Bumped into miracle crash survivor at Osh

I thought I was having a CO episode once. While on the ground getting the plane ready I developed a sudden severe headache. I just don't get bad headaches.

I opened my eyes to see a few people looking down at me......

No diamond shaped scar on my forehead though...

The picture of the airplane sitting there is like an X-Files scene when you couple it with the amazing story.

Yeah, that's isn't an option in this neck of the woods. Otherwise you wouldn't be flying 4-5 months out of the year.

I remember this incident in the news, because it wasn't far from here. Had a lot of no flying friends ask how it was even possible to crash and barely damage the plane.
If you go to the NTSB site and look at the docket, I'd say that the plane was likely written off.

Dan's story is amazing. He didn't set the AP (he had the same model Mooney I do, a C), he took off, cleaned up, checked in with ATC and trimmed for climb. Then passed out.

Makes me wonder what speed he had it trimmed for in climb. Vy on my J is 88kts, but after I climb a little I transition to cruise climb at ~120kts. Still, pretty awesome that the plane was able to belly in at those speeds and hold together. Sliding on hard snow frozen ground certainly helped. A miracle indeed!

I seem to recall a similar incident in a Twin Comanche, but there wasn't any snow, just some long, dry-ish grass. Plane was completely undamaged upon landing, but the long grass was ignited by the heat from the engines and the plane burned to the ground.

Back