Bye bye 4Loko

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/17/alcohol.caffeine.drinks/index.html?hpt=T2
cnn said:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration told the manufacturers of seven caffeinated alcoholic beverages Wednesday that their drinks are a "public health concern" and can't stay on the market in their current form.

I get it, it can be dangerous. More so then plain ole drinking. But is it that much more dangerous then other drinking practices out there?

Am I the only one that views this as the powers that be stating people don't know their limits without their body stopping them?

Guess they'll go back to mixing there own redbull and vodka like the old days, cause we know nothing can go wrong that way.

I guess its back to the hard stuff.
family-guy-4-big.jpg

So will this also outlaw the Jäger Bomb???

I sure hope so. Who in their right mind decided to mix two of the vilest flavors in existence...

I think another warning label would have been better. something like "Caution: Drinker may be more intoxicated then he/she appears"
Sing to the Bacharach tune: "What the world needs now... Are warnings, sweet warnings... They're the only thing... That there's just too little of."

LOL.

It tastes like regret.

The taste was another matter entirely. When the first drop of Four Loko touched my tongue, I immediately regretted my decision to run this little test. Blue Raspberry definitely does not taste like raspberry. Hell, it doesn’t even taste like anything blue, with the possible exception of 2000 Flushes. Put simply, Four Loko Blue Raspberry is abhorrent and I can only imagine that these cans are filled by a long assembly line of Smurfs vomiting.​
:tongue:

Was the OP under the influence of the thread title when writing both the 1st and 4th posts. Such bad spelling and/or word use.

Was the OP under the influence of the thread title when writing both the 1st and 4th posts. Such bad spelling and/or word use.
Even worse, work. I tend to do and say odd things when stressed.

I like to think I have an on & off again relationship with proper English.

If it is a legal product, what right does the state have to ban it. The problem with this particular beverage is its high alcohol content and its fruity flavor. So how's this different than my (early college barhop days) Hawaiian punch and vodka?
The gov should stay out of my thermos, off my plate, cigar case and out of my candy. They can tax the hell out of it, make it difficult to get, but let me have my vices!
Life is a gamble. NO ONE gets out of it alive!

The problem with this particular beverage is its high alcohol content and its fruity flavor. So how's this different than my (early college barhop days) Hawaiian punch and vodka?

That's not the issue. It's the caffeine. Supposedly the caffeine prevents one from realizing how drunk they are as they head towards a DUI or poisoning.

All this press makes me want to try it now. And to think I skipped it in college cause it seemed like a bad idea.:confused:

All this press makes me want to try it now. And to think I skipped it in college cause it seemed like a bad idea.:confused:
I've had it. It's one of the few products that performs exactly as advertised.
The sadness of this whole thing is that the moron government and the nanny statists are attempting to get people to behave responsibly with selective product bans.
When I was in high school, 4Loko didn't exist, but I don't recall any shortage of desire for getting hammered amongst my classmates. Now, apparently, kids need 4Loko to get the job done, and we'll all be better and safer if this product doesn't exist.
Or, the kids will just go back to drinking too much regular old vodka mixed with whatever.
I'll miss 4Loko when it's gone.

Never had the stuff, but if they taste anything like Jäger Bombs, they will not be overly missed. I suppose I will just have to go find a retailer than vends the stuff and find out for myself.

Me, I prefer a nice Sambuca and double expresso...

crown & dr. pepper is the perfect alcohol and caffeine combination for me. mm mm good

And who remembers this???
"Hop'n Gator. A relic from the brewery's various attempts to appeal to a market besides middle-aged steel workers. Hop'n Gator = Beer + Gatorade."

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hopn Gator.jpg
    Hopn Gator.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 63
The English drink beer and lemonade. Its called a Shandy. Myself, I consider it vile, but there are those who like it. Besides, isn't that the same as Mike's Hard Lemonade and all its imitators?

Last edited:
The English drink beer and lemonade. Its called a Shandy. Myself, I consider it vile, but there are those who like it. Besides, isn't that the same as Mike's Hard Lemonade and all its copies?
Not just the English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy said:
Shandy, or shandygaff, is beer mixed with citrus-flavored soda, carbonated lemonade, ginger beer, ginger ale, or cider. The proportions of the two ingredients are adjusted to taste, normally half-and-half.
In Germany, this type of drink is called a Radler (German for "cyclist"). In France and in Italy, it is called a panaché ("mixed"). In Catalan it is xampu ("shampoo") or clara.

And Leinenkugel Brewery has their Summer Shandy.

The English drink beer and lemonade. Its called a Shandy. Myself, I consider it vile, but there are those who like it. Besides, isn't that the same as Mike's Hard Lemonade and all its copies?

No.

With apologies to Leinie's, I don't like Shandy - Because I don't like beer. (Shhhh! I can't say that too loud in Wisconsin...)

Mike's Hard Lemonade is not beer, nor is it beer-based, and doesn't taste anything like beer.

No.

With apologies to Leinie's, I don't like Shandy - Because I don't like beer. (Shhhh! I can't say that too loud in Wisconsin...)

Mike's Hard Lemonade is not beer, nor is it beer-based, and doesn't taste anything like beer.

Quit being dense. Mike's Hard this and that are sweet alcoholic drinks. The only difference between them and what the FDA is trying to disallow is the caffeine, if I'm reading this correctly.

Quit being dense. Mike's Hard this and that are sweet alcoholic drinks. The only difference between them and what the FDA is trying to disallow is the caffeine, if I'm reading this correctly.
So next they go after Kalua and all its flavors.
Good bye Sombrero.
Like I said before, the government should stay out of my glass, off my plate, and out of my car. I don't need them protecting me. I'm quite able to do so on my own.
We don't need terrorists. We voted the real ones in.

I don't mind the FDA licensing new drugs and making certain they're safe. But legislating new foods that are just combinations of extant ingredients seems way over the top to me. Where do you buy this stuff anyway? I've never seen it, and want mine before it all goes away.

I don't mind the FDA licensing new drugs and making certain they're safe. But legislating new foods that are just combinations of extant ingredients seems way over the top to me. Where do you buy this stuff anyway? I've never seen it, and want mine before it all goes away.
I would guess you could find them at convenient stores that sell beer and wine. I haven't seen them at my local liquor store but then, I'm not in a college town (targetted market).

I am in a college town and I've never seen them. Maybe I'll check on my way home.

The English drink beer and lemonade. Its called a Shandy. Myself, I consider it vile, but there are those who like it. Besides, isn't that the same as Mike's Hard Lemonade and all its imitators?

Quit being dense. Mike's Hard this and that are sweet alcoholic drinks.

Dense? You asked if Shandy is the same as Mike's Hard Lemonade. It's not. That's what I said.

The only difference between them and what the FDA is trying to disallow is the caffeine, if I'm reading this correctly.

That's not what you asked. But yeah, it seems like the combination of alcohol and caffeine is the thing.

Why polute Crown? Straight up, or on the rocks if you must.

Because some of us just simply do not like it that way. Give me a crown and coke any day baby!

Because some of us just simply do not like it that way. Give me a crown and coke any day baby!
I had a friend who drank his Hennesey Cognac with coke. His explanation was it lasted longer that way. I used to drink Canadian Whiskey in a tall glass with water/no ice. Same deal.
A good quality beverage will survive. Mixed or straight, it's flavor shines through.

I will not dilute a finely distilled beverage with water. The whole point of the distillation was to get rid of the water. I will have one on the rocks, and yes the ice cubes add water. Don't like it, but it beats drinking warm drinks. Used to keep my booze in the freezer, but I don't seem to have room now.

Back