busting thru a tfr

beechcraft flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
beech pilot
what happens if you penetrate a tfr not talking to anyone and on a 1200 code. nearest atc is 30 miles away. My friend is concerned and is there a way to look at past tfr's ?

Tell your "friend" to file a NASA report right away.

What kind of TFR? was it a Stadium TFR? Those typically only go up to 3,000 feet AGL. Are they sure they went through and not over?

If they didn't have anyone waiting when they landed, then maybe they got lucky and got away with it. Either way, get a NASA report filed. https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/

not sure it was not a stadium tfr it was around kptv area in california

When was this? Not seeing any tfr's close. Unless it's for Beale

You should have been there in 2005 when there were two TFR's in effect in NOLA due to storm rescues and cleanup. ATC was provided by an AWAC. Then there was a third. It was a Presidential and it was a "moving TFR". But there was a major oil company's CEO on board a helo who had to get on scene of a major mess. The storm had wiped out a bunch of the company's crude storage tanks and it all went into a community. The Helo did not have the discrete XPNDR code and commo in general sucked. Mission was accomplished anyway. No violations were issued.

what happens if you penetrate a tfr not talking to anyone and on a 1200 code. nearest atc is 30 miles away. My friend is concerned and is there a way to look at past tfr's ?
it was around kptv area in california
I'm trying to imagine a place in California where there would be both a TFR and no ATC within 30 miles. (Actually, "no ATC within 30 miles" gets me all by itself.)

If you are asking, "can they find him if they want to?" the usual answer is "yes."

One of our now-deceased members told a story about a pilot who busted Class B. H turn off his transponder and flew wayyyyy out of the way to avoid detection. When he landed and walked into the FBO, "The FAA called looking for you."

As others said, file a NASA report. It might be a complete non-event but if not, there's never any harm submitting a NASA unless you do something stupid like describe criminal activity (for which you get no protection) or put identifying information in the narrative (giving up confidentiality).

Last edited:
That link only shows current NOTAMs.

Unexpired NOTAMs associated with a TFR.

The NOTAMS Search tool allows someone to select an archive search for a specific date, too.
f0bf936afb927e81d8b96f8f297d10ae.jpg

29e962c877e4b0038ee1d440f038bdcb.jpg

https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/

Not all TFRs are equal.

You graze the edge of a wildfire or stadium TFR, nobody is going to track you down.

You break POTUS airspace and fighters get scrambled, you are going to hear about it.

Back