Bunch of old cessnas in pieces..

Ed LeClair

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FastEddie313
Old man died and they are having an estate sale not far from me..

their are like 4-5 cessna bodies, 3 flat 6 air cooled engines (maybe more), whole stack of wings, all sorts of parts..

What is the value in these parts?
What is one of the flat 6 engines worth?
Would any of it be worth my time to rehome/flip?

I might go visit the place again, what should I find out and how do I tell the exact models of these engines and chassis parts that I should be interested in?

I have done a couple car part outs and am quite mechanically incline despite being very ignorant of airplanes..

I wanna build a treehouse next to our runway using a fuselage and s couple wings. How much they want for that stuff?

Without specifics, it's hard to say. Need model/serial #s, conditions, etc.

Aircraft engines have log books to track the maintenance, modifications, service, etc. Without those logs the engines are worth a lot less. If it's just a pile of engines that weren't pickled for storage and don't have logs, they're likely worth very little.

Their are a couple fuselage rollers missing the noses, tails, and wings.. Couple also missing the front landing gear..
Stack of about 8 wings with no flaps on them, couple tails..

I didn't ask about prices yet.. Actually I am interested in the house/property itself mostly and was asking about that, and bought a timing light that actually works..

Prices might be stupid cheap, likely, the stuff is just a mess to the people that are selling the estate..

Weigh it and offer scrap value. If anything is salvageable or worth anything you will come out ahead.

Here's question. Lets say you get one of those engines and treat it as a core. You overhaul it using whatever you need to get the job done (this is assuming you're an dA&P and know how to do these things). Can you just start a new logbook and be good to go?

Without specifics, it's hard to say. Need model/serial #s, conditions, etc.

Aircraft engines have log books to track the maintenance, modifications, service, etc. Without those logs the engines are worth a lot less. If it's just a pile of engines that weren't pickled for storage and don't have logs, they're likely worth very little.

He bought these planes with the intention of parting them out so they are all missing what parts he sold and are in various states of dissasembly..
The engines are inside so probably aren't locked up but I would consider them just good cores to rebuild..

Not enough information to give an answer.

It's the best I can do for a few days..

If you are ignorant of airplanes, you should just stay away from them.
Oxymoron..

Engines,,,,,, pictures of data tags please. You may be setting a treasure.

Engines,,,,,, pictures of data tags please. You may be setting a treasure.

I'll see what I can do but can I get a ballpark?
Are they worth $500 a piece to me if they will turn or what?
What's the upside on them? $1000? $5000?

I'll see what I can do but can I get a ballpark?
Are they worth $500 a piece to me if they will turn or what?
What's the upside on them? $1000? $5000?
Until I know what they are, I have no idea.

Where are you?

The engines are c145-2 from 172 planes..
The planes are 150s or 152s..

Barn finds for planes are generally not like barn finds for cars unless you have a rare bird. Most are scrap...plus finding a 150 or 152 is like finding an old Honda Accord.

Based on what you've told us so far, those engines are probably worthless in the aviation world. They may be worth something as scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also just because it is aviation does not necessarily mean it is valuable. There are thousands of airports all across the country with half the planes rotting in hangars cuz owners or beneficiaries think they are worth more then they actually are.

You best bet is to contact an aviation salvage yard and see if they will give you anything better then scrap value.

The engines are c145-2 from 172 planes..
The planes are 150s or 152s..

Do you realize that a 0-300-A crank shaft is worth 9k when reworked?
Timing gears are 800+ a good case is $1000. The other parts are throwaways.

But but...that's how fortunes are lost right? o_O:D

Some fortunes are lost, some are made. But the old saying is it makes small fortunes out of large ones. Or something like that.

In my case, it took a poor boy and made him middle class.

Is there any reason someone couldn't take one of those "core" engines, rebuild it, and put it in an experimental?

Some fortunes are lost, some are made. But the old saying is it makes small fortunes out of large ones. Or something like that.

In my case, it took a poor boy and made him middle class.

Yup yup.

Is there any reason someone couldn't take one of those "core" engines, rebuild it, and put it in an experimental?
Rebuild it properly by a properly rated person, you could fly it in any aircraft that it is typed for.

Back