Buy FAA printed books or download free?

ted6357

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tedy3
The downloads are free, but they are humonguous and very difficult to read in their unbound state. Unless you have a friend who owns a bindery, buy the books. Having said that, the online versions are kept up-to-date and you should check them occasionally for changes.

Bob Gardner

It depends if you're a digital reader or need a paper copy. Some folks can't stand e-readers; others are fine.

Personally I see no need to carry around the weight of the books.

I download them in either iBooks or the Documents section of ForeFlight, and it works fine for me that way. However, if you aren't happy with e-readers, you're better off buying the paper copies.

I usually download. If I really like it, I buy it. The new IPH is great.

Download and read on the iPad. Works great. And I always have them with me, since I take my ipad more places than I take my wife at this point.

It depends if you're a digital reader or need a paper copy. Some folks can't stand e-readers; others are fine.

Personally I see no need to carry around the weight of the books.

:yeahthat: I keep them in my ForeFlight documents. But some people still prefer a physical book.

I downloaded them to my tablet, printed some at work.

I downloaded and have in Foreflight. If I want to read a section on paper, I print the applicable pages.

I keep the free version on my tablet, but always have a bound copy handy for reference and if I want to read something.

I have been very slow to move away from paper books, but now that I have an IPad with Foreflights document reader, I download most all my books and read them on the IPad. It helps offset the cost of the IPad. I fully expect that there are free doc reader apps available if you don't have Foreflight.

Sorry Bob.

That's pretty much it. If you prefer paper for reading and studying, it pays to buy the printed copy. If you don't, it doesn't. Seems simple doesn't it?

It's interesting the number of "I'm thinking of eating ice cream; is chocolate or vanilla better?" questions that come up.

I have been very slow to move away from paper books, but now that I have an IPad with Foreflights document reader, I download most all my books and read them on the IPad. It helps offset the cost of the IPad. I fully expect that there are free doc reader apps available if you don't have Foreflight.
Since all those FAA texts are in PDF, your expectation fits perfectly with the reality. What are there, about a hundred free pdf readers out there?

Print off from a computer at work and put them in a 3 ring binder.

I have both since I like reading paper copies and as reference. Use the electronic ones when on the go.

Back