Buying New

Mooney has a new program where they pay all of your maintenance on your new Mooney for three years.

Ohhh. LOL thought you meant Mooney’s we’re not susceptible to maintenance or something

Being as there is no graceful way of exiting a Cherokee, I've just accepted that I'll never look good.

Yeah, rolling out of the door onto all fours on the Mooney wingwalk, is NOT how the rich and famous arrive!

New airplanes have their own share of maintenance woes. The only new airplane that you won't pay maintenance for is a Mooney.

Shouldn't be paying much maintenance for any of the new birds, they should be under warranty. The labor part of annual and wearable items (tires/brakes) should be all you pay out of pocket.

Build your own. E-AB provides for it. Or rebuild your own. Strip that certificated plane down to bare metal and put it back together with new parts the way you want it. I have one of each.

Wouldn't want one. Not big on outdated technology.

How’s that? What’s outdated? There’s probably not a more sought after airplane model for utility flying in off airport conditions. That may not apply to your life but it applies to mine. If all I could get was the “civilized” nose wheel airplanes most of you guys fly? I’d quit flying. Because your airplanes won’t do what I need.

One of the Cub clones cruises my my Mooney's cruising speed but can still land on the shortest of strips. That's what I call modern technology.

That's hilarious. Vintage airplanes have more in common with new ones than not. Sure brand new jets have evolved a lot but there is still a whole lot of 2024 aluminum bent into shapes and riveted together, pretty much exactly the same as they did in the 1940s.

All the chem milled panels and carbon fiber fairings crap on jets just makes replacement parts a lot more expensive, no thanks.

I think its the Carbon Cub, but don't quote me.

The fastest Carbon Cub cruises at 145 mph... You are also comparing a 2 place to a 4 place. A bearhwak can match that and it's by no means modern technology

One of the Cub clones cruises my my Mooney's cruising speed but can still land on the shortest of strips. That's what I call modern technology.

Why make a comment if you don’t know what you’re talking about? ;)

Fast requires low drag, so small tires. Short in the real world isn’t about improved surfaces so big tires prevail. In fact the things that make planes like mine fly slow and land short are all about drag. But heck, all I have is a state of the art new Cub and an outdated 180 so what would I know?

My 180 (stock airframe/tires) cruises nearly as fast as your mooney (140ktas) and will land and takeoff in 500 feet with a useful load of nearly 1300 lbs. That's not to mention a 185 which will cruise FASTER than your Mooney. To me it sounds like your plane is outdated technology, it only has one side of the spectrum (and even then it's mediocre) not both.

My 180 (stock airframe/tires) cruises nearly as fast as your mooney (140ktas) and will land and takeoff in 500 feet with a useful load of nearly 1300 lbs. That's not to mention a 185 which will cruise FASTER than your Mooney. To me it sounds like your plane is outdated technology, it only has one side of the spectrum (and even then it's mediocre) not both.

Ohhhhhh

81205691-289F-47D9-8F30-3DCDD8C0BEF1.gif

Shouldn't be paying much maintenance for any of the new birds, they should be under warranty. The labor part of annual and wearable items (tires/brakes) should be all you pay out of pocket.
A warranty covers (generally) defects in workmanship or materials that originate from the manufacturer, not preventative maintenance. So oil changes, anuals, worn brake pads, flat spotted tires, fouled plugs, etc. are on the owner (unless you have some sort of pre-paid plan, such as BMW or Mooney). A radio on the fritz, or a sticky valve in the engine, or a piece of trim coming loose, are the kinds of things that are covered by the warranty.

I can't relate. My '73 Arrow has been a real sweetheart when it comes to dispatch rate. The thing has left me stranded off-station exactly ZERO times. It really doesn't get better than that.
I was going to write something like this about my '69 Mooney, but then I remembered how my electric pump keeled over. I didn't have any passengers, so I started the plane without priming and returned to base with just the main pump. And then it was a saga of getting my pump overhauled.

I fly a pretty recent airplane (2012) but even it is powered by pretty outdated piston technology. And a brand spanking new, just rolled out of the factory, G6 Cirrus would have the same antiquated powerplant. Let's face it, unless you spend the $$$ to get into a jet or some turboprops, you are definitely flying outdated technology.

Poor guy owns a Cessna... and can only afford to live in a tent. :7)

Real outdated.
img_20180811_174759-jpg.66488

Seriously great & awesome pic. Looks like real fun.

I fly a pretty recent airplane (2012) but even it is powered by pretty outdated piston technology. And a brand spanking new, just rolled out of the factory, G6 Cirrus would have the same antiquated powerplant. Let's face it, unless you spend the $$$ to get into a jet or some turboprops, you are definitely flying outdated technology.
Or you could buy a Diamond, powered by modern Mercedes-Benz diesels!

Back