C172 and foreflight set up

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
When I started lessons I bought an Ipad 11 pro with cellular, planned to use it for foreflight. Now that I have a plane I tried to put a yoke mount in, found the yoke mount and my ipad really block the instruments in a manner that is not tolerable. So My question for those here, especially with a C172. Bigger is not always better.

What yoke mount, what Ipad, and how do you attach the mount?

Thank you

When I was renting a 172, I used my iPad Air gen 3 on a RAM yoke mount. I seem to remember it blocked a bit o' the DG, but not enough that it was a concern. Still use that setup in our Arrow... blocks off the MP a little, but I just peek around the iPad... that won't be a problem when we get the JPI or the GI275

ipad mini + otterbox + ram yoke mount + xgrip worked for me in pa28/172/182.

I would have suggested the I pad mini. But since you have the pro already suggest what I use for my 9.6 inch I pad pro which is a Ram mount attached to window.

I have an iPad Pro 11”... (also use FF as an EFB and traffic / Wx) ... it’s basically too big but at the time i purchased it, it was the only one compatible with Apple Pencil 2... which is worth it. I could never get used to yoke mount.

On 172s, I most often use a kneeboard that holds the iPad. If I’m alone I’ll use a Ram double suction mount from the right side. It’s too big to mount on the left side in a 172. On the left I mount my iPhone.

Use a rubber cover on the IPad so it won’t slide around and set it in your lap. I’ve tried a half dozen mounts and none of them work as well as simply setting it in my lap.

I tried a 4th gen iPad on a yoke mount and that was just too much. Bought a mini with a RAM mount and it’s just right for the yoke. Larger version? Lap or passenger’s lap.

When I started lessons I bought an Ipad 11 pro with cellular, planned to use it for foreflight. Now that I have a plane I tried to put a yoke mount in, found the yoke mount and my ipad really block the instruments in a manner that is not tolerable. So My question for those here, especially with a C172. Bigger is not always better.

What yoke mount, what Ipad, and how do you attach the mount?

Thank you

Your 11" is perfect for a 172. You just have to mount it correctly! I have a whole tub of Ram mounts and parts so I always make something work.
First the way the Ram mount is in our 172 it works best with the ipad mounted upside down because if you use the cradle in the up position it is way to high. I have the PRO 10.5, basically the same size as your 11. Get a Ram EZROLLR direct fit cradle, not the universal garbage.
I have also mounted them sideways and it works also.....

Back