Buying Stuff from Overseas Companies

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I have several private (non-agency) advertisers from China who are part of a growing movement in that nation to change the country's reputation as purveyors of poorly-made, cheap ****. They're easy to deal with and they pay their bills on time, which is more than I can say for most of my domestic private advertisers. The only way to get many of my domestic private advertisers to pay their bills is to pull down their ads.

Not so with the Chinese. When I first started dealing with them, I actually had to hack my billing software. I suppose because of calendar differences, the Chinese advertisers sometimes made their payments directly via PayPal a day or two before the recurring invoices were generated. Because they paid directly rather than going through the payment gateway, the money would be in my account, but my self-hosted invoicing system would be unaware that the payments had been made.

The absolute last thing I wanted to do was interrupt the payment practices of advertisers who paid early, so I had to cobble together an IPN listener and a script to either credit and update the client's balance when advertisers made direct PayPal payments against invoices that hadn't yet been generated, or send me an email if the software couldn't figure out which client's account should be credited. That happens sometimes when the invoicing software doesn't recognize the payer's email address.

It wasn't a big deal and I really should have done it years before. It just wasn't a "problem" that had ever come up before. Usually my problem was getting advertisers to pay for past-due invoices, not making sure that payments made outside the gateway against future invoices were properly credited. It was a good "problem" to have.

Over the years, I've become friendly enough with the rep for one of the Chinese companies that she occasionally does me a favor by finding out which Chinese manufacturer actually makes specific items sold under (nominally) U.S. companies' labels so I can inquire about purchasing the products directly from the Chinese manufacturers. The prices are typically as little as 15 to 25 percent of what those identical products would cost under the American labels (plus shipping, which is surprisingly inexpensive and rarely takes more than a week to ten days).

My thinking is that if the nominally U.S. companies are going to offshore their engineering and manufacturing jobs to China, then they're really no longer U.S. companies, and I therefore owe them zero loyalty. Other than the CEO and his or her secretary (about whom I couldn't give a ****) and the shareholders (about whom I care even less), they're no longer creating any jobs in the U.S. They're just selling re-badged Chinese stuff at obscene markups.

In other words, if my buying choices for certain products are going to be limited to stuff designed and made in China, then I may as well buy those products from the Chinese. Why reward nominally U.S. companies for sending jobs overseas? I'd rather just cut them out of the loop altogether -- and save some money in the process.

I only do this when no U.S.-made (or at least North American-made) alternative exists for the product I need. I seek out domestic alternatives first. If they don't exist, and my only choices are Chinese-engineered and -manufactured products, then I make every attempt to buy those products directly from the Chinese.

I'm also starting to do the same for stuff made in other countries (especially Mexico). If I can find out who actually manufactured the thing, I look into purchasing it from the manufacturer or a seller in that country, under that company's domestic label, if one exists. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm getting the impression that stuff that's engineered in the U.S. is only available under the U.S. labels, but stuff that's engineered overseas and simply re-badged for the U.S. market is usually available under labels domestic to those (and other) countries, usually at much lower prices. The label stuck on the thing may be in another language, but I really don't care about that. I'm not paying for the label.

I've had some of my friends and family tell me I'm being unpatriotic. I disagree because I don't believe I owe any loyalty to U.S. companies once they ship their engineering and manufacturing overseas. I'm interested in the opinions of people on POA.

Rich

Ambivalent.

On the one hand, for stuff that originates in China (rather than existing product class being moved from US manufacture), a domestic importer that actually supports the product through support, warranty and legible use instructions in English is worth supporting.

OTOH, if it's just a case of off-shoring manufacturing to pad the margins, I say, buy it the best way you can, no guilt.

Example: a major home improvement "superstore" (we'll call them, "Lowe's") had a complete selection of top-grade Klein tools (beautiful, almost all US-made,warranted); they pulled them all, replaced with Chinese-made tools under the brand of a wire manufacturer. Presumed (for discussion's sake) to be good tools, but priced and marketed as if they're just as good as the tools made in Chicago. No. If you can source the same stuff at the Harbor Freight price, do it.

Yeah I agree. If you make the cost of production unviable in your own country, you either 1) isolate the economy and operate in a vacuum, or 2) let your companies outsource.

Even if companies start moving back, I don't see them giving up their rediculous $5-30M salaries. I don't blame you one bit.

Regulations.
Between OSHA, EPA ACA unions and all of the other social benefit crap. non of which exist in the Far East. All of it foisted by people that never actually ever made a product. US companies do not stand a chance.

I see you as the ugly WalMart shopper, rationalizing your behavior. Horray for me, the hell with the rest of you.

The other benefit ordering from Chinese companies, is that they're more than willing to make custom adjustments on the assembly line.

I've on multiple occasions now ordered devices that come with sealed cords attached, but I would like longer cords so I can avoid running extension cords. So I just call up my contact, have him make it for me with longer cables, maybe $1 per unit or so extra - arrives within a few weeks. This is even for small quantity orders - in the couple of hundred dollar range.

Now try going into Lowes, Harbor Freight, wherever, and ask them to make you a drill with a 15ft cable. Or 10 drills. Or 100 even. Good luck.

Regulations.
Between OSHA, EPA ACA unions and all of the other social benefit crap. non of which exist in the Far East. All of it foisted by people that never actually ever made a product. US companies do not stand a chance.

I see you as the ugly WalMart shopper, rationalizing your behavior. Horray for me, the hell with the rest of you.

Actually, I rarely darken the doorstep of a Walmart store. But I get your analogy.

Rich

Ambivalent.

On the one hand, for stuff that originates in China (rather than existing product class being moved from US manufacture), a domestic importer that actually supports the product through support, warranty and legible use instructions in English is worth supporting.

OTOH, if it's just a case of off-shoring manufacturing to pad the margins, I say, buy it the best way you can, no guilt.

Example: a major home improvement "superstore" (we'll call them, "Lowe's") had a complete selection of top-grade Klein tools (beautiful, almost all US-made,warranted); they pulled them all, replaced with Chinese-made tools under the brand of a wire manufacturer. Presumed (for discussion's sake) to be good tools, but priced and marketed as if they're just as good as the tools made in Chicago. No. If you can source the same stuff at the Harbor Freight price, do it.

I get your points regarding warranty, support, and so forth.

What I'm specifically talking about are companies that take a product that's engineered and manufactured overseas, slapping their own label on it, probably having it drop-shipped to retailers' warehouses, and marking it up a bazillion percent for the U.S. market. Even the instructions for most of these products are in pidgin English because despite the labels, no American ever touched the things.

For example, a company in China called SunSun (whose nominally English language site is worth visiting just for the entertainment value) manufactures aquarium supplies that are re-badged by "American" companies like Aquatop and Marineland. The SunSun products are not knock-offs. They're the identical products, made by the same Chinese people, working in the same Chinese factories, and arriving in U.S. ports on the same Chinese ships. Literally the only differences are the labels and the packaging.

In that case, it seems to me that all the "U.S." company is doing is collecting a markup. The products are the same, they were designed and manufactured in the same place, they perform identically, there's little or no need for support, and even the parts are interchangeable. Those are the kinds of situations I'm talking about.

Rich

I guess if the American manufacturing worker has already been cut out of the picture, there is no harm in cutting out the American supply chain worker and retail worker as well. I get it.

I guess if the American manufacturing worker has already been cut out of the picture, there is no harm in cutting out the American supply chain worker and retail worker as well. I get it.

Good point.

Rich

I have several private (non-agency) advertisers from China who are part of a growing movement in that nation to change the country's reputation as purveyors of poorly-made, cheap ****.

I've no doubt that's true, that the Chinese want to improve their REPUTATION. They're all about face. They've got a long way to go to convince me they want to change their actual product quality. Most of the crap I buy that says Made in China is still exactly that: crap.

But I agree you should feel no guilt to not be loyal to American companies that ship engineering and manufacturing overseas. However I also agree with Morgan and Skydog, that it's not necessarily the fault of the companies that they must do this. But that's no reason to feel loyalty to them just because it's not their fault. In these times, you just have to look out for yourself. That's what everyone else is doing. Nobody else is going to take care of your wallet so you have to.

I've no doubt that's true, that the Chinese want to improve their REPUTATION. They're all about face. They've got a long way to go to convince me they want to change their actual product quality. Most of the crap I buy that says Made in China is still exactly that: crap.

It depends. I've found that their aquarium stuff is just as good as anyone else's, which is not surprising because they make it for everyone else. I also bought a Chinese guitar a while ago that came from the factory so perfectly set up that I didn't have to do a thing except tune it. Nice sound, too. A friend of mine bought a very nice Chinese clarinet at the same time. Maybe they have some special cultural admiration for musical instruments. But most of the rest of their stuff is awful.

I'm not as pessimistic as you about their future, however, because I remember when "Made in Japan," "Made in Taiwan," and "Made in Korea" were also synonymous with "cheap ****." An increased emphasis on quality also requires better-trained, better-motivated, and ultimately better-paid employees; so if the Chinese are serious about it, it may elevate the standard of living there as much as it did in the other countries.

But maybe not. Those other companies weren't as dictatorial as China to begin with. Time will tell.

Rich

I think "guilt" is in the mind of the beholder.

Trying to clarify:

You are talking specifically about products designed, manufactured, marketed, and sold by a Chinese company -- then that product is bought and re-branded or re-labeled by a US company or companies for sale in the US? And you are working a deal of your own with that manufacturer?

This isn't a deal where a US company contracts with a Chinese manufacturer who siphons some items off the assembly line for sale to others and is double-dipping?

Trying to clarify:

You are talking specifically about products designed, manufactured, marketed, and sold by a Chinese company -- then that product is bought and re-branded or re-labeled by a US company or companies for sale in the US? And you are working a deal of your own with that manufacturer?

This isn't a deal where a US company contracts with a Chinese manufacturer who siphons some items off the assembly line for sale to others and is double-dipping?

You are correct. In the case of aquarium stuff in particular, the identical products are rebadged and sold by different companies, both U.S. and otherwise, under their own labels. The only difference in some cases are different colors to match a vendor's traditional color scheme. They're not items that were designed by a U.S. company and built under contract.

Rich

As a general rule, I do not buy from overseas. My wife ordered some Leather boots online and they took a month to arrive, directly from China. They were inexpensive knockoffs that looked like more expensive ones she had wanted a year ago but couldn't find now.

...They were inexpensive knockoffs that looked like more expensive ones she had wanted a year ago but couldn't find now.[/QUOTE]

This.

China will have to follow Japan, South Korea et al and move to higher value goods production, which also means higher quality goods. It will probably do this faster than South Korea did, which was faster than Japan's cycle.

In the meantime it will be a challenge to easily and consistently distinguish between those Chinese manufacturers that produce a decent product and those that produce stuff that looks absolutely identical but is in fact garbage.

One favoured tactic of the madatory Chinese local partner is to run one daytime shift producing product for the foreign joint venture partner's distribution chain, and run a night shift that uses the foreign partners IP and FDI in the facility to produce a near perfect knock off that gets sold in direct competition.

I just wish some companies would structure their business models more realistically.

E.g. Saleae Logic sells logic analyzers for around $220.

They have absolutely awesome software - which they give away for free. That's why I use Saleae - because of the software. Their software only works (or is only supposed to work) on their hardware.

However, problem is logic analyzer hardware by nature is something you well... tend to blow up.

I can get a Saleae Logic compatible analyzer from China for $7 that works just as well.

Now I already purchased proper Saleae hardware twice, and paid for the IP twice, and blew up their hardware twice. The hardware should have been cheap to replace, but it's not, because you keep paying for mostly the software IP. If they instead structure their offering differently, and the charge the premium for the software instead of the hardware, people will be less likely to order hardware from China, or if they do, it will be less of a loss for Saleae.

But I'm quite sure now that most people who buy the Chinese hardware has never owned a Saleae device, and is just using the Saleae software. And that is quite a bit worse.

As a general rule, I do not buy from overseas. My wife ordered some Leather boots online and they took a month to arrive, directly from China. They were inexpensive knockoffs that looked like more expensive ones she had wanted a year ago but couldn't find now.

We call those "counterfeit" in legal terms. As in, fake, knock offs, swap meet Gucci, Folex and so on.

They aren't counterfeit unless they are sold as if they are the real thing. Knockoffs are different.

US workers will never work for what Chinese workers make. Even so, the standard of living in China has risen from what it was before.

I buy products if I think they are worth the price no matter where they are made. I'm one of those bad people who doesn't do much research into the source.

They aren't counterfeit unless they are sold as if they are the real thing. Knockoffs are different.

US workers will never work for what Chinese workers make. Even so, the standard of living in China has risen from what it was before.

I buy products if I think they are worth the price no matter where they are made. I'm one of those bad people who doesn't do much research into the source.

The CBP that work inbound shipments seize a boatload, literally, of fake stuff daily. All it takes is a slip in the crack and it's through though. Ereything thing from honey to clothes to toothpaste to you name it.

The CBP that work inbound shipments seize a boatload, literally, of fake stuff daily. All it takes is a slip in the crack and it's through though. Ereything thing from honey to clothes to toothpaste to you name it.
I agree that fake stuff sold as if it was the brand of a real manufacturer is counterfeit. But I have bought boots that looked like an expensive pair that were obviously knockoffs and branded as such. I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't need some things to last forever.

I can see both sides. I love to help "neighbors" out when I can, but there's some stuff that's just too cheap to ignore from overseas.

The epitome of this is textiles. Spike sent me a very nice link to a US manufacturer of clothing. I'm on their mailing list for their spam. They need $70 for a pair of blue jeans that I can get nearly the equivalent of at WalMart for $9.98.

That delta is just too big to be ignored in a personal budget.

Electronics stuff also is frankly too cheap not to deal directly with China.

But I usually order one just to tear apart and see if it's actually safe, if it's connected at all to mains power. LOTS of really dangerous designs out there on the cheap stuff. If it's battery operated and not drawing much current, as in, it's unlikely to have enough energy to catch fire, I won't bother opening it up to look either. Have to know a little electronic design to do that, however.

The latest DC motor for $1.48 total shipped from China to repair the vacuum robot is here. Took three weeks. I don't have time to solder it in tonight, but it's another example of too-cheap-to-ignore.

Dats OK. I'll take the 2 oz bottle of hair shampoo from the next hotel I stay at.

My dad had an entire grocery bag of the things and little bars of soap after decades as a traveling sales guy. I thought it was great. I had a lifetime supply of soap.

My wife isn't quite the cheapskate that I am, so she made me throw it all out. Lame.

Now I have to pay for Dial bars in bulk like once a year from Amazon. Stupid. I should have moved them to the garage. Haha.

I'm not gonna lie - I have not paid for bar soap or shampoo since 2004ish. My business travel is way down in the past couple years though. Maybe a one week trip every other month or so these days. On the other hand, I still have around a half million Hilton points from staying in the Hilton in Vienna (Austria, not Virginia...) for something like 120 nights in 2011.

I actually know a guy who built a HOUSE with Lowes gift cards that he got using points from staying in the Best Western in Mt. Orab, Ohio for the better part of 3 years.

I actually know a guy who built a HOUSE with Lowes gift cards that he got using points from staying in the Best Western in Mt. Orab, Ohio for the better part of 3 years.

Good lord that's a lot of a very crappy hotel. LOL.

Make sure you have passwords for all those points programs accessible to any beneficiaries. Paper printout in the safe deposit box works.

Usually the programs say they have to be used while you're alive. They won't even transfer them to spouses for the most part. Or they'll charge them to buy them.

A spouse with your username and password looks as alive to their computers as you do, and as long as they also have your email username and password, they can even reset the silly things.

LOL. Make sure the sleazebags pay up even if you croak, I say. That stuff was earned through having to live in their hotels, and in their airline seats, and is as good as real money. Make sure it passes on.

When I was traveling a lot, making sure someone got to have some fun for all the nights of the "name that stain" game in the hotel rooms in lovely places like New Jersey, if I keeled over on a trip, would have been a high priority. :)

I'm not gonna lie - I have not paid for bar soap or shampoo since 2004ish. My business travel is way down in the past couple years though. Maybe a one week trip every other month or so these days. On the other hand, I still have around a half million Hilton points from staying in the Hilton in Vienna (Austria, not Virginia...) for something like 120 nights in 2011.

On top of that, he got to have Eastern Cincinnati Aviation's(from I69 home of Sporty's) planes flying over all the time. Where I did my training in 2008.

Good lord that's a lot of a very crappy hotel. LOL.

For sure, for general travelers. The hotel actually set him up reasonably well, they had a commitment from the company that it would be a long term gig. They converted two adjacent rooms into a suite and gave him decent furniture. He liked that area because it was the last vestiges of civilization from Cincinnati, where you could still find a grocery store and some chain restaurants. Also, any further east and they were all dry counties.

I did a lot of travel to support the same project, up to a month at a time, and usually around 2 weeks. My pick was the Comfort Inn, in Seaman OH. (Population 944) Bumble-F nowhere with nothing around, but still a half hour drive from where we were working, and that was the absolute closest hotel you could get. I usually find Comfort Inns to be worn down and kind grimy (that breakfast bar uggh), but this one is very well run, friendly staff, well maintained and clean.

The real gem is that sometimes in the offseason I could get in at this awesome B&B. http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/rooms.htm Most of the staff was Amish, almost all the food was locally grown or raised, and cooked perfectly... http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/dinner.htm http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/dinner-menu.html In a dry county, but they had a license for on-premises consumption for overnight guests.

Make sure you have passwords for all those points programs accessible to any beneficiaries. Paper printout in the safe deposit box works.

Good point, thanks!

Last edited:
Either that, or a very crappy house.

It was a decent but small place for his mother, in a rural area on the outskirts of Foley, AL, so not exactly an expensive area. And that was just to cover the cost of materials. He did the majority of the labor himself.

Impressive thread drift......

From Chinese crap to counterfeit goods to house construction and B&Bs..........Nice.

Impressive thread drift......

From Chinese crap to counterfeit goods to house construction and B&Bs..........Nice.
I am bad for TD. Sorry. We're enjoying each others company though.

Back