Busted Checkride - New DPE

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Well as previously posted I busted my first PPL Checkride. The examiner stated it was one of the best Orals he has ever seen but thought I needed a little more work with my CFI. The winds were 16 direct cross and 23 gusts so I let it get to me.

My question is due to the fact we are having a difficult time rescheduling. My dates keep being pushed back because of schedule conflicts. We are on again then off again.

I Iiked the DPE and take responsibility for busing but am considering finding a new DPE that can fit me in sooner then later. Is it better to stay with the first DPE or is ok to switch to a new DPE that may be able to fit me in in the next week?

If you haven't any complaints about the first one and if it isn't too inconvenient to wait until you can get rescheduled... I'd wait... You may be better off as he will probably only test you on what he perceived as your weak areas... A new DPE will probably have you go thru it all over again...

The advantage to sticking with the first one is that A. You will only have to re-test what you failed. B. The fee will more than likely be less since it is a re-test.

If you go with another DPE (and it isn't like they all know each other) you will more than likely have to fly the whole test and pay the full fee.

edit: Hawk was a faster typist.
edit 2: With another DPE, you'd probably have to take the oral exam again too. ;)

Last edited:
If you decide to try another DPE, shoot me a message and I can give you the number of the guy who did mine. You would have to fly south a little, but not too far. He is really good and was very fair to me.

DISCLAIMER : I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE RETEST PROCESS WORKS.

I'd want to use the same DPE. This guy failed you on specific items a, b, & c. Go back and demonstrate a, b, & c. Done. Seems like a new guy would be starting from ground zero. Plus there's some satisfaction in proving yourself to the guy who said you weren't up to snuff.

Well as previously posted I busted my first PPL Checkride. The examiner stated it was one of the best Orals he has ever seen but thought I needed a little more work with my CFI. The winds were 16 direct cross and 23 gusts so I let it get to me.

My question is due to the fact we are having a difficult time rescheduling. My dates keep being pushed back because of schedule conflicts. We are on again then off again.

I Iiked the DPE and take responsibility for busing but am considering finding a new DPE that can fit me in sooner then later. Is it better to stay with the first DPE or is ok to switch to a new DPE that may be able to fit me in in the next week?

I would talk to the first DPE about scheduling constraints. If time is critical, the DPE can get special dispensation to do more than two checkrides in a day. Presumably you should be quick since you only need to retest the items you were unsat or didn't complete.

I think you try to work out a schedule if you can. Changing to a new DPE makes you an unknown quantity. Stick with the one who passed you on everything else, it should be real painless.

dtuuri

I think you try to work out a schedule if you can. Changing to a new DPE makes you an unknown quantity. Stick with the one who passed you on everything else, it should be real painless.

dtuuri

+1
What he said!

I would stay with the original DPE also. As mentioned, you already passed the oral and some of the items on the PTS. It'll go smoother this time. good luck Thomas!

Another vote for sticking it out with the same DPE if at all possible.

Well, overwhelmingly responses to stick wit the original DPE. He was a nice guy so it is an easy decision. Just want to get this done. All things that are awesome are worth waiting for I guess.

I would wait and in the mean time get up there as much as you can!

Weren't you asking a while back if your instructor was right for you, also? I think you just need to reaffirm your confidence and become PIC (in spirit fir now, for real on your practical) and you'll be just fine. Best of luck. Hang in there and you'll be done before yo know it!

Weren't you asking a while back if your instructor was right for you, also? I think you just need to reaffirm your confidence and become PIC (in spirit fir now, for real on your practical) and you'll be just fine. Best of luck. Hang in there and you'll be done before yo know it!

Actually yes. And the school did change my instructor but not because I asked, but because they had a personnel change. And it worked out awesome. My old instructor and I get along great and keep up with each other. My new instructor is awesome and his style is great for my learning style.

I wasn't not looking at changing DPE for any other reason then wanted to get it done and it has been pushed back a few weeks. Other then that, the process has been great.

Actually yes. And the school did change my instructor but not because I asked, but because they had a personnel change. And it worked out awesome. My old instructor and I get along great and keep up with each other. My new instructor is awesome and his style is great for my learning style.

I wasn't not looking at changing DPE for any other reason then wanted to get it done and it has been pushed back a few weeks. Other then that, the process has been great.
With those winds, why did you decide to fly the checkride?

By your own admission he didn't fail you on some BS thing. He failed you because you couldn't perform to the PTS on the day that YOU decided conditions were ok to fly... Work on Xwinds a few hours, make sure any other concerns he had are up past PTS and go pass it with the original DPE.

A new DPE probably will retest a lot, and will have other focus areas. But Xwinds and Emergency procedures are always going to get attention.

By your own admission he didn't fail you on some BS thing. He failed you because you couldn't perform to the PTS on the day that YOU decided conditions were ok to fly... Work on Xwinds a few hours, make sure any other concerns he had are up past PTS and go pass it with the original DPE.

A new DPE probably will retest a lot, and will have other focus areas. But Xwinds and Emergency procedures are always going to get attention.

Make sure to practice slow flight since that's what you failed on.

For some reason I thought he failed at Xwinds..

if you do choose to go with a different DPE, ask him what you can expect to do...I'm sure most will only require the items you failed and/or didn't complete. There's no real compelling reason for a new DPE to do more than he has to.

That being said, even though you successfully completed, say, preflight, starting, and taxiing, you'll still have to do those things before you can get to crosswind landings no matter which DPE you use, and it's still part of the check.

And - 16G23 crosswinds are no joke. But you say you didn't get pinked for crosswind? Congrats.

Very strong winds make more than just landings challenging on a checkride. You have ground reference maneuvers as well as tracking navaids to deal with and winds gusting over 20 knots make everything more difficult. A PPSEL candidate is well within his rights to discontinue a checkride for any reason he believes conditions are beyond any he would accept as a newly certificated pilot. Winds above the max demonstrated xwind for the aircraft would certainly warrant a discontinuance if requested. Sometimes aborting a flight shows more pilot judgement than blustering forward. Not saying you made the wrong decision, just emphasizing that it sometimes takes more guts to say "no, let's do this another day."

I had to choose to cancel my first IR ride for winds gusting into the 30s. And it took me months to be able to free up MY schedule to go back and do it.

I stuck with the original DPE and plan for multiple reasons, but one of them was, "He's already heard me say I want to not do this on a really stupid day to be doing this." It's a tiny leg up in that person's head.

In your case I would stick with the original and be really really careful not to choose a poor day to fly the ride.

The decision to continue in gusts to over 20 is a little questionable and the DPE probably raised an eyebrow and decided to see what you could do. You set yourself up to absolutely have to nail everything, in a way of thinking. He liked what he saw up to a point, per your description, so I'd just go back and finish it off with him.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid!

There are a lot of people here saying to stick with DPE #1, and I have to say I agree with all of them 100%. and with that being said many have mentioned he will re-test you only on what you failed. let me clear that part up also, he can at his discretion only retest you on the failed parts. he has the right to make you take the whole thing over if he likes. hopefully he will be nice and only have you to repeat those that you failed.

which came first, the busted checkride or your screen name? seems like you were destined to do it over and nail it the second time!

If you believe you were treated fairly ,stick with the original DPE.

I think you need to develop a little more patience. There are days and there will be more days that staying on the ground is a better idea than flying. I would never recommend to anyone to take their check ride on a day like the one you describe.

I also busted my first checkride. Before I was ready to retest, my first DPE quit giving checkrides. The do-over with a different DPE was not an issue at all.

I see a lot of mis-information here.
Re-testing with a different DPE is the same as re-testing with the original DPE. Only the failed/unfinished maneuvers are tested. The discontinuation letter mentions areas for re-test.

I see a lot of mis-information here.
Re-testing with a different DPE is the same as re-testing with the original DPE. Only the failed/unfinished maneuvers are tested. The discontinuation letter mentions areas for re-test.

Usually this is the practice but not necessarily. From the FAA's guidance to DPEs: "An applicant for retesting may receive credit for those areas of operation satisfactorily completed; however, an examiner may re-examine an applicant on any area of operation required for the certificate or rating sought. If an examiner has reason to doubt an applicant’s competence in areas of operation for which the applicant received credit during a previous test, or if more than
60 days have elapsed since the previous practical test, the examiner must re-examine the applicant on all areas of operation required for that certificate or rating." (emphasis added by me)

So if more than 60 days have elapsed from the failed checkride, the examiner will re-examine everything. If the retest is less than 60 days, it's up to the discretion of the examiner to re-examine anything beyond any failed areas provided all other areas were successfully completed earlier.

Back