Build or Restore?

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Hi everyone.

So I have the "N" number reserved, and my father on board to help out. My only dilemma is what to do, so I thought I would solicit some opinions from you.

I'm thinking of either 1. building a Fisher Dakota Hawk http://www.fisherflying.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=5 or have the chance to restore a 1941 Aeronca Super Chief. (guy hasn't gotten back to me on my Stinson offer so let's not bring that into the equation)

Both would be 2 place, fabric, no electric, Continental 65hp planes.
Is there an advantage to one over the other?

What say you all?

Thanks.

Are you or your dad an AP/IA? Or do you have one that is wiling to work with you? That would help lower the cost on the Aeronca.

From a price standpoint the Experimental would be cheaper depending on your scrounging abilities.

But I think the Aeronca has a bit more of a cool factor, you don't see them around near as much.

Build an airplane if you want to build an airplane, not because its cheaper, both options would be fun, but my vote would be for the cheif.

Hi everyone.

So I have the "N" number reserved, and my father on board to help out. My only dilemma is what to do, so I thought I would solicit some opinions from you.

I'm thinking of either 1. building a Fisher Dakota Hawk http://www.fisherflying.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=5 or have the chance to restore a 1941 Aeronca Super Chief. (guy hasn't gotten back to me on my Stinson offer so let's not bring that into the equation)

Both would be 2 place, fabric, no electric, Continental 65hp planes.
Is there an advantage to one over the other?

What say you all?

Thanks.

Building is very different from restoration IMO.

Building from a kit or from scratch means inexpensive parts (or materials) for the most part, and everything is new - no corroded metal, no cracks, no layers of rust and paint, no wallowed out holes or dodgy previous repairs. Beyond that, you get to make everything fit the way it is supposed to fit from the get-go.

Restoration is much more difficult. First, you have to clean, inspect and prep everything. Cleaning up an old steel tube fuselage is a JOB. Then you get to evaluate and make repairs. Much more difficult than building new, IMO. Also, when restoring, you have to exactly follow the prints (or the example parts you have). That means that substituting materials or making cosmetic (or ease of manufacturing) changes on cosmetic items is a no-go. Beyond that, unless you have a lot of great circa 1940 65CA parts, you're gonna have to scrounge a lot or reinvent methods to make things. Try making the bottom cowl and nosebowl for a 65CA. Not easy (and you can't buy 'em commercially).

I've done the kitbuilt thing (RV-6), a decent part of a Hatz scratch built, and am currently restoring an Aeronca Champ. IMO, the Champ restoration is a bigger challenge than the others. Oh, and when I'm done with the Champ, I have two 65CA projects to keep me busy.

Building is very different from restoration IMO.

Building from a kit or from scratch means inexpensive parts (or materials) for the most part, and everything is new - no corroded metal, no cracks, no layers of rust and paint, no wallowed out holes or dodgy previous repairs. Beyond that, you get to make everything fit the way it is supposed to fit from the get-go.

Restoration is much more difficult. First, you have to clean, inspect and prep everything. Cleaning up an old steel tube fuselage is a JOB. Then you get to evaluate and make repairs. Much more difficult than building new, IMO. Also, when restoring, you have to exactly follow the prints (or the example parts you have). That means that substituting materials or making cosmetic (or ease of manufacturing) changes on cosmetic items is a no-go. Beyond that, unless you have a lot of great circa 1940 65CA parts, you're gonna have to scrounge a lot or reinvent methods to make things. Try making the bottom cowl and nosebowl for a 65CA. Not easy (and you can't buy 'em commercially).

I've done the kitbuilt thing (RV-6), a decent part of a Hatz scratch built, and am currently restoring an Aeronca Champ. IMO, the Champ restoration is a bigger challenge than the others. Oh, and when I'm done with the Champ, I have two 65CA projects to keep me busy.

Kyle I appreciate the personal insight! I may give you a holler from time to time if you don't mind to bounce ideas off you.
I'm not going to lie, while I LOVE LOVE LOVE vintage airplanes there is something about it being brand new.

Back