C150 or C152

If you go into devices in ForeFlight do you see the 375 connected?

If you're going to put lipstick on a pig, just make sure to take the pig out on the town while the lipstick is fresh. I understand that your plan is to fly the plane hard for the next year or so. You now have a better 150 than existed on the market in August, especially for the time-building mission since it is ADS-B and real IFR equipped, and you should have no problem selling it for a fair price when you have accomplished your mission. Even if you are forced to sell it for what you paid before repairs and upgrades, you will come out far ahead of renting.

1. I can not get the traffic to display on my IPAD on foreflight even though I have the GNX375 paired via bluetooth. Traffic shows on moving map on GNX375 but not on my ipad. Everything else (weather etc) is showing on my ipad.

I seem to recall an earlier thread about Foreflight not being able to connect to traffic on a 375. Try searching a bit - can't remember what the solution was.

Personally, for IFR, I’d swap the AI and altimeter locations. Lose the DG since it has no value with a slaved HSI, move the VSI to the DG location and put an AV30 as a backup AI in the current VSI location. Or similar. Ideally you have two AI is the key.

If the LOC makes sense but the VOR does not, may have an issue with whatever passes for a resolver these days. LOC doesn’t care what course you set whereas VOR does.

An EFIS HSI must control the main box not the other way around. Since the 375 is gps + txp, somehow hitting the CDI button from gps to VLOC on the 275 has to tell it to talk to the number 1 king Nav/com.

overall a very nice setup in my opinion.

Personally, for IFR, I’d swap the AI and altimeter locations. Lose the DG since it has no value with a slaved HSI, move the VSI to the DG location and put an AV30 as a backup AI in the current VSI location. Or similar. Ideally you have two AI is the key.

If the LOC makes sense but the VOR does not, may have an issue with whatever passes for a resolver these days. LOC doesn’t care what course you set whereas VOR does.

An EFIS HSI must control the main box not the other way around. Since the 375 is gps + txp, somehow hitting the CDI button from gps to VLOC on the 275 has to tell it to talk to the number 1 king Nav/com.

overall a very nice setup in my opinion.

Great suggestions. I dont like the DG anyways(it is old and I always have to make sure the knob is pulled out all the way otherwise it does not work properly).

Had the plane in the shop so that the main avionics guy figures out the GI275 and VOR issues. He thought he fixed it. We went up 2 days ago to check it out and nope it was still not working. Then he looked at it again yesterday and finally figured it out.

It is ALL working now. Everything is doing what it is supposed to do. I can display the traffic on my IPAD too. The one thing that was weird yesterday was that as I was messing around with the radio and nav frequencies I started hearing music on my headset for a min or two. I have no idea where that was coming from. Something with the bluetooth I am sure but it went away and my radios worked fine throughout the flight.

I am still trying to figure out the actual fuel burn though. It is fluctuating from 4 to 6.5 gal per hour.

I am at 420 hr. 780 to go.

The plane went in for the annual. They found that ding in the prop. swear it wasn't there last time I flew it. they aren't sure if it can be repaired.
what does a new McCauley prop cost these days?

20240305_124906.jpg

~5 AMU in 2019.

Aviation money units. 1 AMU=1000 American dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 AMUs doesnt sound nearly as rough at $5,000.

That's not a rock ding. Looks like someone whacked it with a tool or went at it with a file.

That's not a rock ding. Looks like someone whacked it with a tool or went at it with a file.

To be honest that went through my mind as soon as I saw. I literally flew it last week and did not see anything on the pre flight. I did not perform a post flight inspection. So, I thought whatever happened it had to be when I landed and put it away. I kind of do not trust the FBO I am dealing with.

Can something like that be repaired?

Never seen anything like that. Does it line up with any towbars? Or maybe a part of another airplane?

We just ordered a prop for our 172; $8K.

Send it to a prop shop for overhaul. Let them tell you it cannot be salvaged.

Send it to a prop shop for overhaul. Let them tell you it cannot be salvaged.
Let them also tell you what could have done that? It does look strange. Doesn't look like filing, etc. Probably just a very odd rock hit. Good thing you caught that.

Screenshot_20240308_145359_Gmail.jpg

This is the findings from the annual. I am kind of clueless when it comes to repairs and mechanical stuff. I am pretty positive the ding on the prop was deliberate and intentional. They think they can dress it and repair it but the ding looks large enough that it worries me.
Another thing I am worried about is not knowing if it was a prop strike which to my understanding requires a major engine inspection?!?.
I guess I am asking how significant are these other findings. I am planning on selling it after Christmas.

The ding in the prop is not copnsistent with a prop strike. Beyond that, I dunno.

Yeah - besides, you’d had known if you hit something / someone .
I know I didn't cause it. I worry about how it happened. obviously the fbo won't admit to anything.

Given it’s on the leading edge of the prop, it’s got to be a bizzare rock chip. I just can’t imagine the FBO would be damaging planes.

Given it’s on the leading edge of the prop, it’s got to be a bizzare rock chip. I just can’t imagine the FBO would be damaging planes.
The thing is, the paint is completely gone. The indentation is uniform and cylindrical. The edge is clean.

Screenshot_20240308-173940.png

Last edited:
View attachment 126426

This is the findings from the annual. I am kind of clueless when it comes to repairs and mechanical stuff. I am pretty positive the ding on the prop was deliberate and intentional. They think they can dress it and repair it but the ding looks large enough that it worries me.
Another thing I am worried about is not knowing if it was a prop strike which to my understanding requires a major engine inspection?!?.
I guess I am asking how significant are these other findings. I am planning on selling it after Christmas.
re. Item #1, make sure it's absolutely cracked. For my last annual the shop found the same "issue" and pointed it out to me prior to replacement approval. After getting the plane and old replaced caliper back I looked more closely at the "crack" and discovered it was just the paint that was cracked, the underlying caliper was fine. Now I have a spare caliper and one AMU less in my wallet.

1710258565582.png

There is very little displaced metal there as you would normally find on an ordinary ding. This looks like metal was scooped out by something that had a radius to it. Maybe a small bolt or clevis pin or dowel pin on the runway or taxiway, but it's long way up from the tip, suggesting that it fell off the airplane or cowling. Or the guys in the shop did something stupid.

I keep thinking that it looks sort of like fretting corrosion....or otherwise worn from something like a rope stretched across the blade and sawing back and forth
but it does sort of look like there is some displaced metal...basically bulges of metal above and below the notch. It is odd though that it looks like no bulging at all left and right of the notch... and I would have expected that if it was a hard hit

Looks like someone sucked up a tie down chain or cable. I've seen this damage before

Looks like the timing mechanism on the machine gun had a momentary misclock.

Trying to make a firm conclusion on a grainy pic. I've some prop nicks like that. Some fixed by mechanic and another time we sent the prop in for an overhaul. Came back looking like a brand new prop. Very likely some gravel or rock hit the prop on your last flight. One time the FBO fuel truck came by and while fueling the line guy must have accidentally scratched the brand new paint job. I fought with the FBO owner and they wouldn't own up to it.

Back