C172 E

Figure 15k for OH, plus any other repairs that may arise. Extremely vague description, with no detail. Could put you underwater.

I guess you can look at it but after overhaul you'd be at 40k or so total.

Nice lookin plane. I'd add the cost of overhauling the engine, add that to the 15k and decide if I thought it was worth it. All the hours you might get until you have to overhaul it are gravy. I'd want to know if it's been flown regularly or has been sitting for a long time.

There was a school out at the bountiful skypark that went belly up about 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure this is from that (kokopelli was their brand).The guy that owns the school there nowbought a couple of their planes to get himself started. So I can probably talk to him and see what he knows.

He might try to talk me intobuying the 172 N he has for sale for $30,000 though....

I think I'll go out Friday and check it out. I'll post back when I have more info.

Assuming the rest is in good shape (and it's been nicely updated from the pictures) it could work. O-300 has 6 cylinders to overhaul so it's a little more pricey than the Lycoming 4 banger.

From the photos, it looks like a lot of the work regarding the paint, panel and interior are done... $20K for a new engine and you're into a nice little plane for $35,000 maybe $40K tops

Is there any semi reliable way to tell is there is any life left in the engine?

I could swing the 15 grand, but not much more than that. If I could fly it for a couple years and get 200 more hours out of it then I could save up for the rebuild.

Is there any semi reliable way to tell is there is any life left in the engine?

A compression check and oil burn per hour of flight (need to fly it for 5 hours at least though). Also, cut open oil filter and examine. All standard stuff.

What do you want to do with the plane, what's your mission? The link is gone already just FYI.

Looks like it is gone. I doubt it sold that quickly, wonder what happpened.

Deals like that don't last long. An A&P who can do the overhaul himself can do it, and have a $30k 0 SMOH plane that will sell for $40k all day long.

Back