C-17 down in Texas

C-17 Globemaster Down in North Texas

There's not much on it at this time. I hope no lives were lost but this certainly fits the bill of "things in three."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/23/texas.plane/index.html

I have a student who used to fly C-17's. He was telling me approaches were made on the backside with unusually high AoA's.

Re: C-17 Globemaster Down in North Texas

Jack, ya beat me by a few minutes. If I hadn't turned to speak with another instructor...

That's a big plane to go down!

What's with all the crashes lately? It's gusting to 44 in Oklahoma, I wonder if that was a a factor.

Initial Air Force reports of a crash were incorrect, an Air Force spokesman told CNN affiliates.
The crash that never happened.

Well, there's nothing like reporting something that hasn't been properly verified with local authorities!

I recall a book I read in high school that was about the C-130. Similar story. They found it would fly great on two engines, so they'd cage the outboards and go hedgehopping across the country. Lots of calls to the local police wondering where it crashed.

Long Arm of America was the title of the book. Lots of sea stories (or whatever the Air Force calls them). To give you an idea of when it was written, it mentions the C-141 at the end as the next great thing, still under development. :D

Well, there's nothing like reporting something that hasn't been properly verified with local authorities!

Was probably flying one of the Military Training Routes you see depicted all around Olney:

http://skyvector.com/#46-27-3-3085-2552

Olney is where the CarterCopter was (is?) being built and test flown.

The crash that never happened.

I'm glad it was a false alarm. I'm also glad CNN retracted the story.

Jack, ya beat me by a few minutes. If I hadn't turned to speak with another instructor...

I was very surprised I got the 1st post on this. The only I saw it when I did was because I had to wait on an instrument and I had some time to kill.

I think you meant deleting the post so the quote isn't there? Done!
Yep, that was what I meant. That was the same URL that was sent out to a number of folks in PMs last week before I pointed it out to Jesse. He deleted the "member" and the PMs.

Back