Busted an Alert Area

I tried to bust an ex-girlfriends 'alert area'.......lemme tell u, if u think a call from the tower is scary.......

I don't think the BFR is supposed to be a beating.

It's not. It's just the FAA's way of affirming you know what you need to know.

Mine was a 75 minute conversation covering the required areas and discussing a few items I was weak on or expressed curiosity.

Then an hour flight doing some PTS work, a simulated emergency, and a few other bits.

Oh and I legitimately wasn't sure about the alert area.
I was taking my BFR and one of the things he brought up was staying out of the alert areas because they are unsafe for GA traffic.

Obviously KRAS is in the middle of one so it can't be avoided but I always thought they were like MOA. Go around if you can or go through but keep your head on a swivel.

I didn't think they were as big a deal as this gentleman was making it out to be.

I'm surprised you didn't pull the shoot when entering the alert area. Isn't that standard Cirrus protocol? :dunno:

I'm surprised you didn't pull the shoot when entering the alert area. Isn't that standard Cirrus protocol? :dunno:

You are supposed to but I am a rebel.
Now if I bounce a landing...

Yup. Lesson learned.
It was a 2 hour talk, way more intense than my PPL oral.

Next go round I amusing my original CFI.
I dont think the BFR is supposed to be a beating.

I'm sure you are capable of amusing your original CFI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some Alert Areas are huge. No way I'm going around them.

Also, like MOAs, not all Alert Areas are created equal. A-685 in north GA is a waste of an Alert Area. Besides a few UH-60s & UH-72s that serve the Ranger camp, nothing goes on there. However, A-211 in lower AL has probably over a hundred Army helos flying around (day / night) at low / mid level and some not talking to ATC. There are HLZs located all around that place. Keep your head on a swivel.

Find out from the local pilots about your Alert Areas and how busy they are. Make your decision based on that along with your own personal risk assessment.

Chute...:dunno::idea:.......;)

I think you got my play on words......or no? :sosp:

Shoot....military targeting of said Cirrus.....chute....parachute..... Play on words? :cornut:

Now if I bounce a landing...

Not possible. I distinctly remember grading your landings and had to ask if we were on the ground or was this just an extended float to parking.

I think you got my play on words......or no? :sosp:

Shoot....military targeting of said Cirrus.....chute....parachute..... Play on words? :cornut:

ha......
I get it now....:redface::redface:..

It is Monday.. and it's been a loonngg day....:(

No the story is way more boring.
I landed at a planned fuel stop in Jackson Co near Victoria.

As soon as we landed, a dog with the biggest set of nuts I have ever seen jumps up on the wing and begs for attention. It was a black lab with even bigger blacker nuts. We couldn't not talk about them for the rest of the flight. It was like the elephant nuts in the room.

Oh so we stopped for fuel.

I had been on FF and the prior controller said "When you get back up ring Hou Ctr on xxx.xx"

I got up and tried that freq. but no dice
Then I tried the freq. listed in the afd for Jackson Co.
It also didn't work.

So I called the former controller and he advised I try Corpus.
That worked.

It is a far more boring story that way. Cept for the part about the dog nuts.

Dog humps airplane. Film on the 11 O'clock eyewitness news

.........Find out from the local pilots about your Alert Areas and how busy they are. Make your decision based on that along with your own personal risk assessment.

Yup. Local knowledge is always best. You can call ahead to local FBO's, Flight Schools and Airport managers.

Back