buying a Canadian registered airplane

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
anybody know what's involved in buying a Canadian registered airplane, getting it to the US and re-registered? Are there buying services that could walk you through this process?
thanks for the coaching
dan

anybody know what's involved in buying a Canadian registered airplane, getting it to the US and re-registered?
E/AB or TC'd aircraft? There's a couple previous threads on this that go over the options you have. If everything is order, its usually not a painful process but will require the use of a DAR to complete the paperwork for entry into the US.
Are there buying services that could walk you through this process?
There are shops along the border areas that offer these services to include arranging for a DAR.

There are a few past threads with decent detail on the process. How easy or difficult the import is varies depending on what kind of aircraft it is and how good the documentation is on it.

Generally speaking, the biggest hold up I’ve had with imports is getting the aircraft deregistered and registered in the US in a timely fashion.

It's easier if the plane was previously U.S. registered which a lot of Canadian planes were at one point.

Thanks. I appreciate the responses

Thanks. I appreciate the responses
I have just purchased a Cherokee 235 in Canada and have successfully imported it. Feel free to DM me and I’m happy to explain the process to you. It took an extra couple of weeks and cost a bit more but with the price I got for the plane in Canada it was well worth it. There are all sorts of little nuances aside from CofA’s export certs, annuals and FAA DAR’s. Some stuff (like getting a US Hex code for your ELT) isn’t thought of.

first thing to check is if it has been put in canada's owner maintenance program. that makes it a lot more complicated and expensive.

first thing to check is if it has been put in canada's owner maintenance program. that makes it a lot more complicated and expensive.

Actually makes it easier. "No soup for you!".

Actually makes it easier. "No soup for you!".
not to re-import to the us. the us has no like program, so an aircraft will have to go through a complete compliance check before a us A/W can be issued. because of the O-M status, the conformity inspection would be much more indepth than a standard catagory aircraft. it might be very difficult to even find a dar that would do it.

Makes it nearly impossible, and certainly uneconomical. There is no equivalent US category, which means that we can't fly O-M airplanes into the US. And the process for recertifying the airplane, engine and prop and just about everything else in it would easily outweigh the worth of the airplane. It all has to be pretty much rebuilt and recertified.

When the airplane is registered in the OM category, the serial numbers on the data plates on the engine and airframe, and on the prop, are suffixed with an "X." That alone gets complicated.

Makes it nearly impossible, and certainly uneconomical. There is no equivalent US category, which means that we can't fly O-M airplanes into the US. And the process for recertifying the airplane, engine and prop and just about everything else in it would easily outweigh the worth of the airplane. It all has to be pretty much rebuilt and recertified.

When the airplane is registered in the OM category, the serial numbers on the data plates on the engine and airframe, and on the prop, are suffixed with an "X." That alone gets complicated.

Yep. :)

yikes. I've heard a horror story like that from my A/P... and then I've heard that it's not a big deal from others. I appreciate the coaching.

The cost to go from owner maintained to a standard C of A would be big dollars. Unless you have an 'in' somewhere.

The original premise is good, but without the US buying in as well, it is pretty much a one way street.

Unless you have an 'in' somewhere.
Question. Its my understanding it takes a special approval from TCCA to go owner-maintained which will prevent any official deregistration for those who may try and sell/export those aircraft outside Canada. Any truth to that?

Question. Its my understanding it takes a special approval from TCCA to go owner-maintained which will prevent any official deregistration for those who may try and sell/export those aircraft outside Canada. Any truth to that?
I don't think there would be any trouble deregistering anything. If TC doesn't get your AAIR annually, after a few years they cancel the registration. You can also deregister if the airplane is taken out of service. https://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#s-202.57

AOPA’s website has instructions (used to, anyway. I haven’t searched to see if they are still there.)

I don't think there would be any trouble deregistering anything.
The reason I ask is we were working to export several aircraft to the US and one of the deregister applications was pinged as owner-maintained and was ineligible for deregistration in order to export. It was simple admin error on the C-reg but it highlighted that the owner-mx aircraft were tracked on a separate TCCA listing. Once we cleared the errors there was no problem but it did raise a few questions for the DAR. A similar issue happened when trying to export a couple of engines but once again was simply an error in the paperwork. Have yet to find any document that explains this other than what we went through.

Back