building time in piper warrior

thanks again. im looking at the POH and the checklist that was given to me by the place im rentingfrom. is it normal to turn the fuel pump on during take off then turning it off during cruise climb and turning it back on during approaches? the only time ive turned on the fuel pump in the 172 was to start the engine. other than that it would be off.

I fly an Archer III and Dakota. In the Archer, basically, fuel pump stays on when you are climbing to 1,000 feet above the ground; when you change fuel tanks; and when you do your pre landing checklist until you are safely off the active runway. I suspect the Warrior is not much different, but check the POH.

thanks again. im looking at the POH and the checklist that was given to me by the place im rentingfrom. is it normal to turn the fuel pump on during take off then turning it off during cruise climb and turning it back on during approaches? the only time ive turned on the fuel pump in the 172 was to start the engine. other than that it would be off.

The 172 SP has the pump for the fuel injection system. Otherwise it's still a gravity fed fuel system, which is why older 172s don't have/need an electric fuel pump.

With a low wing plane, the engine sits above the fuel, so if the engine-driven fuel pump craps out, no fuel gets to the engine, hence the electric which is used for takeoffs and landings as a critical backup to the engine-driven pump.

i see. so lets say we do 4 hrs round trip. and each leg was 2 hours each. we both can log 4 hrs PIC but only 2 hours of x country? am i interpreting this correctly?
Not quite. If the total flight time as defined by the FAA ("Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing") is 4.0, then nobody's going to get 4.0 in their logbook, since the safety pilot is only required when the pilot flying is hooded. Assuming you're not silly enough to taxi, take off, and land with the hood on, that means only about 1.7 will be hooded each way. Thus, they'll each log about 3.7, i.e., 2.0 flying the one leg, and 1.7 as safety pilot the other way. And only the pilot flying can log XC time, so they'll each get only 2.0 XC PIC towards the required 50.

He's looking to build time for his Commercial.

Doesn't necessarily need XC, Commerical doesn't even need to be PIC, just total time (so SIC while the other guy is under the hood would count too).

I fly an Archer III and Dakota. In the Archer, basically, fuel pump stays on when you are climbing to 1,000 feet above the ground; when you change fuel tanks; and when you do your pre landing checklist until you are safely off the active runway. I suspect the Warrior is not much different, but check the POH.

I learned in a Warrior, and that sounds almost exactly right.

Oh, don't forget, there's no "Both" setting on the fuel selector on the Warrior...gotta remember to switch tanks. I generally did it 30 minutes in, then each hour after that.

I learned in a Warrior, and that sounds almost exactly right.

Oh, don't forget, there's no "Both" setting on the fuel selector on the Warrior...gotta remember to switch tanks. I generally did it 30 minutes in, then each hour after that.

I guess the canucks agree....looks like the Bombers and Roughriders split the series this year from what I am told.

He's looking to build time for his Commercial.

Doesn't necessarily need XC, Commerical doesn't even need to be PIC, just total time (so SIC while the other guy is under the hood would count too).
i need about 80 hours so essentailly ill be doing x countries. not just flying around in circles for a few hours at a time.

I trained in Cessna 150s and 172s. I now fly a Warrior II.

One of my instructors suggests when you go for a flight that you brief the passenger to be prepared to open the door and lock it open should the engine quit and you have to land off airport to keep from having to deal with a door that you can't open.
I would also review your short field technique due to that "float". The Piper is a great short field airplane but if you come in fast and high you could end up with a problem especially if your brain freezes and you forget that go around is an option.

There are a number of accidents involving Pipers that run out of fuel in one tank and forget to switch to the tank that has fuel before having one of those off airport landings.

If you have anyone with mobility issues who wants to fly the Piper is not a great choice. I wanted to take my dad up who was in his 80s but it wasn't possible. I also have another Medicare aged friend who likes to fly but has knee issues. He has struggled getting in and out of my Piper but sometimes feels like it is worth the effort.

You certainly don't have the visibility below the wing that you do in the Cessna so you need to make clearing turns when you descend. Of course you have better visibility above you than in the Cessna.

Good luck, I would prefer to have the Cessna but the deal on the Piper is much more in line with my budget. Last time I checked the Piper was significantly less expensive than a comparable 172.

Getting someone like Ron to help you check out is a good idea. I am glad that I did my instrument rating after getting the Piper. All that instrument training helped me get comfortable with the Piper.

Last edited:
I trained in Cessna 150s and 172s. I now fly a Warrior II.

One of my instructors suggests when you go for a flight that you brief the passenger to be prepared to open the door and lock it open should the engine quit and you have to land off airport to keep from having to deal with a door that you can't open.
I would also review your short field technique due to that "float". The Piper is a great short field airplane but if you come in fast and high you could end up with a problem especially if your brain freezes and you forget that go around is an option.

There are a number of accidents involving Pipers that run out of fuel in one tank and forget to switch to the tank that has fuel before having one of those off airport landings.

If you have anyone with mobility issues who wants to fly the Piper is not a great choice. I wanted to take my dad up who was in his 80s but it wasn't possible. I also have another Medicare aged friend who likes to fly but has knee issues. He has struggled getting in and out of my Piper but sometimes feels like it is worth the effort.

You certainly don't have the visibility below the wing that you do in the Cessna so you need to make clearing turns when you descend. Of course you have better visibility above you than in the Cessna.

Good luck, I would prefer to have the Cessna but the deal on the Piper is much more in line with my budget. Last time I checked the Piper was significantly less expensive than a comparable 172.

Getting someone like Ron to help you check out is a good idea. I am glad that I did my instrument rating after getting the Piper. All that instrument training helped me get comfortable with the Piper.

Good points...but all of my paraplegic students sat in the left seat; the hand control was approved for PA-28s only (although we tried the Seneca and learned that taxiing around T-hangars was darn near impossible).

Bob Gardner

A few additional thoughts on time building. Check off as many boxes as you can. Night, actual IFR, simulated IFR, multiple approaches, missed approaches, cross country, etc. I could always tell you looked out the window and who got the actual experience.

Fly to big airports and fly to small ones. File IFR and use the system. Nothing wrong with finding a good spot for food too. Have fun. I'm still shocked today by the number of professional pilots who dreaded their early flying and were happy when it was over.

I did the same thing with a colleague of mine. He's a UPS captain and I'm an airline pilot too.

im flying tomorrow with my time building partner to martha's vineyard. we are just flying vfr since it will be a nice day. at least one of us will enjoy the view, while the other one is under the hood!

flying the piper was pretty easy. my only complaint is that im short and theres no way to raise the seat so i had to sit on a cushion plus a book.

I last flew a Cherokee about twenty years ago, one of those with the big Hershey bar wings. It was a fun plane to fly but what I remember most were the stall characteristics. They were very docile compared to the 150's and 177's I flew back then. I also remember how stuffy it was sitting on the ground. I now fly a 172S but fondly remember flying the Piper. In fact, my avatar is me in the old Cherk.

When I transitioned from the 150 I remember the landings taking some practice due to the wings proximity to the runway surface. I also recall having to trim less on the Piper when adjusting throttle but I may be wrong about that. The bird I flew also had a spar in the windshield with the compass and that took a little getting used to, but overall the transition was pretty straightforward; nothing you can't overcome with preparation. A thorough checkout is obviously advisable.

Let's put it this way....I took my wife up to experience a stall, to demonstrate that they were no big deal at altitude. I did this in an Archer, at 3500 feet. Flew it around in slow flight for a bit, then pulled a clean power off stall. She had to be told the stall had taken place.

The trim wheel on the PA28 is very sensitive, due to the stabilator. There is a similar behavior on a 177.

Back