Buying ex Civil Air Patrol aircraft.

Ashara Keliyn

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ashara
I have spent several hours going through all the logbooks of 3 different aircraft that were previously flown for CAP. All the records were there, everything well documented, engines never missed an overhaul (whether hours or years), maintenance performed on time, etc. And yet the prices are way less than comparable aircraft (year, model, avionics, TTAF) with questionable maintenance records. What's the catch?

I bought an ex-CAP C172. Loved it. Condition was excellent. Engine is still going strong today with its new owner, my mechanic, 1000+ hours past TBO.

I have been involved with CAP aircraft maintenance at my squadron for years, and CAP headquarters has strict maintenance requirements, with online tracking to make sure that those requirements are met. As for pricing of airplanes that are sold, I have no clue.

And yet the prices are way less than comparable aircraft (year, model, avionics, TTAF) with questionable maintenance records. What's the catch?
Do they repaint before they sell? Or do they still have the CAP paint scheme when it hits the market?

No real catch. Fed and State agencies sell similar stuff that’s well maintained, to.

Keep in mind these were all working planes, so high times to go with well doc’d maintenance.

Do they repaint before they sell? Or do they still have the CAP paint scheme when it hits the market?
From your reply I assume that the PS should be changed. How about just painting over the seals, logos and any other CAP identifiers?

No real catch. Fed and State agencies sell similar stuff that’s well maintained, to.

Keep in mind these were all working planes, so high times to go with well doc’d maintenance.
...which is preferable over a low time / low time since overhaul, but done when "Rubber Soul" was in top of the charts, no?

All the ones I have seen have had any CAP logos removed before sale, and you can just fly it as received. They are still in the CAP red/white/blue colours, so it's clear where they came from, but no logos etc.

There's no catch - they are considered surplus under Federal rules and pricing is different. If you like the colors, keep them. There's a 172 at KCFO that is always mistaken for a CAP airplane because the paint scheme is close but not exactly the same as CAP.

If I wanted a 172 or 182, I'd definitely consider a CAP surplus - excellently cared for, and complete logs. One annoyance we all have - even senior CAP members who are A&Ps are not allowed to do ANYTHING. Even an oil change must be performed by an authorized shop.

Met a guy who owned a former California Highway Patrol 206. It had eight or nine overhauls, and he said the manuals and logs weighed 70 pounds.

Met a guy who owned a former California Highway Patrol 206. It had eight or nine overhauls, and he said the manuals and logs weighed 70 pounds.
CAP engines are usually replaced at 2000 hrs. Sometimes allowed at most one overhaul.

Just curious, where do you find these advertised for sale?

The insignia are removed but the overall paint scheme remains.

There is a seaplane school in FL that has an obviously former CAP Maule. Same paint scheme and xxCP tail number.

For one thing, they are almost always high a/f time.

Also, the money isn't going into the sellers pocket, it's OPM. Selling those planes is just someone's job and the job is easier if the prices are low.

Some of the nicest, and nicest equipped planes I have seen were ex government planes (usually FBI). My problem was that I could never find one when I was looking for one. And sometimes, well equipped does not mean modern.

There are 2 182s for sale now, under $150k

There are 2 182s for sale now, under $150k
Yep...so what's the catch? Although both are out or annual, but otherwise great maintenance records and I've seen a lot worse being sold for a lot more. 5-6k hours on a properly maintained plane is not that much. Plus I assume the pilots who flew those are far more experienced than the student pilots, yet ex-flight school 172s with twice the time are going for almost the same.

The pilots may not be that much more experienced. A number of just after Private are flying for CAP. And CAP 172s are used for primary training (not full time like a flight school though).

Call John Calhoun at Fresh Aircraft in Phoenix…great guy and will give you a straight answer. He sold my aircraft for me recently and can’t say enough positive about the guy. They sell all the CAP aircraft. He also brokers 3-400 other sales a year…busy guy…find their websight and he has an email as well.

Back