Buyer’s Agent/Broker

urquhart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
urquhart
When hiring a buyer’s agent/consultant when looking for an airplane, what is the fee structure- fixed or a % of purchase price? Do they assist with paperwork, $$ transfer, title search, etc?

Mine was 2k fixed. And he did all paperwork and log book review. I was a student and didn’t know jack (still don’t lol)

what is the fee structure- fixed or a % of purchase price? Do they assist with paperwork, $$ transfer, title search, etc?
Depends. Keep in mind a buyer's agent/consultant works for you the buyer and brokers tend to work both sides. The 3 consultants I did work for had tiered rates for different aircraft types and services. But their basic rate was fixed below $150K in most cases and included locating aircraft, prebuy, lien search, escrow, and delivery. The main thing is to get their rates/services down on paper and that you fully understand the terms. And depending on aircraft you might try inquiring through type clubs for recommendations.

Mine charge by the hour, and provided transition training.

When hiring a buyer’s agent/consultant when looking for an airplane, what is the fee structure- fixed or a % of purchase price? Do they assist with paperwork, $$ transfer, title search, etc?

I charge an hourly rate for most things, like the record review, purchase consulting, etc. When traveling I have a day rate which usually applies if I am going the pre-purchase physical inspection and may or may not apply to transition flight training.

Everyone can come up with their own structure and no two airplane purchases are the same. So really there's no "standard", at least that I've seen.

When I help people buy airplanes I generally charge a fee for theoretical discussions ("You want to buy a [insert aircraft type], here are pros and cons, let's talk about your mission, maybe you should also consider [something else]"). That's generally a flat rate. Then if I go to look at an airplane that involves some level of traveling it'll generally be a daily rate plus expenses as appropriate, and I'll include any test flights I perform as part of that. Locally I may just charge an hourly rate. Then for transitioning, same deal - day or hourly rate depending on location, travel, etc.

Assisting with paperwork, title search, etc., again depends. There are companies that handle title search and escrow that are well-oiled machines. Normally what I'd more do is help people in identifying those companies if so desired. Helping with determining appropriate pricing and terms? Yes, that's part of what I do at least, and I think something a buyer's agent should do, although ultimately the decision rests with the buyer.

Back