Buy now or wait buyers market

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Trade-A-Plane is as thick as I have ever seen full of adds for sale. Lots of for sale signs on planes around and their not moving. Is this a buyers market or what. Unless you have a nice low time plane no fixer uppers your going to sit on what you have unless you are willing to sell it at bargain price. Twin sales are almost nonexistent and high performance planes are at bargain prices. Is this the time to buy or should one wait and see what shakes out:redface:?

Trade-A-Plane is as thick as I have ever seen full of adds for sale. Lots of for sale signs on planes around and their not moving. Is this a buyers market or what. Unless you have a nice low time plane no fixer uppers your going to sit on what you have unless you are willing to sell it at bargain price. Twin sales are almost nonexistent and high performance planes are at bargain prices. Is this the time to buy or should one wait and see what shakes out:redface:?
You should buy at the price and value appropriate for your situation at the time you buy, and at no other time. From my perspective, there are NO good prices at the current time- but I was last into the market in 1997 and I bought my then runout Seneca II for about $38,000 needing EVERYTHING done to it. I do come through the "front" door for most of my maintenence, however, which is the MAJOR expense of ownership, not purchase.

Value hound. I think I make TD and JW look like expensive retail.

Brien:

Just depends what you need, can afford and when. We just purchased a P-Baron. It had been on the market since the first of the year. Can you tell me what oil prices will do? Interest rates? Job creation? Any wars coming, ending? There are a lot of factors that affect large capital expenditures; these are a few. The used plane market can't be benefiting from what's going on in the oil (avgas) market. Just like getting a new computer; look at what you need, when you need it and get a good price for the conditions at the time.

Now, to sell the A-36!!

Best,

Dave

Brien:

Just depends what you need, can afford and when. We just purchased a P-Baron. It had been on the market since the first of the year. Can you tell me what oil prices will do? Interest rates? Job creation? Any wars coming, ending? There are a lot of factors that affect large capital expenditures; these are a few. The used plane market can't be benefiting from what's going on in the oil (avgas) market. Just like getting a new computer; look at what you need, when you need it and get a good price for the conditions at the time.

Now, to sell the A-36!!

Best,

Dave

Dave and Doc summed it up well as usual. I bought my second plane about four months after 9/11 when many thought GA as we know it would go away. I paid what I thought was a fair market price. I didn't get any special "deal" due to world conditions or the economy. The economy right now is actually pretty good, except for the price of crude oil and gasoline. It may be somewhat of a buyers market for certain planes, but I agree with the others, look at your needs and buy something you can afford to maintain. Do not just buy because of perceived market conditions. The purchase price is only the beginning.

Depends on the plane. If a nice looking, appropriately priced Tiger goes 2 issues of T-A-P, there is something wrong with it.

brien23 said:

Could you give us an idea on which type of plane you are looking at?

Back