Buying a T210m need IFR avionics upgrade

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
I have a30k budget what would you do ???

currently equipment. All functions
Apollo sl15m audio panel
Apollo sl30 nav/com
Garmin 200 mfd
Apollo gx60 gps/com
Apollo sl70 transponder
Cessna 400a auto pilot
Collins nav
Thanks for the help getting back in the air after a few years away excited. Jon

Congrats! Great airplanes, the 210 (even if the wing is bolted on in the wrong place :D )
By the way... :needpics:

If everything is working I'd just tuck the money away and fly the airplane for a few months. See how you actually use the plane, compared to how you think you will use it. Then start considering how to improve the panel, as you'll be in a better position to determine the best value for you for your $ spent.

You didn't indicate if it is ADS-B Out equipped? If not, the one thing you might want to consider is a GNX 375 GPS/transponder as an upgrade now.

And be ready to spend money on some non-avionics things in the first little while. Very few used airplanes of that vintage are maintained "perfectly", so some things will almost certainly show up in the first few months.

Last edited:
I have a30k budget what would you do ???
The big question is whether you fly in ADS-B rule airspace.
Unless the GX60 comes out, he'd be drilling a new hole for the GPS antenna. But pulling the GX60 means he'd be down a COM, so budget another radio and unless it fits in the SL70 space, more rack space.

Thanks. It is Adsb out. It will be used as cross country missions for business.

The big question is whether you fly in ADS-B rule airspace.

Unless the GX60 comes out, he'd be drilling a new hole for the GPS antenna. But pulling the GX60 means he'd be down a COM, so budget another radio and unless it fits in the SL70 space, more rack space.
I was looking at the 375 looks like it might fit in the Apollo60 space

Thanks. It is Adsb out. It will be used as cross country missions for business.

Then I would just leave well enough alone for now. Fly the plane a while.

...Unless the GX60 comes out, he'd be drilling a new hole for the GPS antenna. But pulling the GX60 means he'd be down a COM, so budget another radio and unless it fits in the SL70 space, more rack space.

Good point, but given the airplane is already ADS-B compliant, perhaps a GNC 355 or GTN 650 might be the better option to swap in for the GX60 in that instance, but the latter will certainly use up much of the $30k budget.

Then I would just leave well enough alone for now. Fly the plane a while.

Good point, but given the airplane is already ADS-B compliant, perhaps a GNC 355 or GTN 650 might be the better option to swap in for the GX60 in that instance, but the latter will certainly use up much of the $30k budget.
Tail beacon adsb out. The GX60 can’t be updated so not leagal for IFR

The GNC355 would certainly be the budget solution, but I would be inclined to spend a little bit more on the GNX375 and say perhaps a Trig TY96A or SL40 to go where the SL70 used to be. With the GNX375 you can use the knobs to do useful things like switch pages, zoom in/out, etc while on the GNC355 it becomes more stuck to changing frequencies. Plus, the GNC355 loses the CDI and a data display field compared to the GNX375. And on top of it all, you gain ADS-B In with the GNX375.

The Tailbeacon still has resale value (about $1500 used, I think) as does the SL70 (about $500 used, I think) so that would offset some of the cost of a GNX375 vs GNC355.

Oh, one other thing... I seem to recall that the PS Engineering PMA7000BT is a slide-in replacement for the SL-15M to get you Bluetooth and a couple extra intercom modes.

Wow, sounds very close to my old panel. Congrats on the new plane. Good luck fitting anything in SL70 slot, but think you got a lot of panel space to play around.

New guy. I bought a T210F about a year ago and had a new panel put in. I can’t tell you what to put in, but I know a guy who does great work and is familiar with the airframe, if that can help you at some point in your quest. Good luck with your new plane.

Tail beacon adsb out. The GX60 can’t be updated so not leagal for IFR

The GX60 can't be used for approaches if it's not updated, but it can be used for enroute. Read the AFMS.

In any event, the SL30 is an easy "keep." That's a good nav/com.

I'd then consider a GNX375, get rid of the old transponder and sell the TailBeacon.

I'd also put in a pair of G5s. You might get that done for $30k. Let's see:

Parts:
1) New audio panel (PS Engineering PMA450b): $2,200
2) GNX375: $8,000
3) Dual G5s: $5500
4) GTR200/225: $2000 (get the 200 if you can convince your shop a TSO isn't necessary)
4) Misc. parts (fittings, wiring, etc.): $1,000
Total Parts: $18,700

That leaves just over $11,000 for labor and other "while you're in there" things. Add back in another $1-1500 that you'll recapture from selling the old stuff and you might get it done.

Edited to add a second Comm.

Last edited:
Parts:
1) New audio panel (PS Engineering PMA450b): $2,200
2) GNX375: $8,000
3) Dual G5s: $5500
4) Misc. parts (fittings, wiring, etc.): $1,000
Total Parts: $16,700
You forgot COM2

The SL30 is as nice of a comm radio that has come down the road. Garmin kept it for a good long time after they absorbed Apollo.
Perhaps I'm missing something in your list, but I don't see ADSB capability. The SL70 isn't even mode S. Though it was a solid Mode C back in the day.
The GMX200 is sill supported. It's not quite as moribund as the MX20, but it is showing its age.
The GX60 is ancient. You'd want a WAAS unit

The SL30 is COM1. The GX60 is(was) COM2
I assumed the GX60 was going. I'd still keep the SL30. It's still a nice radio even compared to the newer Garmin units mentioned and again, you need a LOC/GS receiver somewhere in this system in my opinion.

I assumed the GX60 was going. I'd still keep the SL30. It's still a nice radio even compared to the newer Garmin units mentioned and again, you need a LOC/GS receiver somewhere in this system in my opinion.

The GNX375 doesn't have a Com. So if he gets rid of the GX60 and gets a 375, he's still only got 1 com.

Back