Buying a LSA. Good idea?

I understand Bristell B23s are currently going thorough a bout of unexplained partial engine failures in Europe. Germany’s LBA, Switzerland’s BAZL and Austro Control have formed task force to draw EASA attention to Rotax 912 reliability issues that may also extend to Tecnam and Aquila planes, but that’s not clear. Bristell thinks it’s fuel related and has released a SB on 91UL but again there is data that indicates the issue is independent of fuel type. Seems to be a bit of a mess brewing, time will tell.
What is a "partial engine failure"?

I started with a 172, out grew it in a few years (kids kept growing), bought a 182, now own a CTSW and love, love, love it. It fits my mission perfectly. Mostly aimless flights for the pure fun of it. Fuel burn or engine overhauls that will require donating a kidney are no longer at the center of my brain. I can throttle back and burn 3.5 gal/hr of non-ethanol auto gas. When going somewhere, I throttle forward and burn about 5.5 gal/hr but routinely go 120+ knots. Auto pilot and chute make XC flights safer imho. I flew a 172 the other week and it’s like driving a Buick through cement. A 182 is worse. If you want to go straight and level, and not have any fun, buy a 172/182. If you want a Miata, buy an LSA. Not very manly, but a heck of a lot of fun with very little costs compared to keeping an old relic, I mean legacy airplane flying.
I am on the lighter side, and I fit in my CTSW no problem. It’s no 182 in windy conditions, but the slippery aerodynamics make it handle winds pretty well. The more weight, the better on windy days. I have flown some lengthy flights of 6 hours and I’m in much better shape than my old 182 without an autopilot.
If you’re really tall or heavy set, you’ll probably need a 4 seater plane, but try some LSA’s on for size. I’m glad I did.

What is a "partial engine failure"?
Repeated instances of power loss, preparation for forced landing, sometimes followed by recovery of power for as yet undetermined reasons. Bristell has put out a SB advising to avoid UL91 fuel (but its viewed as grasping at straws by some)

Last edited:
Back