C150: A Couple Questions

Suggest you consider if you really have a nose wheel shimmy OR
Is it out of balance Mains initiating the party?

If you look at Mains immediately after TO you may find them dancing around.

More on shimmy later.

The most serious issue I encountered with that flavor 150 was cracks in the aft fuselage .

You or your Tech may want to remove tailbone panels and check Stab attach structure.

I’ve found several with large cracks there.

Cessna knows of the issue and has/had a beef-up kit available.

Later models were much more robust.

Tom: My guess is the Engine was swapped.

Starter a Clutch configuration is different and requires splitting the Case

To change the 2 types of legacy Starters.

Not uncommon and since both types are approved I would consider it a a Minor Alteration.

Regardless of how you keep track of them all ADs should be traceable to a signature.

Records of other maintenance events should be kept until superseded.

a beef-up kit

Last edited:
Tom: My guess is the Engine was swapped.

Starter a Clutch configuration is different and requires splitting the Case

Not when you ditch the old engine in its entirety, the engine was certainly swapped, the early pull starter went away with the old engine, and the new engine with a later key starter was replaced as a unit and no entry was entered (10 years ago)

OBTW the modification on a pull starter can be made with out splitting the case when you convert to the light weight starter. I do this all the time.

you are correct, you must split the case when you use the old style starter, because you must change to a bearing style support.

Last edited:
Agreed.

My guess is Cessna specced out the Key Start as Students (?) have been known to

Pull & engage the Starter with the engine running.

Turned out it addressed one issue and created another.

Key Start Clutches were not noted for reliability.

Last edited:
Key Start Clutches were not noted for reliability.
they are a lot better when you use Phillps 20-W-50. and no additives.

the clutch depends on friction, too much slippery stuff is not good for them.

W100 or mineral oil works. plane old oil is best for them.

modification of the 0-200 remove the stud or not to remove

Attachments

• starter saft mod 1.jpeg
    starter saft mod 1.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Starter shaft 1.jpeg
    Starter shaft 1.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 9
what is actually required to kept in the logs past one year?
Depends how you define "logs." There's no requirement to have "logs" but there is a requirement for mx records. Some people use "logs" and "records" interchangeabliy. But for records over 1 year look to 91.417 and 91.411/413.

so you could lose the old book every year just before after the annual and start a new one and technically be in compliance, right?
FTFY. Technically yes provided you continuously maintain the Part 91 records stated above which includes records since the previous annual to your current annual. The IA signs for everything prior to his signature and not for anything after his signature.

FYI: Back in the day, there was requirement to reissue a new AWC each annual which included a conformity check to the aircraft type design/TC. So since the aircraft meets its type design data or properly modified data there was no need to maintain certain records beyond 1 year.

And while there is no longer a AWC reissue requirement the aircraft must still meet its type design/ modification data every year at the annual. So those type records dont need to be retained still today. However there's a bit more to it to include what records are required within that 1 period year.

Not when you ditch the old engine in its entirety, the engine was certainly swapped, the early pull starter went away with the old engine, and the new engine with a later key starter was replaced as a unit and no entry was entered (10 years ago)

OBTW the modification on a pull starter can be made with out splitting the case when you convert to the light weight starter. I do this all the time.

you are correct, you must split the case when you use the old style starter, because you must change to a bearing style support.

I had that done on my c85, which for those that don’t know- are very similar engines... the old “tractor starter” went and I put a lightweight on it. Man does it sound peppier than that old pull starter ever did too... and I left 8lbs behind... And yes it was done without splitting the case...

It’s a great upgrade...

Back