Built tough those 767's...

Please put your trays back in the upright position.

Days like that are why I laugh when someone says that there's no issue with 250 hr. FO's. Let's go with the MCL in the US.

The only Boeing I've flown is the B747-400 and it would be a kick out the crab for me. Boeing does say that the 747-400 can be landed in a crab.

The only Boeing I've flown is the B747-400 and it would be a kick out the crab for me. Boeing does say that the 747-400 can be landed in a crab.

In the 777, anything more than 30 knots crosswind component requires landing in a combination slip/crab. Airframe parts start dragging the ground if one tries to use a slip only with those crosswinds.

Ok, what is the proper technique for a 767 with a strong crosswind?

Days like that are why I laugh when someone says that there's no issue with 250 hr. FO's. Let's go with the MCL in the US.

In the 777, anything more than 30 knots crosswind component requires landing in a combination slip/crab. Airframe parts start dragging the ground if one tries to use a slip only with those crosswinds.

The 757/767 can be landed in a crab as well, or you can slip or drop a wing.

I don't have my 757/767 manuals handy but it is discussed in them. I use to do type rides on the 757/767 and it was up to the PF to use the method of his choosing.

Didn't look that bad to me. Look at the dip in the runway too... that'd make feeling out the runway that much more difficult under those conditions.

It was really rough air. Did you see those wings flexing like crazy?

Dan

Looks like the spoilers did him in on the second landing. :D

I was flying in the UK this last week and this past weekend. To say it was windy and rough is a huge understatement. You were definitely earning your keep.

Not in the sim. I did a 54kt X-wind landing (max on AA's 777 sim) straight in on a slip and it didn't drag anything.

bah - you want tough? get a 707. An in-flight over-pressuration of the fuel system blew apart fuel lines in one wing, shedding wing surfaces and bending structural members in the wing.

No injuries.

Not in the sim. I did a 54kt X-wind landing (max on AA's 777 sim) straight in on a slip and it didn't drag anything.

One data point means it is possible. But what margin remained?

Airlines really like to have excess margin built into their procedures when possible.

I have to defer to the experts here. It seems to me slipping too much could result in an engine hitting the ground. Whatever the case, it seems to have worked. Tires are cheaper than hard parts.

You know, after watching this a few more times, I'm going to give this guy some extra quality points for really nailing the centerline - both with the first hit on the right main, and the nose wheel on the bounce.

I did one into PKG the other day right at 36 to 38kts using the standard dip kick and it worked out beautiful. Notice how the subject airplane puts the upwind gear down first correctly but does so too firmly causing a bounce that raises the entire upwind side of the aircraft to the wind- a total rookie move.

It's good to know that Monday morning quarterbacking makes its way all the way up to the airlines.

I have to defer to the experts here. It seems to me slipping too much could result in an engine hitting the ground. Whatever the case, it seems to have worked. Tires are cheaper than hard parts.

Exactly why in high wind conditions, you don't do a forward slip. The airplane has a ground contact envelope that will tell you what part of the plane will get scrapped first. It might be the engine, the flaps or the wing tip. About 6 degrees will tag the engine in a 747-400.

looks a lot like many of our landings in the AN-12. Even though it's a high wing, props 1 & 4 get pretty close to the ground in a slip. Tires are cheap, propellors and engines are expensive.

Obviously not the master of control with the outcome seriously in doubt.

I hope the pilots wrote an apology letter to the meachanics
Tires last only a few landings regardless. What do you propose is an issue for mechanics to address from that landing ?

Back