Busted into Class C airspace for a moment

TVProducer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TVProducer
Hello All,

So had my first 'oops' as a Private Pilot. I was departing out of a Class D airport which had a Class C airspace right above it. I am climbing out and accidentally bust into the Class C shelf at 2,000. The Class D tower advised me. Hey, (callsign redacted) - just be advised - you're still in Class C airspace there, and you're uh starting to hit their shelf there, you're just gunna leave it now but be careful with that on the way out.

I filed a NASA report and submitted it as a backup, but I'm wondering if I should expect any enforcement on the violation. There wasn't any traffic in the area so no safety concern, and seemed like the tower controller was a 'nice guy' attitude just saying 'Hey, we will give you a break this time, just be careful' I responded, 'Yup Roger that, thanks for the advisory, we will talk to you again soon' he responded 'Have a good one.' Seemed like the controller was cool, and it may be a common issue with people departing out of that area from time to time. I think I will be fine.

I know no one here can tell the future but would love input. Thanks!

If they didn’t ask you to take a number then I think you are in the clear. Good call on the NASA report though. Take it as a great lesson. Now do that with a class B and you might have a bit more trouble.

Unless you caused a separation issue with an IFR target, than it’s unlikely there’s any cause for alarm. Sounds like the controller was understanding, so all is well. Consider it a learning lesson.

Rest easy, it happens.

If they didn’t ask you to take a number then I think you are in the clear. Good call on the NASA report though. Take it as a great lesson. Now do that with a class B and you might have a bit more trouble.

Funnily enough, I operate in the NY Class Bravo all the time, Skyline Route, Transitions over JFK, transitions over EWR, I know that airspace by heart and I'm so cautious. This airport admittedly I have not been exposed to enough and I should have reviewed the airspace a little closer. The one time I flew out of it before I immediately called up for FF and got a code so it was no issue, this time I wanted to Squawk and Talk VFR, so my mind lapsed on that, as 99% of my flights are with ATC.

Ah well, live and learn :)

FAR91.130 (c) (1) says:
"Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (bla bla foreign stuff) providing air traffic services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace."

So this might be where things get a bit gray. You don't exactly know if your class D is able to provide services in the class C that you busted. I've had one class D controller keep me on his frequency as I was transiting a different class D airspace and I've had approach controllers hand me off to a class D facility while I was still well inside class C, so I don't really know how that stuff works.

If the class D controller didn't give explicit instruction to remain outside class C, I think you're OK. But the NASA ASRS form is still a good idea nonetheless.

Edit: Your 2nd post went live just as I was finishing this post, and it sounds like you didn't yet have a code at the time so it's leaning more towards "oops".

FAR91.130 (c) (1) says:
"Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (bla bla foreign stuff) providing air traffic services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace."

So this might be where things get a bit gray. You don't exactly know if your class D is able to provide services in the class C that you busted. I've had one class D controller keep me on his frequency as I was transiting a different class D airspace and I've had approach controllers hand me off to a class D facility while I was still well inside class C, so I don't really know how that stuff works.

If the class D controller didn't give explicit instruction to remain outside class C, I think you're OK. But the NASA ASRS form is still a good idea nonetheless.

Edit: Your 2nd post went live just as I was finishing this post, and it sounds like you didn't yet have a code at the time so it's leaning more towards "oops".

I didn't call this time for FF - So I wouldn't have gotten a code anyway. Regardless - Seemed like the controller was cool and just a gentle reminder.. hey Class C is above you.

I concur with others, sounds like a friendly warning.....y'all be careful out there.

ATC took care of you, so no harm, no foul. Filing a NASA form is a good idea for both you and for aviation safety. There is no reason not to get a code from clearance delivery inside a class C veil then you get handed off to departure with no issues. Plus it really helps ATC plan arrivals and departures having better knowledge about what you are doing.

Just for clarification, even if this would have resulted in a pilot deviation, this does not mean it goes to enforcement.

As long as the airman cooperates, Pilot deviations are handled through the compliance action, which is either counseling or additional training.

In some cases you might even hear something like "Possible Pilot Deviation" followed by the getting a number to call. You wont get a call for this.

I might have clipped a class B more than a few months ago when climbing out of a D. I don’t know that I did but I was not on anyone’s frequency when I said “oh wait, the Bravo floor is X and I just blew by that in my climb.”

I think. Might have been wrong.

At a few locations clearance delivery from the Class D can issue your code and frequency for the Charlie and will advise you to change frequency at the appropriate time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back