).
    I've had no luck searching online. Does anyone have a suggestions on where to seek more information on this airfoil?

2. Arnold

Arnold Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arnold
    Perhaps NASA - aeronautics is their second name. Try searching google books.

3. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
  4. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
  5. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    I'd already tried airfoiltools and ignored NASA as I knew it was a European design. I had not read that it was proprietary. Even if it is proprietary, does that mean it is not in a European data base? Thanks to all for the suggestions.

6. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Back in the olden days, a big name organization like NACA would design airfoils, do the wind tunnel testing, and make data available for people who design airplanes.
    Now, anyone with a computer can design and simulate their own airfoil and customize it to the target speed / load ranges for a particular aircraft and never publish the foil data or have it put in a data base. Many just claim that the foil is proprietary, but if you have access to an actual aircraft, it's not that hard to reverse engineer.

GeorgeC likes this.
  7. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Royal Aeronautical Society, 4 Hamilton Place, London, UK.

8. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    I found this quote in a published paper Investigations on stability and control characteristics of a CS-VLA certified aircraft using wind tunnel test data at https://www.researchgate.net/public...ertified_aircraft_using_wind_tunnel_test_data.

One of the references (#21) is a link to the Flight Design website and was last downloaded in 2015, but when I tried it I got a "404" from the Flight Design website, so the link is broken. Searches for "airfoil FD14-144" wound up back at the researchgate article. :(

GeorgeC likes this.
  9. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    Thanks very much for this information. I'll see if I can follow up on it. I see the discussion of the wing in question in the article says it is a derivative of the C180. The C180 wing on my aircraft has a stall strip on the inboard end of the wing and is straight with no drooped nose.

10. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    If one were to disclose what one intended to do with the data, then perchance, others might be able to make suggestions relevant to the intended objective.

11. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    How about the Cessna airplane?

12. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Pretty much the same NACA2412 at the root fading off to a NACA0012 at the tip as many of the strut braced Cessnas (most of the rest stick with the 2412 all the way to the tip)

13. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    :yeahthat:
    That's true, and not too difficult to do. I can't help but wonder, though, why some manufacturers have no problem identifying the airfoil used in the wing, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, rudder and elevator, while others keep it a big secret. Heck, aircraft manufacturers whose products are available both as kits (plans only, kits, quick build kits) and as turn-key ready-to-fly airplanes often provide full size rib templates for wings and control surfaces.