Build or purchase something with 2200 nm range

acd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
acda
Hi all,

I just found this site on a search, apologies if it's not the correct place. What I'm looking for is to purchase or build (preferably build because it would be more fun) something with sufficient range to get me where I want to go, yet not too big. That means I don't really want a Citation... My goal (which may well be impossible) is something 4-seater-ish with a bit of luggage which could go from the mainland USA to Hawaii. Example is KSAN to PHTO (2200 nm-ish).

I like the idea of a Lancair IV-P but it's got half the range that I want. The only other options with "ultra high range" top out around 1800 nm. I certainly appreciate the safety concerns of heading out across the wide Pacific with a single engine, but twins use more fuel, thus are even more of a unicorn for something with that range.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd definitely appreciate it. What I'm looking for may well be impossible and I should just give up, and I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

Thanks!

Geesh. I’m sorry but that mission request is ridiculous. “4 seater-ish with a bit of luggage to go from mainland USA to Hawaii” lol

Is this serious!?

I know a guy in my hometown that had a big nice Citation that couldn’t make the Hawaii leg. He had business there and wanted to be able to go when he wanted. He sold the citation and bought a big Falcon.

Heck southwest just now made plans for their first Hawaii flights.

I honestly hope this is a joke / troll?

Well, I did suggest that it might be a pipe dream. :) I looked up the RAI-6 XR and it's a bit short (2000 nm). So it seems like fly commercial to Hawaii as others said. It's fine if it's not possible, it just decreases my motivation to have my own if I have to pay someone to fly me to that location.

This is the closest thing I know of to meet the OPs criteria.

It's a "build-it-yourself".
I'm sure a bit of fuel can be left off to allow for two more passengers.;)
And it refutes the OP's "twins as unicorns" remark. Tsk, tsk. (Although I recall it flew fine for extended periods on one engine) :D

IMG_0376.JPG

Awesome that you post this! I was actually on Memphis Center a few months back and the controller started asking another plane some questions about their trip. He had somehow figured out this was an around the world trip (leg). When I got home I did a little research (actually posted about it on here) and discovered it was these folks.
When my wife and I flew to Sedona AZ for breakfast last August we happened to park next to their RV-10. I noticed the registration mark and looked it up when I got home. I got on their Facebook page and followed them the rest of their trip.

P8171484_02.jpeg

Anything with that range is going to need a bathroom as well!

Well, I did suggest that it might be a pipe dream. :) I looked up the RAI-6 XR and it's a bit short (2000 nm). So it seems like fly commercial to Hawaii as others said. It's fine if it's not possible, it just decreases my motivation to have my own if I have to pay someone to fly me to that location.

So this really is a serious desire. Yeah I’m sorry but it’s a pipe dream and I really don’t mean to sound harsh.

In a piston single this is a mission that fits into two criteria: 1- ferry plane to new owner 2- around the world trip (one time event and likely one of the most challenging legs of that journey). Both of the above scenarios involve quite a bit of modifications to the plane.

More than a bit short. What if you have a headwind or there is weather at your destination airport? I’d want “more than a bit” of extra fuel for a flight like that.

I'm guessing you're not currently a pilot. What I'd suggest is that you look up a local flight school and take an introductory flight. After that, I think it will become apparent why you wouldn't want to fly that far in one of these airplanes.

Figure that a high performance single will get you 160 knots at cruise. If there's no wind, which is almost never the case, that's 14 hours enroute, plus departure and arrival. If there's a headwind, it's even longer. Even if such an airplane existed, why would you want to do that to yourself? If you're going to spend that much money on travel, go get yourself a nice business class seat on an airliner.

The appropriate mission for the airplane you're speaking of is 200 to 600 nm.

I haven’t looked to see if this couple is on there but there’s a bunch of round the globe stories at Earthrounders.
http://www.earthrounders.com/zu_ihf.php

On their Facebook page Sylvia Foster posted most of the daily reports and photos during their journey, but occasionally Brian wrote detailed and entertaining "Captain's Log" posts. Here are some of them:
https://www.facebook.com/sylvia.foster.5492/posts/348529898911924
https://www.facebook.com/sylvia.foster.5492/posts/358545147910399
https://www.facebook.com/sylvia.foster.5492/posts/366888417076072
https://www.facebook.com/sylvia.foster.5492/posts/381797575585156

I’ve always been impressed with how many 182s have puttered all the way around the globe.
Here's a Commander fitted out and ready for Australia, by way of Hawaii. Note the fuel tanks in the cabin, and the external HF antenna. A swatch of duct tape protects the exterior from damage by the antenna. The left-hand door is very convenient in this instance.

2070212.jpg

Last edited:
Just get a Merlin IIIB for $300K and you can do it. 2600nm range. Reasonable to operate. Plus, you want a twin over the pacific.

Just get a Merlin IIIB for $300K and you can do it. 2600nm range. Reasonable to operate. Plus, you want a twin over the pacific.
Said no pilot ever.

Merlins are kind of like Beechjets. No pilot willingly flies them unless they are getting paid.

Just buy a ticket and sip on adult beverages in first class. Much more comfortable, safe, and probably cheaper than what you want to do.

With a huge wet footprint.

Just buy a ticket and sip on adult beverages in first class. Much more comfortable, safe, and probably cheaper than what you want to do.

There aren't any first class flights available to Hawaii from the Continental US. (Selling a Business or 'Economy Plus' seat and calling it first class doesn't count).

Guess you can fly to Japan, and then back to Hawaii...

There aren't any first class flights available to Hawaii from the Continental US. (Selling a Business or 'Economy Plus' seat and calling it first class doesn't count).

Guess you can fly to Japan, and then back to Hawaii...

How do you define first class?

The description says 200 gal, 2900 miles and 4 pax. In the specs it says 140 gal and 2000 miles. Not sure which one is correct but either way, that makes for a long, uncomfortable flight. But, I know guys who have done the crossing non stop in single engine planes before.

How do you define first class?

Lie flat beds with mattress and sheets, inflight showers, inflight lounge, multi-course meal with Chrystal, China and steel cutlery, fewer than six passengers per FA.

I consider that the minimum. What Singapore / Emirates and Etihad now do with suites or multiple dedicated seats/beds per passenger is a level above first.

Lie flat beds with mattress and sheets, inflight showers, inflight lounge, multi-course meal with Chrystal, China and steel cutlery, fewer than six passengers per FA.

I consider that the minimum. What Singapore / Emirates and Etihad now do with suites or multiple dedicated seats/beds per passenger is a level above first.

Bahahaha!

The description says 200 gal, 2900 miles and 4 pax. In the specs it says 140 gal and 2000 miles. Not sure which one is correct but either way, that makes for a long, uncomfortable flight. But, I know guys who have done the crossing non stop in single engine planes before.

I would hope it was non-stop. :eek:
And then there's this now infamous dude that didn't quite make it.

Which one is a bigger pipe dream? This one or the 1500nm XC solo?

OP , sorry nothing useful from me here

I would hope it was non-stop. :eek:
And then there's this now infamous dude that didn't quite make it.

At least he had a First Class rescue ship near to pick him up after losing a very $$$,$$$ airplane.

So this really is a serious desire. Yeah I’m sorry but it’s a pipe dream and I really don’t mean to sound harsh.

In a piston single this is a mission that fits into two criteria: 1- ferry plane to new owner 2- around the world trip (one time event and likely one of the most challenging legs of that journey). Both of the above scenarios involve quite a bit of modifications to the plane.
I'm late to the party, but Peter Garrison (of Flying, and other publications) has built such a plane. http://www.melmoth2.com/index.htm The progress blog is nice; the specs are under "Topics".

A friend flew his C-206 from San Francisco to Honolulu. Not for fun, but because he needed it there. Add that to the list of things I never want to do!

Back